FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aja Xena LS vs Declink extreme

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rwspires
Aja Xena LS vs Declink extreme
on Nov 22, 2007 at 6:22:31 pm

Getting ready to build a system. Thoughts on this comparison?

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
Re: Aja Xena LS vs Declink extreme
on Nov 23, 2007 at 6:20:31 pm

[rwspires] "Getting ready to build a system. Thoughts on this comparison?"

For the types of projects I do, Aja seemed a better choice.

The better you can describe how you plan on using the card; e.g. type of footage you work with, basic workflow needs, delivery formats required, etc., the better information someone can give.

Return to posts index

rwspires
on Nov 23, 2007 at 11:03:19 pm

Capture ... In and out .. SD and HD 10 bit

Return to posts index

rwspires
Is Xena 64Bit Compatible
on Nov 24, 2007 at 12:08:57 am

?

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
Re: Is Xena 64Bit Compatible
on Nov 24, 2007 at 7:13:18 pm

Xena

Return to posts index

rwspires
on Nov 24, 2007 at 7:57:25 pm

Sorry I don't get it

Return to posts index

David Tait
on Nov 26, 2007 at 5:49:57 pm

AJA does not offer any 64bit drivers. Support indicates that they are in early beta. I had to resort to dual booting with XP pro to get the card to work.

Return to posts index

szumlins
on Nov 26, 2007 at 11:43:43 pm

Last I had checked, CS3 was not a 64-bit suite anyway, so what is the impetus to go to XP 64? Just curious.

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Nov 29, 2007 at 4:10:33 am

We have been on 64bit for over a year using Kona/Xena/OEM 3 boards, catch is it's our own driver.....

But yes it is possible.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

david tait
on Dec 5, 2007 at 12:34:00 am

What OEM drivers are you using for x64?

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Dec 8, 2007 at 9:20:35 pm

David,

Sorry for the delay, been on vacation. It is our own, we wrote it to work with any of the AJA boards. Our product RaveHD uses it, along with our own driver for an LTC board. Again, all 64bit compatible, on it for over a year (also works on Intel 32bit though).

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Nov 25, 2007 at 3:59:14 am

[rwspires] "Capture ... In and out .. SD and HD 10 bit"

Both solutions capture SD and HD 10-bit basically the same way. It isn't like one captures better than the other. There isn't much to be said to compare the capture functionality of the two.

This is an Aja forum, so the advice to buy a Xena should be expected.

If you want to be more specific than 3 incomplete vague sentences, by asking certain questions on functionality or how a specific application supports one or the other or specific workflow questions then maybe that would make it easier for people to give you the information you are looking for.

Return to posts index

rwspires
on Nov 25, 2007 at 4:24:37 am

Your first sentence was fine .. you know sometimes a person doesn't know all the things to ask .. anyway thanks for the obviously difficult advice..

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Nov 25, 2007 at 9:49:47 am

You are welcome. I'm glad all you card about is SDI 10 bit capturing. That should make your decision very easy.

Good luck with your decision.

I hope the card you choose works well with whatever applications you are going to use it with and with whatever media formats you will be capturing into (uncompressed or compressed). Hopefully you choose the right disk controller and the right hardware to support it if you are capturing into uncompressed hd. Hopefully, if you are capturing into a compressed format, the codec will perform well with whatever software applications you are going to be using that needs to work with that codec.

I hope whatever monitor (broadcast, computer, tv) you plug into the card in whatever manner you choose, (SDI-SDI, HD-SDI, Component, Composite, etc) works just great for your needs as well with all of those applications you will be using with the card.

I also hope whatever source material are editing, be it dv tape, hd tape, hdv, etc., gets ingested properly into whatever format you have chosen to work with.

I hope you are happy with the interaction between the card and whatever deck or camera you choose to connect to it and that you don't have any problems if it involves deck control via RS422.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Nov 26, 2007 at 2:47:28 pm

First...the AJA "LS" is a standard-definition card only. The LH and LHe are the HD cards and the 2K/2Ke jump up to 2K resolution.

Also...the Black Magic card has a video compression codec included with the card that some seem to like and others don't, so it's uncompressed OR compressed in its workflow.

AJA's cards without loading any additional software are uncompressed cards. High quality, but higher data rate as well. For uncompressed HD you'll need some fast harddrives as well, which can easily cost more than the rest of the system combined if you plan on having the ability to load more than an hour or two of footage at a time.

...I'm not sure what the other specifics of your usage would be, so just like Jeron, I don't really have a direction to go without writing a small book and unfortunately very few of us have time for that...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Nov 27, 2007 at 4:35:56 pm

[Tim Kolb] "...I'm not sure what the other specifics of your usage would be, so just like Jeron, I don't really have a direction to go without writing a small book and unfortunately very few of us have time for that..."

I envy your tact, Tim :)

This was the point I was trying to make. I assume the OP wants help deciding what to buy, but he needs to help us; help him, by spending some real effort describing what he wants.

In lieu of that, someone has to donate many hours of their time writing a detailed thesis on every difference between the two solutions. That is like spending all day shooting arrows into the dark hoping to hit the mark, when the OP could just turn on the lights, and make it easier to aim.

If the OP won't spend any effort writing to provide some more information, it makes it hard for someone else to take the request seriously and put any real effort in trying to provide the information.

I can understand that maybe the OP doesn't know enough to ask the right questions or maybe English is not his primary language, making it difficult to communicate the right questions or information.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]