FORUMS: list search recent posts

XENA LH Premiere CS3 issues.

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Coates
XENA LH Premiere CS3 issues.
on Jan 18, 2008 at 1:31:43 pm

Hi,

We are experiencing playback problems with our Xena LH/Premiere CS3.

Firstly, the audio is around 3 frames out of sync when using the AJA ASIO.

The main problem however is that play/pause command will sometimes take a few seconds to respond, sometimes it won't respond at all and Premiere will have to be restarted. This happens about 30 times a day and makes editing virtually impossible.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Is it a faulty card or a common problem?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Tim

Return to posts index

Ted Barnett
Re: XENA LH Premiere CS3 issues.
on Jan 18, 2008 at 1:54:51 pm

Tim

It sounds to me like a hardware conflict...Try moving the card to a different slot...

I have a LHe in a HP 8400...Constant crashes...moved card to a Dell 670...works like a charm...

I then put a Axio Le in the HP box..It now works like charm..
No reinstall of any software....

I think it's to many devices sharing the same IRQ...

Ted Barnett
LoneWolf Interactive

Return to posts index

Greg Beckt
on Jan 26, 2008 at 11:33:06 pm

This happened to me as well. I believe it's a QT issue.

I changed my project to AVI and everything was back to normal.

Greg

Return to posts index

Tim Coates
on Jan 27, 2008 at 9:49:02 pm

I don't think it's that as we soley use AVI. Incidentally, we have the same problem whether it's SD or HD. Any other ideas? Is everyone else completely happy with the performance of this hardware when used with Premiere? It's literally unusable for us at the moment.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

TC

Kind Regards

Tim Coates
The Electric Picture Co.
London - Brighton UK

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Feb 13, 2008 at 9:48:52 pm

Tim,

Can you give specifics please about:

Disk System and controller
Computer System
Operating System
Project Resolution/framerate
File type you've captured to

What you're describing is neither a common problem, nor a symptom of a faulty board. It sounds like you have a data bottleneck somewhere in your system.

Return to posts index

Shawn Michael Lee
on Feb 18, 2008 at 5:50:13 pm

I am also experiencing similar problems since upgrading from 2.0 to CS3. I installed the newest drivers for XENA LS. Now, in an AJA project, I lose all control when working in the timeline. Tapping the space bar or J-K-L keys can take from a half second to 4 SECONDS(!) to get a response.

If I import the same footage (.avi using DV codec) into a default Adobe project, one that does not use the XENA card, I have full control.

Again, this has only started happening after the upgrade. I was fine with PPro2.0 and whatever AJA driver I was using at the time (sorry, I don't know which one I had installed then).

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Feb 19, 2008 at 5:08:20 pm

Shawn,

Can you describe your situation in more detail?
1) Are you having problems with a project that you started in CS2, then converted to CS3? Or one that you started in CS3? Or both?

2) Are all your clips DV clips?

3) Does this occur in a new project with only one clip loaded, or does it just occur in larger projects with hundreds of assets loaded?

4) Can you specify your system specs for us?

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

Shawn Michael Lee
on Feb 19, 2008 at 7:24:09 pm

1)both. Creating a new project or opening an old one yields the same results.

2)Yes. To be sure, I captured new DV footage. Same problem. I capture 8-bit AJA avi, no problem.

3)My first project was with many DV clips. A later test project with only one or two clips produced the same results.

4)HP xw9300 Workstation with 2 dual core Opterons, Nvidia FX3450, Creative Xi-Fi, Xena LS, Adobe CS3 Production Premium, 4GB mem, 500GB RAID 0 drives.

Also of note: 1) I installed the P2 card manager for Panasonic DVCProHD at the same time. 2) If I remove/delete the audio from the DV files, the lag seems to disappear.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Feb 20, 2008 at 1:19:29 am

Shawn Michael,

I have been trying to reproduce the problem you're describing and have not been able to do it.

1) Do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card installed?
2) Do you have ALL available windows updates installed?
3) What is the source of your DV Files? are you capturing them via firewire? If so, could you attach a couple of tiny (only a few frames each) files to an email to support@aja.com so we can try to test them here?

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

Shawn Michael Lee
on Feb 20, 2008 at 4:45:16 pm

1) Do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card installed?
2) Do you have ALL available windows updates installed?
3) What is the source of your DV Files? are you capturing them via firewire? If so, could you attach a couple of tiny (only a few frames each) files to an email to support@aja.com so we can try to test them here?

AJA XENA Support

1)I have the same video drivers that were current as of Dec07. I don't think that there has been an update since then.
2)All Windows updates are installed.
3)Some files are firewire. Some were SDI captured to DV25 Quicktime coded in Machina. I will send yo ua sample later today.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tim Coates
on Feb 25, 2008 at 11:57:26 am

We have also noticed that if we remove the audio from the track, the lag seems to disappear...

Kind Regards

Tim Coates
The Electric Picture Co.
London - Brighton UK

Return to posts index

Shawn Michael Lee
on Feb 25, 2008 at 5:43:11 pm

Very interesting. I've actually changed cards. Didn't fix it. I went back to Premiere 2.0 and there were no problems. It's a CS3 problem as far as I can tell. I'm working with the guys at AJA now. I'll let you know what we find out.

Return to posts index

Tim Coates
on Feb 25, 2008 at 6:10:47 pm

Great thanks! Please let me know what you find out.

Tim

Kind Regards

Tim Coates
The Electric Picture Co.
London - Brighton UK

Return to posts index

Shawn Michael Lee
on Feb 25, 2008 at 7:17:34 pm

Tim,

It sounds like you and I have the same problem. It's a problem that AJA is have trouble reproducing. It would help to know what it is that we have in common that may be causing this. I'd like to give you my specs and apps. Let me know if you have anything similar. There is a common link there somewhere, I think.

My setup:
HP desktop XW9300 with 2 dual core Opteron 270 chips (4 cores total)
4 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 3450
Two SATA 250GB media drive in RAID 0 configuration (40% free)
One 80GB System drive (36% free)
Creative Labs X-Fi sound card
XENA LS (NOT LSe) running ver.3.1 drivers
Quicktime 7.4 (the culprit in the past)
Adobe CS3 Production Premium, everything installed.
Adobe Audition 2.0
Adobe Acrobat 8.0
Adobe Lightroom 1.2
Panasonic's P2 Card manager software (I installed this at the same time. Let me know if you have this installed as well)
Genarts Sapphire 1.x installed on After Effects only

See anything that stands out? Let me know. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tim Coates
on Feb 26, 2008 at 10:37:35 am

Hi Shawn,

We have the LH (not the LHe) -currently in a 133MHz PCI-X slot. The only thing that is the same on your list is Premiere CS3! We only ever use AVI -so it's not a QT problem.

Perhaps it is a problem associated with the PCI-X versions of these cards?

It can take up to 20 seconds to respond to a keyboard STOP command (spacebar)!

We can play/stop/cut/etc uncompressed 10 bit HD with no problems without audio. As soon as there is audio on the timeline the problems persist. Strangely, we can play/stop clips with audio in the source monitor fine. -It's the timeline that is the problem.

Kind Regards

Tim Coates
The Electric Picture Co.
London - Brighton UK

Return to posts index

Shawn Michael Lee
on Feb 26, 2008 at 2:42:16 pm

"... Strangely, we can play/stop clips with audio in the source monitor fine. -It's the timeline that is the problem"

Exactly the same problems here. In the source monitor it's ok. On the timeline...bad.

I'm trying the LSe card today to see if it's the PCI-X problem you mentioned. Also, Thad at AJA believes it could be a bad uninstall/reinstall. I may not have removed everything I needed on the upgrade. I hope to work with him today. I'll let you know what works.

Return to posts index

Tim Coates
on Feb 26, 2008 at 2:56:42 pm

Excellent. I'd be interested to see how it goes.

In an effort to fix our problem we did a fresh XP SP2 install (including all updates). We then installed just the Xena card and Premiere CS3 -the problem was still there! So personally, I doubt it's an uninstall/reinstall problem...

Kind Regards

Tim Coates
The Electric Picture Co.
London - Brighton UK

Return to posts index

Shawn Michael Lee
on Feb 27, 2008 at 4:33:48 pm

Tim,

Reinstall did nothing. LSe card in PCI-express slot did nothing. All problems are still there.

But, I did learn something else just a moment ago. In the AJA plyback options, if I change the resolution from 720x480 to 720x486 (despite the fact that all of my footage is 720x480 DV or 8-bit AJA and my project is a 720x480 project) it actually works as well as if I turned the audio off. By that I mean that it stops, but jumps 2 frames everytime. That's the best I can achieve.

I don't know if you are working with SD or HD footage. But, maybe you can try this and let me know if it works. Unfortunately, the footage stretches a little and gets blurry on the desktop. Otherwise, I would just leave it like that.

Return to posts index

Shawn Michael Lee
on Feb 27, 2008 at 7:12:53 pm

Tim,

We have been able to find the problem and recreate it at AJA. Now they are working on finding a fix. But, here is a quick fix in the meantime. You probably have the audio mixer open. Take the edge of that panel and drag it to the right until the Master channel is hidden. That's it. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. If you see the meter, it has lag. Hide the meter and it works great.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

Tim Coates
on Feb 27, 2008 at 11:25:28 pm

Wow, that is strange. We'll try it and let you know. How come it seems to be just us!?

Thanks

Tim

Kind Regards

Tim Coates
The Electric Picture Co.
London - Brighton UK

Return to posts index

Tim Coates
on Feb 28, 2008 at 4:04:28 pm

Hey, this works for us too! We do kinda need the audio meters though..

Kind Regards

Tim Coates
The Electric Picture Co.
London - Brighton UK

Return to posts index

Shawn Michael Lee
on Feb 28, 2008 at 5:35:49 pm

You only need to hide the master meter. You can leave all of the channel meters visible.

If you want, you can then go to Window>Audio Master Meters.
The lag will be back, but not nearly as bad.

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Feb 28, 2008 at 6:17:10 pm

Hi Shawn and Tim,

Thanks from both of you for helping us diagnose this one. As Shawn said, we can now see the problem quite easily, now that we know the audio mixer must be open, and the master exposed to reproduce this problem. We're looking into it further now.

As shawn specified, hiding the master level meter in the audio mixer is an easy workaround for the time being.

Thanks,

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

Tim Coates
on Feb 20, 2008 at 4:48:12 pm

Hi AJA support, answers below:

Disk System and controller: Infortrend RAID with 24 x 750GB SATA connected via 2 x 4GB FC

Computer System: Asus DSGC-DW with 2 x Quad Xeon 2.66GHz

Operating System: Win XP sp2

Project Resolution/framerate: ALL

File type you've captured to: AVI

Thanks

Tim

Kind Regards

Tim Coates
The Electric Picture Co.
London - Brighton UK

Return to posts index

Ken Schreiner
on Mar 2, 2008 at 4:15:49 pm

I have the same problem with spacebar/pause but deleting audio clips and hiding the audio meters doens't work. This is a custom work station. I'd be happy to share the specs if someone from AJA would like them.

Return to posts index

Ken Schreiner
on Mar 2, 2008 at 11:07:08 pm

BTW Shawn: Thanks for the tip! Playing back 720x480 in 720x486 makes my spacebar work correctly. It's a hassle going back and forth but I have little choice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]