FORUMS: list search recent posts

3.1 Drivers causing After Effects issues for me

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Orlowski
3.1 Drivers causing After Effects issues for me
on Jan 22, 2008 at 1:50:50 pm

While trying to troubleshoot my failed previews in Premiere Pro 2.0 (see thread below), I upgraded my Xena LH drivers from 2.6 to 3.1--the latest.

While that didn't solve my previews from failing (blame QuickTime 7.4 for that), the upgrade to 3.1 did cause me grief in After Effects 7.0 (we all here still use the CS2 suite).

After installing the 3.1 drivers, in AE, EVERY time I do the SLIGHTEST modification of a clip or a timeline, my external SDI monitor (720x486 resolution), jumps in and out of "sync" for about 3 seconds.

You may ask, what's the big deal, but it's EVERY TIME I scrub the timeline, add a drop shadow, change the transparency of a clip, etc. It doesn't matter what I do; the monitor goes out of sync, and I can't do anything in AE until it jumps back into sync.

I'm assuming that the AJA card is temporarily outputting an incompatible signal, thus causing my monitor to lose sync until the card outputs a good signal. Perhaps it's jumping to HD for a brief moment, then back to SD? I don't have an HD-compatible monitor, so I can't test this.

So, I'm reverting back to gold old 2.6--it seems that everything worked well for me with that driver release.

Unless the [seemingly absent as-of-late] AJA tech guys have a better solution.

--
James Orlowski
RYNO Production, Inc.
http://www.rynoproduction.com
800-860-7966

Return to posts index

Greg Beckt
Re: 3.1 Drivers causing After Effects issues for me
on Jan 29, 2008 at 5:22:10 am

I haven't had the "sync" issue but I just finished a project that was a mix of 10bit HD and SD images and the performance of RAM previews are definitely taking a hit with the AJA preview on.

I went thru several tests of adjusting RAM amount, disk cache, purging, reboots...then I finally turned the AJA card off and the performance and stability definitely increased.

I do about 80% of my work in AE, so this is a pretty big issue for me.

I'd be curious to hear of any other evaluations of RAM Previews with the AJA card as well.

Return to posts index

jamski
Re: 3.1 Drivers causing After Effects issues for me
on Jan 29, 2008 at 3:15:38 pm

Try downgrading to 2.6.

2.6 is pretty flawless for me.

--
James Orlowski
RYNO Production, Inc.
http://www.rynoproduction.com
800-860-7966

Return to posts index