FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Xena and DVCPRO (IEEE1394)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jamski
AJA Xena and DVCPRO (IEEE1394)
on Oct 23, 2007 at 6:44:01 pm

Are the AJA Xena cards on a Premiere Pro system capable of dealing with DVCPRO, specifically as it relates to the use of DVCPRO over Firewire (IEEE1394)? If not, will they be?

The reason I ask is, I stumbled onto a site that states that Panasonic's DVCPRO's DV output doesn't conform to the Blue Book DV standard, thus resulting in some NLEs not being able to handle footage ingested from a DVCPRO source.

Here's the link: http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html#1394

Read the paragraphs under the header, "What's the deal with DVCPRO gear and 1394?" (Funny title.)

Apparently, Sony's DV and DVCAM decks conform to the Blue Book DV standard, whereas Panasonic deviated a bit--just enough to cause issues.

This may be my whole problem with our Panasonic AJ-HD1400 deck (read my woes in an earlier thread). We may be beating a dead horse trying to get this to work. We may have to go to the Matrox camp to get our deck to function for us without crashing our workstations.

That website is the closest thing I've gotten to an answer. Not even calls into AJA resulted in any plausible solutions. Perhaps because there aren't any solutions with DVCPRO and AJA.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
Re: AJA Xena and DVCPRO (IEEE1394)
on Oct 24, 2007 at 4:07:18 pm

I remember your other thread, but not the specifics.

I think the only support you are going to currently get is HD-SDI ingestion into uncompressed media with the Aja. I've used my Aja card with HDV captured through firewire and HDV captured through an HD-Connect-LE through the HD-SDI as uncompressed HD. It works great with the uncompressed HD.

You are only going to capture compressed footage via firewire and I've found that using the Xena when working with compressed footage is pretty much a step backwards with my workflows due to it having to dedicate resources to convert everything to uncompressed HD. With compressed footage, Premiere Pro is far more stable and responsive when working with the Adobe presets.

The Xena shines when you need to deal with uncompressed footage through SDI or component I/O (depending on what card).

If you are working with DVCPro and Premiere Pro, then I recommend looking at the new MOTU V3HD device, http://www.v3hd.com/

Return to posts index

jamski
on Oct 24, 2007 at 4:21:36 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Our problem is, however, that our AJ-HD1400 tends to crash our Xena LH workstations no matter WHAT port we use to capture: SD-SDI, HD-SDI, or the Firewire.

So, we can't even reliably ingest any of our DVCPROHD footage.

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Oct 24, 2007 at 5:28:31 pm

Jamski,

I think there are a couple things you are trying to do here and I can hopefully try to provide insight into both of them.

1) In Premiere Pro, there is DVCProHD Support, but it is my understanding that this new implementation is primarily for use with P2 Media and so it is for file based workflows, not for DVCProHD capture from tape. I dont think you can capture DVCPRO HD to Premiere Pro via firewire.

2) Using AJA XENA for uncompressed capture via SDI or Component should work, youll need to control the deck via RS422 rather than firewire to do this. If you're connecting to the LH via SDI and RS 422 without the firwire connected, please elaborate on the capture settings youve set inPremiere Pro... also describe the crash in more detail.... Blue Screen? Premiere Crashes? What if you capture in Machina?

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Oct 24, 2007 at 5:37:57 pm

Oh yeah, I remember you were having RS422 deck control issues too when trying to capture through HD-SDI.

If I remember right, you could "crash-record" just fine through the HD-SDI not using the RS422 deck control, but of course that is pretty useless when you need to batch capture.

In your research, did you find anyone complaining about RS422 deck control issues with your deck like you did with the firewire; e.g. are the RS422 problems Aja or Deck problems?

For what it is worth, I have no RS422 deck control problems using my Sony M10U deck -> firewire -> HD-Connect-LE -> Aja Xena LH with HD-HDI and RS422 deck control. The Xena controls the M10U deck just fine with the RS422 through the HD-Connect-LE.

Return to posts index

jamski
on Oct 24, 2007 at 5:50:45 pm

We've done extensive troubleshooting with this problem.

It appears that the only time we get crashes (and yes, they are hard BSOD crashes), is when we attempt to capture HD footage shot with our VeriCam via the SD-SDI port and RS-232 control. It also happens if we capture via the SD-SDI port and for IEEE1394 deck control.

If we attempt to capture standard DVCPRO25 or even DVCAM on the same set-up, it's fine.

Does this help at all with resolving our issue? Is it some compatibility problem with VeriCam's output?

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Oct 24, 2007 at 6:00:01 pm

So the AJ-1400EX Manual I found on Panasonic's website says the deck has RS-422. That is what the XENA will support is RS-422, not RS-232. That is important. I believe the remote port on that deck might be switchable between RS-422 and RS-232. If that is the case, be sure to set the deck to RS-422. If the port is NOT switchable, and is RS-232 only, then you'll need a converter.....

http://www.rs232-converters.com/

Controlling the deck by firewire for SDI capture is completely unsupported.

Return to posts index

jamski
on Oct 24, 2007 at 6:17:18 pm

[AJA Xena Support] "So the AJ-1400EX Manual I found on Panasonic's website says the deck has RS-422. That is what the XENA will support is RS-422, not RS-232."

Sorry for the confusion on that aspect. I come from a computer background, so I'm probably interchanging 232 and 222.

And, I don't know if this matters, but the deck we have is an AJ-HD1400, not a 1400EX.

Return to posts index

david braman
on Oct 24, 2007 at 6:02:31 pm

I'm the other user in Jamski's shop. The crash seems to happen when doing batch captures, roughly 40% of time. It crashes the entire system, not just Premiere. Some times it a blue screen, other times it just restarts the computer. If it crashes it ALWAYS does so when it starts to pre-roll for the first shot. If it gets past the first capture, it's fine.

I am controlling the 1400 through the RS 422 and capturing via SDI. The Premiere settings are 720x486 29.97i; single link SDI video input; 8-Bit YUV 4-2-2 2vuy video format.

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Oct 24, 2007 at 6:34:53 pm

Ok,

Need a little more info....

1) What type of computer/motherboard
2) What slot on the motherboard is the XENA in?
3) Have you tried more than one slot?
4) Is the firewire still connected when youre using the RS422 control? If so, disconnect it.
5) Do you have any reference connected? Anything else connected to the XENA besides the SDI input and the RS422?
6) Do you have EVERY possible Windows XP update?
7) I am assuming you're using Premiere Pro CS3. Do you have every avaialable update from Adobe?
8) I presume you are using the AJA 3.0.1 plugins/drivers, is this correct?

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

david braman
on Oct 24, 2007 at 7:18:10 pm

Hold the phone.

Because of all the crashes, the C drive died and I just finished replacing it and rebuilding the system, ground up. And, knock on cyber-wood, it seems to be behaving itself just fine. I did a dozen batch captures with no hick-ups. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Just for the record we were and still are using CE2 with Aja 2.6 drivers.

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Oct 24, 2007 at 8:54:41 pm

OK David,

Please repost in a day or two to let us know how things go.

Thanks

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

david braman
on Oct 25, 2007 at 12:37:08 pm

Will do. Hopefully there will be nothing to report.

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Oct 24, 2007 at 7:08:45 pm

And a few more questions/possible solutions to add to the ones above:

1. What are your device control settings:
Capture, handles, etc in PPro
2. Is this an EDL or hand logged batch capture?
3. Is it repeatable (i.e. will it always happen with a certain batch list)
4. Is the first clip you caputre at beginning of the tape?
5. Does this happen when doing a single log and capture with the same in/out times and tape?
6. Can you capture video/audio(with same Capture setup) via a crash capture over the same in/out times in which he sees a crash with batch?
7. Try turning off Embedded SDI VITC and enabling Embedded SDI LTC on the deck (it is a menu setting setup in the deck) and then try a batch capture using embedded SDI (must be setup as both TC Input in Xena Capture Settings menu and via a check box in the Xena device control settings menu)
- Embedded SDI LTC should work (but not embedded VITC)
8. Also, is the timecode on all your tapes completely continuous? Did you stripe them before you used them?

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]