FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA audio device for system audio?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Brown
AJA audio device for system audio?
on Nov 28, 2007 at 12:19:33 am

Would any of you folks happen to know if it's possible to have WinXP send system audio to the AJA ASIO device (Xena) instead of my sound card. The AJA audio works fine in Machina and Premiere, but does not show up as a choice via Control Panel "Sounds and Audio Devices".

Not crippling, but I'd rather disable my onboard audio, as I never trust motherboard audio drivers...

Thanks,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
Re: AJA audio device for system audio?
on Nov 29, 2007 at 6:47:06 pm

Jeff,

If you could do this, it may be something you don't want to do. Windows plays its system sounds at a rate around 20-30kHz which is probably less than the rates you are using in your NLE or DAW application (above 40kHz). If Windows wanted to "beep at you" while you are editing, it could/would cause a sample rate conflict.

This is why some ASIO drivers only allow one application to "use them" at a time (e.g. DigiDesign). The Aja ones may not have this limitation, but I've never used my Xena to monitor sound.

Having your built-in mobo sound chip dedicated to Windows sounds might actually be a good/preferred thing :)

Jeron

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Nov 29, 2007 at 9:16:01 pm

Well, I don't use system sounds... hate 'em!
And I only have sound from one app at a time when working, so if it's possible, I think I'd be OK with it.

-jeff

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Nov 29, 2007 at 9:40:39 pm

In that case, you should be able to turn off system sounds in the Control Panel somewhere, then turn off the sound chip in the BIOS and uninstall the drivers.

You might even be able to get by with just disabling the sound chip in the BIOS without turning off the system sounds.

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Nov 30, 2007 at 9:40:45 pm

But- aside from system sounds, there are sounds I use (Pandora, audio in Combustion, QuickTime) that play through the system device.
Hence my question...

-jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]