FORUMS: list search recent posts

video stutters

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boronat Dario
video stutters
on Jun 9, 2008 at 11:36:47 pm

After completing a project AND RENDERING all of the effects (most clips have a color correction, a move of some kind, and a Boris lighting effect) - when playing back the sequence, the video stutters when going from clip to clip. The stuttering is not consistent in that it will not stutter in exactly the same place each time, it just generally stutters as it is going from rendered clip to rendered clip...

NOTE - video stutters both in ourboard monitor fed directlly by I/O card and in window monitors in program.

In past experience with other NLE's once clips are rendered they play back without any problem... Anyone else seeing this or have any ideas?

Working in SD 486/720 8 bit

RAID is completely de-fragged

System:
HP xw84oo
6 GB RAM
Twin Quad Core processors (2.5)
AJA Xena HLe video I/O card
Quadra FX 3450 video card
Areca ARC-1110 SATA RAID controller card
3 TB Raid comprised of four 750 Drives

Return to posts index

Greg Beckt
Re: video stutters
on Jun 10, 2008 at 3:20:11 pm

I believe there is still a "bug" which makes playback stutter when your Master Audio meter is visible. There's a thread on the Cow if you do a search. I've been having playback issues too and am hoping this is the cause, but haven't been able to test it because my machine has been down for maintenance.

So try closing or scrolling your window so the meter is not visible and see if that works.

Return to posts index

Boronat Dario
on Jun 10, 2008 at 9:12:31 pm

I tried playing out the project with the audio meters turned off. Sorry to inform that it made no difference - the video still stuttered. I might say that it was slightly better, but not by much.

I experimented and opened a PP SD/NTSC project and imoported my AJA project into it. After rendering it out, it played without any problem - no stutters at all. Did sacrifice some quality though.

This gives weight to my suspicion that the problem is with the AJA/Machina software solution.

If I can't solve this problem I will have to junk the AJA card and look for another solution.

Dario

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Jun 11, 2008 at 2:57:04 pm

[duplicate]

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Jun 11, 2008 at 2:58:36 pm

Dario--
The COW is a good place to start, but for something like this, you should email AJA directly. Their support has been very good for me. Look under the "support" section of the (aja.com) website, they should help you fix things promptly.

-jeff

Return to posts index

Shawn Michael Lee
on Jun 11, 2008 at 3:40:17 pm

I've actually found their support to be completely lacking lately. I have e-mailed twice with valid questions and I get no response. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the impression that if they can't fix a problem, they choose to ignore it.

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Jun 12, 2008 at 11:31:32 pm

Hi Boronat,

The issue you're seeing is not the same as the Master Audio Meter issue that Greg mentioned above. That one causes poor response time from the Keyboard and Mouse, not stuttering video.

If you are having stuttering video on RENDERED segments, there is almost certainly a data bottleneck either in your disk system or on your motherboard.

The just as a hunch, I would ask if you are keeping your project files on your C drive. If you are, then rendered segments will also be placed there, and not on your RAID. This would certainly cause the issue you're describing. Try placing your project files on the RAID, then delete the rendered segments and re-render them. Adobe will then be storing these new rendered segments on the RAID and your issue should go away.

If this does not solve your issue, I recommend you call our support line for further assistance.

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

Butch McDonald
on Jun 16, 2008 at 10:02:31 am

I am having the same issues as described... jittery renders.
All media is going to an array with plenty of space (defraged & error checked)
After experimenting I came to the conclusion that there seemed to be some field issues. It appears that the renders were playing back or rendering in a different field order. My project was XENA preset 720x576 Pal DV. I think Pal DV & NTSC are always lower field first and everthing else is upper field first. So my next step was to setup a new project with Xena's 720x576 Pal preset which would be upper field first. I repeated all my tests and everything seemed fine. So in conclusion I think I have either missed a setting somewhere or something is going on inside Xena or premier(Cs3) that's not quite right. If anyone can shed any more light on this issue it would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Butch

Helping others gives you good cowma.

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Jun 16, 2008 at 4:50:16 pm

Butch,

Are your DV files ones that you are capturing via firewire, or are you capturing DV using the XENA from SDI or Analog sources?

What effects are you rendering to see this problem?

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

Butch McDonald
on Jun 17, 2008 at 12:39:26 am

When I use DV it's from a 422 controllable deck with SDI out, everything plays normally except anything that is rendered plays fields in the wrong order.
The only reason we use AJA's dv preset is to have the system running a bit faster and save on space, but at the moment we will just use 8bit SDI until we can work out what's happening.
It's a weird one... I'll try to do more testing and see what I can find.
Cheers
Butch

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Jun 17, 2008 at 4:13:48 pm

Butch,

Can you post the exact name of the AJA preset you used? Also, in the project where you are having the problem, do you have your video rendering set to DV or is set to 8-Bit YUV (which I believe is the default) ?

I am thinking that you used our 480i preset which may have its default preview rendering set to 8 bit yuv upper field first. If you are then capturing DV, the captured material may have a different field dominance than the rendered material.

If this is in fact the case, change the video rendering settings to use the DV codec in your Project Settings, and see if that resolves the issue.

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

Dario Boronat
on Jun 17, 2008 at 5:15:37 pm

I have found some other behavior which I will detail in a moment. I agree that AJA should be involved in the solution of this issue and I have sent them a DVD illustrating the problem - I should be on the phone with them tomorrow trying to de-bug the system. I will post the outcome of that call here.

Comments to rest of thread:

1- I have found that the stuttering problems is alway terrible the first time I play back a section AFTER rendering. Playing it a second time produces greatly reduced stutter errors, and playing it a third time produces an almost perfect playback (but there is ALWAYS a minor error somewhere). It's almost as if somewhere the program is indexing files to the timeline playlist. Estremely peculiar

Another symptom I have observed is that when the machine stutters, it literally stutters on the timeline, momentarily freezing TC output and monitor outputs.

2- I have all my media files pointed at that RAID, so there are no files on separate drives that could slow down the system.

3- I have also experienced the field based jittery video that Butch refers to. As with his experience, it only happened when bringing in video via FireWire. If I brought in the video from the same machine via an analogue source, the video was fine. What I found was that I only got the field jittering problem when importing firewire from my old Sony DSR-11. I have replaced that machine with a new HVR-1500 and have had no problems with importing via FireWire, Analog or SDI. I would do a test with a different machine and see if you have the same experience.

Return to posts index

Butch McDonald
on Jul 8, 2008 at 12:17:36 am

Sorry for the delay on this issue... just got back from Holidays.
I will do more testing today and post details soon.
Cheers

Return to posts index

Greg Beckt
on Oct 9, 2008 at 10:13:36 pm

Were there any resolutions or info that came from this thread??

I'm having similar problems that I need to resolve (lots of problems wth a current project). Hope to do some testing next week, and it would be great to have info on any issues regarding renders/previews and the mix of different formats.

Greg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]