FORUMS: list search recent posts

CS4 & New Vista64 Drivers ??? ASIO Driver Nope

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Johnson
CS4 & New Vista64 Drivers ??? ASIO Driver Nope
on May 5, 2009 at 11:15:49 pm

Well finally we get the CS4 Driver's :) But, only Vista 64 no XP64.
Okay, here we go went to Vista 64. Premier works sluggish ( Even with
a Quadro 1700 ) capture is acting wierd, have to play with the AJA
settings several times to get it to capture. Oh no don't open Soundbooth CS4 cuase you wont be able to get the ASIO driver's to
capture a VO just like in CS3 no change (CS2 worked). I will try Audition 3.1
soon.

I am very displease that to capture just a VO I have to go to Premier
and just crash record ( not the VO audio function a real capture window ) to get a VO in my computer.

Please AJA you have some windows user's too.

Ryan Johnson

Return to posts index

Brent Myers
Re: CS4 & New Vista64 Drivers ??? ASIO Driver Nope
on May 6, 2009 at 4:20:49 am

I am also having problems with the new CS4 drivers, but with Vista 64. After waiting for the CS4 drivers for about 6 months and finally hoping to use the new CS4 Production Premium software, several problems have come up. I am trying to open a project creating originally in CS3 into Premiere Pro CS4. The audio continues to conform each time I open the project after saving it. Also, the conformed audio files are continuing to built on my hard drive and do not overwrite the previous ones. After creating a title and placing it on the timeline, I get a green screen and no title. After contacting AJA about the numerous problems (many undiscovered as yet), they say the problem will be corrected "very soon". That was 11 days ago and no fix.

Return to posts index

Ryan Johnson
on May 6, 2009 at 4:42:22 am

I also am using Vista64bit. Next I found out that AE will only
preview your comp window to a monitor at only half rez not full.
All settings have been check twice. I will continue to report more finding as they come...

Ryan

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 6, 2009 at 11:29:02 pm

Well, I won't defend AJA's drivers as being perfect... I'm still in the process of getting CS4 running on a Vista boot for my workstation, though I plan on keeping my XP32 boot systems in place as well...

However, I know I ran full rez comp previews on at least two of the NAB machines in the booth... I set them up myself and they worked fine.

Like I said, I don't have Vista running yet in my suite so i can't double back on this for you yet, but can you describe what's going on with AE a bit more?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Ryan Johnson
on May 7, 2009 at 9:11:47 pm

Tim,

At NAB were the Vista 64 machines ? In AE I keep getting mixed results. Sometime after restarting the program I get a Full rez preview but, after working a while it just goes away. Test paterns
work all the time but, this driver needed to be Beta tested before
a qiuck NAB release. It is very buggy. I would have loved to Beta test it for AJA just to get a stable release. I can't use this for work in AE or Premier. I wonder if the LHi board has the same issues ? The ASIO problem is a major peeve for me. I just finally upgraded to the LH three month's ago from th HS and paid a good $
for it and this stink's. Now I'm wonder if Sony Vegas is anything I
can do paid work with. I should have stayed with CS3 and XP32.
Sorry for my rant.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 8, 2009 at 1:41:14 pm

We had three Windows machines there...all Vista I think...I ran at least two of them with AE previews looping for extended periods of time.

What quality is the UI comp overlay set to? I did notice that in order to get realtime comp preview playback (to the limit of the RAM of course), I reduced the size of the computer screen overlay to 25%...keep in mind that your display card needs to carry the water for an After Effects preview. Even though the AJA card is displaying that image, the Open GL capability in your computer creates it. If you don't have a pretty sturdy display card, the bottleneck could be there.

On the drivers...they were certainly beta tested.

I think many people who don't beta test have a somewhat romanticized notion of it. In my case, I typically try to run one entire system that doesn't need to do real work so i can beta test. Beta testing on your primary work system is perilous as beta software doesn't care if you're working on a billable project or not. In the case of these new CS4 drivers, you almost HAVE to use a Vista 64 machine to get enough RAM available to rule RAM starvation out as a possible cause of malfunction.

When you're installing/uninstalling/installing a procession of software revisions, that can take a lot of time. Documenting and recreating crashes to track their origin takes a lot of time. Software that you are running to discover problems STILL HAS problems. Beta testing crashes computers. That's the point.

Knowing enough about all the capabilities of any given piece of software so you CAN actually test all parts of it is a rare thing. These days there are so many workflow methods that nobody can possibly anticipate every possible variation that every user will come up with...

Those of us who try to do this and do justice to the process spend great deals of time working with the software and typing bug reports and procedures and specific circumstances along with particular configuration information, and even then we'll run into something where the one format we don't use has some sort of problem that we didn't detect. If none of us have a project with a DPX sequence at the time beta testing is going on, there may be a specific issue that goes undetected...or maybe it's restricted to a certain bit depth or framesize of a certain file type that nobody happened to have at their disposal to work with...no beta tester can drop everything they're doing to make a living to run a complete feature/workflow matrix test.

So, I'd put my name in for the next round of beta testing if you'd like to, but be prepared to spend some time on it (...and no, you won't find every glitch in the software either.)

Those of us who do this aren't sleeping on the job, it's just that we're all involved in our own workflow and that's what we test. I use a DAW program with an interface for voiceovers for example, so ASIO drivers for live mic recording doesn't even hit my radar. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be important to you, I'm just saying that there are lots of us using AJA cards for years that haven't been requesting this so it's possible that your workflow isn't as common as you might think...

There is always more to the story than most of us can possibly know. If we want to buy something, you better believe that a manufacturer is more than happy to sell it to us if they don't have some obvious roadblock.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Ryan Johnson
on May 8, 2009 at 5:00:49 pm

Last card I had in ( HS ) the drivers let me do a full :30 spot at full rez with comp window size of 100% with XP32 and my Quadro 1700 card ?

I beta tested for Speed Razor 3 (Windows3.11)thru 5.51, DPS(TBCVI w/ PAR card,PVR w/Daughter boards) and Boris Effects.... Now all about the pain. Back then our job's depended on us being on the "Bleeding edged of technology" or we didn't get the job.

In my opinon, a video workstation should have the ablility of a DAW also. I like to use XLR connectors as inputs don't you ? Audio is half our job isn't it ? I shouldn't have to dust off the old A4V DPS board to get pro audio in my beefy editing computer. The last poster needs ASIO, too.

I wish I had been at NAB at your booth and asked you what you were running and you think...it was Vista ????? Then, I would put you throuh the mill on testing. That's what NAB is all about :) My wife even love's to talk to Adobe guy's at thier booth. She swears that she's never upgrading again until CS50. :)

I hope AJA fixes these problems so I can go back to "the now not so Bleeding edge" of CS4 that's a year old.

Ryan

Return to posts index

Pete Clouston
on May 7, 2009 at 3:09:40 pm

I'm also disappointed with the lack of ASIO drivers. After the long wait, it was really a letdown.

Return to posts index

Arnaud Paris
on May 31, 2009 at 12:31:41 am

So AJA,

Any news on the issue with AE CS4 not getting any preview to the Xena when going full res (for me and for others it only works in half res)

There has been a lot of wait for these drivers, would be great to get some info on what's happening.

Thanks,

Arnaud

4K Red Digital Cinema in Paris
http://www.locared.com

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jun 27, 2009 at 4:38:21 pm

Just a late add to some of the conversation in this thread...as far as CS4 acting weird with Vista64 and an NVIDIA display card...

I know that I have to update the BIOS on my machine for Vista 64...I use four displays fed by a Q4500 and a Q560 and the 560 won't light right now.

You may want to check what BIOS and device driver updates your system may need for some of this stuff.

As far as the audio input...I can see where you're coming from, I guess I've typically used a little ProSonus Inspire box for that as I have my guitar/line inputs there as well. It's a bit more flexible for me.

These little boxes are certainly cheap enough...not the answer you were hoping for perhaps, but maybe a workaround?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]