FORUMS: list search recent posts

Xena 4.1.1 on Vista x64 Problems

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Newton
Xena 4.1.1 on Vista x64 Problems
on Jul 27, 2009 at 2:23:34 pm

Hi,
I hope someone may be able to help us. We have a Xena 2K card with the latest 4.1.1 drivers. We use this with Premiere Pro 4.1 running on an HP workstation running Windows Vista Business - 64 bit version.
The main problem we have is when an mpeg-2 file is imported the red bar shows up on the timeline. If we then hit return to render it, instead of a green line and the ability to output to tape, all that is output is a blank green screen. If we do not render it we can see the correct output on our broadcast monitor. Once rendered, we just get a completly green screen albeit with the correct audio playing!
This also happens if we import a still tiff file. The files are the same format as the project. i.e in this case PAL. These problems do not arise using Premiere Pro CS3 on the same system using the 3.5 drivers.
Any ideas?

Thanks for your time

Kind Regards

Chris

Return to posts index

Bram Tulloch
Re: Xena 4.1.1 on Vista x64 Problems
on Jul 29, 2009 at 3:32:57 am

My first reaction to this is regarding your statement "These problems do not arise using Premiere Pro CS3 on the same system using the 3.5 drivers."

Might be a silly question, but you aren't running both drivers at the same time are you?

If not (and I'm not even sure if you can!), you're uninstalling the 3.5 drivers properly before installing the 4.1.1 drivers? It seems to me like a driver or codec problem you're having. What's your project set up? Is it rendering to a quicktime format in an AJA Xena preset? If so, the release notes state you need quicktime 7.6. Maybe this is your problem?

I haven't seen this problem but I am shortly going to be updating to a similar set up to yours (I'm currently running CS3 on Server 2008) so I'll be following this thread with interest.

hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Chris Newton
on Jul 29, 2009 at 9:44:39 am

Hi Bram,
Thanks for your post. I am just running the 4.1.1 drivers at the moment. The system captures and lays back to tape perfectly. When you are using an AJA quicktime everything works fine. However, if you want to bring in a file that has a different codec. i.e. an MPEG-2 file or quicktime with H.264 it will not render it properly. Like I said before it just outputs a green screen! I have contacted AJA, but they have not got back to me. This problem has occured ever since they released the 64-bit 4.x drivers. Is anyone running premiere pro 4.1 on vista64 with a xena 2k successfully? Like I said the same hardware works perfectly with premiere cs3 and 64-bit 3.5 drivers.
Everytime they have updated the drivers I thought it might fix the problem but it hasn't. I have had to roll back the drivers to 3.5 and use cs3 in order to keep this production machine working properly.
If anyone has any ideas please send them my way.

Thanks a lot

Regards

Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Newton
on Aug 5, 2009 at 8:21:42 am

Hi,
I have solved the problem. I decided to change the 'Preview file format' in the 'sequence settings' dialog box from '720x576i PAL 48KHz 32bit float' to '720x576i PAL Wide 25fps 48k 32 bit float'.

It seems that if your preview file format is in a different aspect ratio to your project settings then it will not work. This makes sense but I did not have to set this manually in CS3.

Hope this helps someone else

Cheers
Chris

Return to posts index

Bram Tulloch
on Aug 13, 2009 at 4:16:44 am

Good to see this fixed your problems.

I've just moved over to CS4 and 4.1.1 Xena drivers.

Mixed results.
Had many stability problems with 4.1.1 on all formats (SD PAL, HD 23.98, 24 and 25)

Moved back to the 4.1.0 driver and now everything seems happy again.

Problems I was finding were crashes when attempting to export out an AJA quicktime (yes I used the AJA quicktime exporter). Problems where my timecode offset when capturing would randomly change (usually it would be set at 1 frame offset, but then suddenly I'd have to change it to 5 frames) to get a frame accurate capture.

Also when capturing SD pal, if I clicked off Premiere during capture, then back on again, it would crash. It once even told me to "restart Xena driver".

So back to 4.1.0 and haven't had those problems again.

Bram

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]