FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro CS4 and Xena LH A/V sync

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Levy
Premiere Pro CS4 and Xena LH A/V sync
on Aug 10, 2009 at 4:47:06 am

I just shot some beautiful video with my Sony XDCAM EX1 and wish to edit with Premiere Pro CS4 and my AJA LH card. The clips all play fine, with perfect AV sync, in XDCAM ClipBrowser. However, when I import them into Premiere Pro CS4, they play out of AV sync on the timeline. Clips are all 1920x1080 30ffp, 35 MB/sec.

Anyone have similar problems with Premiere Pro editing and the AJA LH? I'm using AJA Xena 4.1 software.

Might I need a separate audio card, beyond the native audio on my Dell Precision Workstation 7400 and the audio capabilities of the Xena card?

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: Premiere Pro CS4 and Xena LH A/V sync
on Aug 10, 2009 at 1:49:45 pm

Keep in mind that you need to monitor the video and audio at the same 'place'. If you are watching the video on the AJA card's video output, then audio played back from the computer's internal audio output will not appear to be synced. If you are monitoring audio from the AJA card and watching the material on a computer display attached to your computer's display card (NOT a video monitor attached to one of the AJA card's outputs), then it will also not appear to be synced.

The video and audio need to be following the same route to get there simultaneously...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Daniel Levy
on Aug 10, 2009 at 3:59:04 pm

That's exactly the problem. I'm watching video on my PC monitor and audio is running through the Xena card.

I've got the Xena card attached to the component input of a Sony Hi-Res monitor, but am not seeing the signal. I've set the analog video output in Machina to Component SMPTE. What am I doing wrong? (The monitor works fine when I'm capturing Betacam through component inputs or DV through the SDI input.)

My Sony monitor doesn't have an SDI input.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Aug 10, 2009 at 10:22:02 pm

How are the rest of the output settings set up? Make sure you're feeding out SD if it's a standard def monitor...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Daniel Levy
on Aug 12, 2009 at 8:36:28 pm

I'm feeding BetacamSP Component to the monitor. Interestingly, the system plays fine on the external monitor with SD only footage. I dumped some DV25 footage in via SDI and it plays beautifully.

I then contacted AJA tech support. The head Xena guy says he can't get XDCAM EX footage to play through his system either. Says he'll talk with the engineers.

So for now, it appears that the Sony XDCAM EX and the Xena card are incompatible. That's a huge problem for the company, as my sense from this year's NAB show was that the XDCAM EX has become the industry standard entry-level HD cam.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Sep 8, 2009 at 1:25:38 am

Well...keep in mind that CS3/4 edits EXcam natively, so it's not like your rig can't cut it.

I've been converting for output up to now anyway as the xena didn't support it natively in past versions.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]