FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quadro cards

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Kosmicki
Quadro cards
on Aug 4, 2009 at 5:11:56 pm

I am putting together a Xena system (LHi)and have a question about GPUs. Does installing a higher-end card like a 4000 or 5000 series card improve AJA's real-time preformance more than a mid-range card like a FX 1500? I understand the higher-end card's improvements with the system as a whole, but I am just talking about AJA specifically.

Does AJA cards use the GPU for any accelleration of playback or effects? There is a bit of difference in cost and I am wondering if it worith the price to go with the high-end card.
thanks,

Jeff Kosmicki
http://www.toyraygun.net

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
Re: Quadro cards
on Aug 5, 2009 at 1:38:18 pm

As far as I know, Xena cards (or similar I/O hardware) is "self-contained", and does not use any GPU processing. The driver reliability in "workstation-class" graphics cards is worth considering, though. (such as FX vs. GeForce)

Your mileage may vary...

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Aug 10, 2009 at 1:45:33 pm

What AJA does and what Adobe does are two different things. AJA is indeed 'self-contained' and AJA functions don't require a workstation-class display card.

However, After Effects and now in CS4, Photoshop, use the GPU for faster response during composition. After Effects uses the GPU for working previews and Photoshop CS4 uses the GPU to manipulate images very rapidly.

As Jeff notes, the Quadro cards have drivers that are typically more stable and have better compatibility with other pro hardware...like AJA.

As far as a Quadro 1500 vs a bigger card, it's like adding RAM after you have the minimum required for your application...it all helps. When it comes to video workstations, I don't recall anyone ever having an issue from an 'over' configured system.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Jeff Kosmicki
on Aug 11, 2009 at 1:36:30 pm

Thanks for the info. guys. I will probably go with a 3000 series card, a good compromise between price & power.

Jeff Kosmicki

Return to posts index

Jeff Kosmicki
on Sep 1, 2009 at 6:05:25 pm

OK, so I got the LHi and a Quadro card up and running. I have been using ATI cards for the past few years and have not used an Nvidia in a while.
The problem I am having is with the Nview software, it does not seem to work with hardly any applications, and certainly not CS4.
Is anyone out there using a Quadro FX card on Vista with 2 monitors? I can't seem to get CS4 apps to open full screen (covering both monitors) without having to hand stretch the corners every time, and all the child windows open in the center between the 2 monitors. Obviously Nview is supposed to fix this, but CS4 and just about every other program seems to ignore the Nview settings.
If anyone has a workaround I would appreciate it.

Jeff Kosmicki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]