FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA LHe and Cineform

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Eary
AJA LHe and Cineform
on Nov 20, 2007 at 9:07:11 pm

I recently ordered an AJA LHe card to be used with Cineform. Al though, I just realized that the card does not support 4:4:4, 8 channel AES, and up/down conversion.

How important is it using RGB (4:4:4) compared to (4:2:2)? I am planning on doing CG Effects and thought it was important to get the maximum quality and colors.

Is there a way to split the 8 channels of audio on the SDI port and conncet it to a 5.1 speaker system? This would of been easy with AES. Is there a work around? I should note that the SDI will be connected to LCD monitor using the AJA Hi5 (HD/SD SDI->HDMI) convertor.

Cineform does not support the 2K card currently. I ended up ordering what they recommended without verifying the specs. So will this card work for me or should I just purchase the 2K card? I do have a broadcast monitor I planned to connect analog.

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
Re: AJA LHe and Cineform
on Nov 20, 2007 at 9:23:43 pm

The LH will perform down-conversion, just not up-conversion.

Which Cineform product are you using?

I'm pretty sure the LH will only do 2 channels of audio. I use a Digi002 for my multi-channel audio. There are many decent priced multi-channel audio hardware solutions out there that you could use instead of the Aja ASIO driver.

Return to posts index

Richard Eary
on Nov 21, 2007 at 1:51:15 am

I never thought about that approach. So replacing my Sound Blaster with a professional audio could would resolve my audio issue. Have you had any audio sync issues by not using the audio on the AJA card?

So that leaves me with one last question. Do I really need 4:4:4 color compared to 4:2:2 color? I have always used 4:2:0 or 4:2:2. So have no reference to the different between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2. Al though, I do plan to work with animation and CG and believe that preview the actual color would be important. I noticed the AJA 2K says that it is broadcast quality. The AJA LHe doesn't mention broadcast. It seems that having 12 bit color would be important when working with motion picture. What about broadcast? Sorry for running on and on... but how important or not important is it to edit in 4:4:4?

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Nov 21, 2007 at 2:37:45 pm

I've never had any problems with audio sync because I was using different audio hardware than the Xena. If audio is important to you, get rid of that Sound Blaster and plug in some active powered near field monitors.

I'd be surprised if you "needed" 444. I think if you really needed it, you wouldn't have to ask the question if you did :)

Return to posts index

Richard Eary
on Nov 21, 2007 at 3:48:05 pm

How would you compare the audio from a professional audio card to the audio from the Xena card? I would expect it would be about the same (16/24-bit 48khz).

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Nov 21, 2007 at 4:12:32 pm

I've never used the Xena card to monitor audio, but I would suspect it is pretty much the same quality. If you only need 2 channels, use the Xena card.

I have a 5.1 surround setup (2 front, 2 rear, a sub and a center channel) active powered monitors connected to a Tascam surround monitor connected via ADAT to a Digi002 Rack for audio.

Return to posts index

Richard Eary
on Nov 21, 2007 at 5:20:36 pm

I have been interested in the Mackie Onyx 1200F FireWire audio interface. This would be replace the audio from the Xena card and provide (192khz 24-bit). Al though, I am not sure if it would cause any issues since it is based on Firewire.

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Nov 21, 2007 at 6:11:40 pm

My Digi002 rack is firewire and it isn't causing any problems.

Return to posts index

Richard Eary
on Nov 21, 2007 at 7:18:11 pm

So the product may work well with my system configuration.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Nov 26, 2007 at 2:30:48 pm

I've been attempting to run down a few things on your issue...

First, I do have one question...if you are doing visual effects, why the need for 8 channels of audio? I'm concerned about sync in a system configured with an external card, and that would drive you nuttier than simply dealing with a stereo sync track I would think...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

Richard Eary
on Nov 26, 2007 at 3:28:23 pm

The stereo channels which come with the AJA LHe are fine. I only wanted to have the ability to work with 8 channels if needed.

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Nov 29, 2007 at 4:07:43 am

Can't speak for how other apps perform using the audio thru AJA boards but we do not have an issue with either 8 channels AES or up to 16 embedded.

We support both audio out of the header of the DPX and multiple waves, with both Sync is dead on.

* We use Kona/Xena/OEM 3 boards

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]