FORUMS: list search recent posts

File Sequences with Xena

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Brown
File Sequences with Xena
on Aug 26, 2008 at 2:39:56 pm

A curious issue:
File sequences (SD or HD) do not read from my new CalDigit RAID. Black screen in Premiere (asset length & info is correct), and no loading in Machina. The same sequences do read from my internal RAID, though it's not fast enough for RGB playback or capture. QTime capture/playback is fine (even in HD). The CalDigit tests at 300+ MBS read & write.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Greg Beckt
Re: File Sequences with Xena
on Oct 10, 2008 at 5:23:32 am

Hi Jeff,

Were you ever able to determine what was causing your issues??

I'm trying to determine what issues are causing several issues with my system.

Xena+PPro+CalDigit

Thanks,
Greg

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Oct 10, 2008 at 12:37:46 pm

Hi Greg,
I've made some progress by updating to ALL the most recent CalDigit HW and SW drivers. HD720 sequence play in Machina, and can be used in Premiere (non-RT) via "Premiere file seq", but not "AJA file seq" import. HD1080 is still problematic.
I tested with various combinations of stripe sizes and block format, basic vs. dynamic disks, none of which affected the ability to use sequences, though I did get the best read/write speeds from 256K stripe size and default block size on a dynamic volume: R/W of about 300/400 MB/sec, and that's with a PCI-X connection.

that's all i know at this point,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Greg Beckt
on Oct 17, 2008 at 11:48:07 pm

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.

I finally got an opportunity to test my system. Updated all drivers, firmware, software, etc across the board...reduced media on the RAID to about 20%...defragged everything and checked all settings.

I still can't get 1080i 10bit to playback consistently. I'll get about 6-15 seconds of playback and then the stuttering starts, eventually freezing up for long periods. And this is with just cuts only and no audio.

I get good numbers for read/write using the AJA test tool, but playback in BOTH PPro and Machina are not there.

Not sure if our issues are related but I'll let you know if I find out any more info.

Greg

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Oct 24, 2008 at 1:22:05 pm

Hi Greg-- boy that sure sounds like the same problem, no? Thanks for the update. I need to get a table of my results to CalDigit and AJA; I'm wondering if there's something with the CalDigit driver and large chunks o' files. The AJA board should handle it fine: I'm pretty sure SpectSoft uses Xena hardware in their RAVE systems, and they get playback/record of 2K DPX files, though it is a dedicated Unix box (DDR).

-jeff

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Oct 25, 2008 at 1:38:21 am

Jeff,

We are using the OEM version but our driver also supports both the Kona and the Xena (it's all the same to us). In fact we used Kona 2s many years ago because there was nothing else and still have a few customers running on it today using the same driver that we have for the 3s. File system plays a large role and we are on a Linux solution, running a vanilla kernel. Helps to have OS and file system pros on the team......

Also keep in mind that we have been doing this for about 8 years so lots of years of experience under our belt of putting out a solid all in one solution together :)

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Oct 27, 2008 at 1:47:12 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, Ramona. I was citing RAVE as proof that the hardware is certainly capable of what Greg and I are fussing with. You do have the advantage of not having to go thru Windows to get things done!

-jeff

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Oct 28, 2008 at 8:50:29 pm

Jeff,

Ah, confirmation correct.

Taking the clutter out of the mix certainly helps. Not sure if you can really do that on other OS platforms :)

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

Greg Beckt
on Oct 31, 2008 at 2:13:31 pm

Hi Jeff,

Wanted to let you know that I did end up having a drive in my array that was starting to go bad. Outside of the performance drop, it wasn't really apparent via check disk, etc...but I worked with CalDigit to test all the drives individually to isolate it.

I have two S2 VRHD enclosures and am able to have a simple 1080 timeline playback continuously with just one enclosure while I get the other drive replaced.

I'll let you know if the performance holds up when I jump back into a real projecct with all the audio/preview files, etc.

Greg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]