FORUMS: list search recent posts

can not do an insert edit with machina and LHe

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pekin
can not do an insert edit with machina and LHe
on Nov 13, 2007 at 5:09:07 pm

i have to say aja's support team is not a very good one... i wish i had sticked with decklink...at least no headache!

i payed about $3500 for this board! Yes, that's how much it costs in Turkey!
This is my sys.: intel S5000XVN board - dual dual core 3GHz CPU - 2 GB ram - quadro fx 540 GPU 2,67 TB of Raid for storage only... aja driver 3.0.1

This is my problem:

i can not do an insert edit using the machina software. and i have to do an insert with machina! (print to tape does work - but, it screws up the timecode so i cannot use it) So why can't this software do an insert edit? Decklink can...Avid can!!!!

Do help please!

i really need it.

Pekin

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
Re: can not do an insert edit with machina and LHe
on Nov 13, 2007 at 8:35:16 pm

What happens when you attempt an insert edit?
Do your timecode setting match? (all drop or all non-drop, Machina and tape).

What tape machine are you using?

[By the way, support from AJA has been much more responsive than DL from my recent experience]

-jeff

Return to posts index

pekin
on Nov 13, 2007 at 9:06:44 pm

Hi, i am using Sony DVW500P digibeta vtr... it just does nothing.....but, if i hit the play button on the vtr, then it starts to go to the "in point" and after preroll it makes it look like it's doing the insert. But, when i check the casette it's just black.

non droped frames...

Sorry to say i had another issue with this aja card... they responded that time, but no solution....

here goes... i have a quadro fx 540 at the moment..all is well (other than my insert problem)... i then got a pny quadro fx 570 and not when i install GPU, but, when i install the driver for the fx 570...i get a blue screen saying hardware malfunction....but, when i put my fx 540 back or if i keep the fx 570 and remove the aja all is well...... no one... nvidia, pny, or aja solved it! So now i have a fx 570 in the closet and i bought a fx 4400 on ebay hoping that will work...it hasn't arrived yet...

So aja support is not that good....actually it's not good....

P.

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Nov 13, 2007 at 10:14:09 pm

Hi Pekin,

Be sure to do the following things when you are insert editing:
1) Only enable the audio channels that your deck supports. If it only has 4 channels, shut of all the audio channels in the insert edit controls exept for channels 1-4.
2) Be sure to always use tape that is striped before it is used for the first ime
3) Be sure that 'Preview Edit' is not checked on. This will not actually complete the edit, but will only go through the motions and do a fake edit

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

pekin
on Nov 13, 2007 at 10:38:32 pm

Hi, first i would like to say thanks for the reply... i had filled a form on the aja site but, this is my first reply ever on this subject.... i am sorry to say i have done all of the above... i will check with my sony tech. just in case i need to do something with the vtr's menu... i will let you know.

Pekin

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Nov 13, 2007 at 9:55:13 pm

It is a shame you've had such bad luck with Aja support. They have the best support I've ever dealt with in the realm of NLE software and hardware.

What did Aja say about this "insert edit" problem? Just because they couldn't solve the FX 570 problem doesn't mean they can't help with this.

Can you use Premiere Pro? (I've never had to do an "insert edit" to tape, so I can't visualize it) If print to tape works, can you some how manually set the timecode so it prints that? (I doubt that is possible w/ Premiere Pro, but worth a shot)

I'm curious where they left your FX 570 problem, too. I know that card is very new. I've gotten new nVidia cards that took many months of driver releases to get the card to work properly.

The current version of nVidia drivers 162.65 dated November 9, 2007 has "Add driver support for the following NVIDIA Quadro products - Quadro FX370, Quadro FX570, Quadro FX1700 and Quadro NVS290" listed in the Release Highlights. Did they really only introduce support for the FX570 four days ago? (Also, I assume you've tried this driver and verified it still doesn't work)

Sometimes, when nVidia comes out with a new card like the FX 570, you even need to even get a BIOS update to your motherboard (that happened with my gaming machine when the 8800 came out).

How many versions of the nVidia drivers have been out that support the FX570 card? I wouldn't be surprised if the problem isn't an issue with Aja and their drivers but more with nVidia and their drivers, even though the symptoms seem to say differently.

Return to posts index

pekin
on Nov 13, 2007 at 10:50:46 pm

Well... The aja support tech. just replied.... that means if i fill a form on their own sight, i will get no reply...but, if i write here i do....

i have tried all available drivers for the fx570

i can't use premiere... i don't want to spend more money and don't want to learn a new software... i do have avid media composer and xpress pro....but, i want to be able to output from my fx machine with aja and machina....

the fx 570 is sitting.... the pny people here didn't want to change the card....so i bought a fx 4400 on ebay.... i guess the fx 4400 is old enough to work with the aja? we will se when it comes.

i have had 3 decklink cards so far....not a problem... i just liked the idea of inputing and outputing dpx sequence with xena..

Maybe my aja card is not functioning right... i don't know...

i hope i can at least solve the insert edit problem...

i also have to say that the aja seller (baran ltd.) was supposed to get back to me 3-5 days ago on the insert issue... they didn't do a good job either...

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Nov 14, 2007 at 1:55:11 pm

Getting poor support from a reseller is different than getting support from AJA...

I've never filled out a form on their website as I'm close enough so that I can call tech support when they're open, maybe they'll take a look at the web procedure now that you've mentioned it.

My experience with AJA tech support has been very, very good. I run two PNY Quadro display cards to support 4 displays on my system and working out how they fit together IS an area that requires some attention. As we all pursue faster and faster editing systems that treat our display cards AND/OR our I/O cards as accelerators, or at least catalysts, we will experience some situations where both devices will be in conflict.

What was AJA's take on the issue?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

pekin
on Nov 14, 2007 at 2:55:54 pm

What was AJA's take on the issue?

so far the only reply i got is in this thread.... We will figure it out.... but it doesn't have to be so painfull..

Pekin

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Nov 14, 2007 at 3:26:14 pm

...so I assume you've checked all the points outlined in the AJA support message and the problem persists?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

pekin
on Nov 14, 2007 at 5:25:32 pm

...so I assume you've checked all the points outlined in the AJA support message and the problem persists?

YES.

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Nov 14, 2007 at 4:00:46 pm

The FX570 is "PCIe 2.0 compliant" and I'm pretty sure your s5000xvn motherboard is PCIe 1.0. Now the FX570 is supposed to be backwards compatible with PCIe 1.0, but I've seen issues with AGP where the cards were supposed to be backwards compatible with earlier versions of AGP and they weren't.

I'll bet your FX570 problem has to do with this. Maybe the firmware of the FX570 and/or motherboard BIOS need to get the PCIe 2.0 -> PCIe 1.0 backwards compatibility ironed out?

If the FX570 isn't handling the PCIe 1.0 backwards compatibility properly, it might be trying to draw too much resources from the bus. That could explain why, when you have the Aja board on the same PCI bus, it flakes out.

Return to posts index

pekin
on Nov 14, 2007 at 5:34:38 pm

Maybe, i don't know...the fx 570 works with the aja... it doesn't work if i try to install the driver for 570... if that is caused by what you are saying, i will have the bios updated...

Pekin

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Nov 14, 2007 at 6:23:25 pm

[pekin] "the fx 570 works with the aja... it doesn't work if i try to install the driver for 570"

This is where you sort of loose me. You made a comment like this in the other thread that I didn't understand.

You are saying that "the fx 570 works with the aja" yet it doesn't work if you try to install the driver for the 570.

So the 570 works if you don't install a driver; e.g. running in "windows plug-in-play" mode?

It still sounds like an nVidia driver issue to me and not an Aja issue. I wonder if the system would work with the FX570 and another PCIe card in the machine in place of the Aja card?

When I read reviews of the "second generation PCI-Express" cards, like the one toward the bottom on this page...

http://www.behardware.com/news/lire/14-09-2007/

... and see quotes like...

"One interesting detail, according to the same sources, is that these last three cards will support second generation PCI-Express. The PCI-E controller inside the G84 will be capable of functioning at the speeds of the new norm, however, its specifications will not be entirely supported in hardware. Therefore, certain drivers and bios will be necessary in order for it to actually function in practice."

... it gives me some concern when it comes to trying to run these cards on "first generation PCI-Express" motherboards.

Return to posts index

pekin
on Nov 14, 2007 at 6:14:50 pm

So the 570 works if you don't install a driver; e.g. running in "windows plug-in-play" mode?

yes...yes.... it only works in plug-in-play mode....

i somehow solved this problem.... i bought an fx 4400... but, i will do a bios update...

my important problem is insert edit.... i really need help with this one....

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Nov 14, 2007 at 3:45:11 pm

[pekin] "i have tried all available drivers for the fx570"

I'm curious, how many drivers there have been for the FX570?

Since you tried the one that was released Friday afternoon, 4 days before this post, then you probably were working during the weekend or at least late on Friday night? If so, I'd be upset too, if I were you :)

Typically, Aja responds to the posts on Creative Cow as replies to those posts. They respond to posts on their their web site as emails. How many working days did it take them to respond to the post on their web site? Monday was a holiday in the US, so if you put the post on their web site while you were working during the weekend, it may not have been seen until yesterday.

You've also checked the motherboard manufacturer's site for BIOS upgrades? Like I said in my previous post, I've had to do that to solve problems just like the one you are experiencing.

Since the graphics card is new, I still question if this is an "Aja not supporting nVidia" issue or an "nVidia not supporting Aja issue".

Return to posts index

pekin
on Nov 14, 2007 at 5:39:54 pm

How many working days did it take them to respond to the post on their web site?

it has been about a week....

and the reply that i got was to my post in creativecow... i still didn't get a reply to my inbox from aja support...

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Nov 15, 2007 at 3:41:42 pm

Pekin- I suspect & hope the slow response from AJA tech was an anomaly. I emailed them about a non-critical issue, and had a response in a couple of hours.

-jeff

Return to posts index

pekin
on Nov 15, 2007 at 6:01:18 pm

ok... i will send them a new e-mail..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]