videoworx
CS 3 hell!
on Aug 6, 2007 at 9:46:32 pm

wow...

step 1.) un-install CS2 and AJA software
step 2.) install CS3
step 3.) install AJA 3.0 software
step 4.) be amazed at how easy the upgrade...was
step 5.) load Premiere CS2 project file, and watch how...
step 6.) ...nothing works
step 7.) Learn to hate hate CS3

5 hours later, and I finally got somewhere. The CS2 project file (12 timelines, 15 video tracks each), simply wouldn't STAY open in CS3 (it never crashed in CS2).
After making 12 separate project files (one for each timeline) from CS2 (man, re-installing CS2 on top of CS3 is not my idea of a good time), I got most of it to work...

Premiere CS3 and AJA 3.0 is very unstable, and does funky things with my timelines...I, er, can't wait to start capturing in CS3...

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
Re: CS 3 hell!
on Aug 7, 2007 at 1:51:43 pm

I tried opening and importing three different 2.0 projects in CS3 and each one had different problems.

Return to posts index

jamski
on Aug 8, 2007 at 11:09:53 am

Not that this helps with your current issues, but how is CS3 with new projects?

--
James Orlowski
RYNO Production, Inc.
http://www.rynoproduction.com
800-860-7966

Return to posts index

videoworx
on Aug 8, 2007 at 12:41:13 pm

I got a phone call from an AJA engineer yesterday (5 minutes after I sent them an email - awesome) explaining how to potentially fix the problem. I won't be back on the system until Monday, but the solution makes sense (instead of opening CS2 projects in CS3, I should import them into an already working CS3 project).

I haven't started any real projects from scratch in CS3, but I did import some AJA quicktime files, just to compare things. Performance is about the same (CS2 used 11-15 percent of my CPUs, and CS3 is no different - so 5 of my 8 cores sit unused while Premiere renders), amd playback is fine. I haven't captured anything yet. To be honest, other than the new bin feature, I wouldn't have been able to tell that I was in CS3. Except for the CS2 migration issues, that is.

I didn't notice this in the 2.6 drivers, but that 6dB audio gain switch came in very handy for outputting audio to a BetaSP deck.

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Aug 13, 2007 at 3:16:32 pm

Videoworx,

In reply to your comment "I didn't notice this in the 2.6 drivers, but that 6dB audio gain switch came in very handy for outputting audio to a BetaSP deck. "

This setting was moved to the ASIO driver settings panel in 3.0 drivers . It used to be in the PPro2 Playback settings. For Machina/AE Capture/playback (which does not use ASIO) - the setting is still the same place - the setup panel.

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Aug 8, 2007 at 2:02:55 pm

I'm having nasty problems with using WAV and WMA files that are songs ripped from CDs, but AJA is working on it and I'd expect a fix in the next version.

I couldn't get any 2.0 projects to open or import properly into CS3, but other non-AJA users have reported the same problems so I suspect it is an Adobe issue.

Other than that, everything seems to be fine. I'm working on an uncompressed SD project now and I am starting an HDV project soon.

Like mentioned here, if it weren't for the fact that everytime I double click on a bin, it opens a new window instead of drilling into the bin like the last version (annoying as heck, should have made ctl-click the open new window), and the great new time remapping (I use it in every sequence), I'd never know I was in a new version.

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Aug 13, 2007 at 2:22:16 am

The bin behavior is user definable in the Preferences on the first (General) tab. You get to decide. Just swap Doubleclick and Ctrl+Doubleclick.

Steven

http://www.stevengotz.com

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Aug 15, 2007 at 2:07:12 pm

Thanks for the info Steven!

That double-click annoyed the heck out of me :)

Return to posts index

videoworx
Update
on Aug 13, 2007 at 1:08:52 pm

Alright, the suggested solution - importing CS2 projects into a clean CS3 AJA project does not work. CS3 crashes the instant I touch any content in the timeline.

However, this does work (knock on wood):
- Open CS2 project in CS3.
- Highlight sequence tab (don't click anywhere in the timeline)
- Select All
- Copy
- Close Project
- Open clean CS3 project (with correct AJA preset). Create new sequence.
- Paste

The only issue is that I lose all transitions. Not too painful, considering I haven't crashed once since I tried this (6 timelines and counting).

Is there anything else I lose by copying/pasting? Effects, motion data, and audio levels all seem intact.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: Update
on Aug 14, 2007 at 3:51:42 am

I don't think you would lose anything other than what you've already mentioned...other than a lot of time.

I've not had a chance to open a LOT of CS2 projects...but I'll have to go back tomorrow and see if i experience an issue...I don't recall any. However, I've not brought in any AJA projects...

TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]