FORUMS: list search recent posts

Previews playing BLACK

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jamski
Previews playing BLACK
on Jul 12, 2007 at 2:47:06 pm

One of our Xena LS workstations is having problems playing back PREVIEWS (i.e., renders) in Premiere Pro 2.0.

When it his a preview, it plays, but there's no video.

I can't seem to pinpoint it down, and it appears to be random.

Also, sometimes when trying to render (hit ENTER), we get a Disk Write error window that says we don't have access privileges to our previews folder. The previews folder is a local drive that we have full rights to write to.

Any thoughts? Is this related to the "Quicktimes not working" thread below?

Return to posts index

jamski
Re: Previews playing BLACK
on Jul 12, 2007 at 3:14:15 pm

(I really wish you can edit your posts here...)

Here's some more information on my problem:

1. Latest AJA drivers installed.

2. Quicktime 7.2 installed (this also happened with v7.1.5 installed)

3. It *seems* only the clips that play BLACK are those that have more than ONE video effect applied to it. Like, Levels and ProAmp, or Color Balance and Levels, etc. Levels alone, or ProcAmp alone will let the clips render and play just fine.

4. *But*, at least ONE clip on my timeline has 2 effects on it (Levels and Color Balance), and it PLAYS. Go figure.

Wait, this just in, they guy who's editor that is just told me that some clips still won't render regardless of the number of effects applied to it (i.e., none, one, two, etc.).

And even at least one clip with NO effect simply won't play; it's just black, but the associated audio with it does play.

So, all my theories are blown out of the water.

Here's something else to ponder: two of our four AJA Xena workstations mysteriously had their keyboard shortcuts reset to the defaults. It appears to have happened overnight. Was there an Adobe update that is causing all this woe?

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Jul 12, 2007 at 6:59:18 pm

"Also, sometimes when trying to render (hit ENTER), we get a Disk Write error window that says we don't have access privileges to our previews folder. The previews folder is a local drive that we have full rights to write to."

This would make me very suspicious about the problem lying with the Xena drivers or software. Maybe the flaky previews are just a symptom of a problem external to Premiere Pro and the Xena?

Does the rendering work without the Xena card? Or at least maybe a project that doesn't use a Xena preset? Have you tried one of the Adobe SDI presets that support the Xena card for output?

Return to posts index

jamski
on Jul 12, 2007 at 7:09:43 pm

It now *appears* that the black previews in question are all AVI files that were captured via firewire into a standard DV project, not an AJA DV project.

I cannot confirm this, as I wasn't the one who captured the clips.

Is there a difference in AJA AVIs and standard DV AVIs?

Another point: I imported the problematic project into a standard DV project in Premiere (the video doesn't play on our external monitor in this type of project), and all seems to render fine. It's only when the project is displaying the video externally on a TV monitor that this problem arises.

Make sense?

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Jul 13, 2007 at 1:58:14 pm

"Is there a difference in AJA AVIs and standard DV AVIs?"

I thought you could only capture through the Aja into an uncompressed format and when you capture through firewire you capture into a compressed format. I was wondering if you saw a difference between an uncompressed Aja capture + Aja preset and a compressed firewire capture + Adobe preset.

"It now *appears* that the black previews in question are all AVI files that were captured via firewire into a standard DV project, not an AJA DV project."

"It's only when the project is displaying the video externally on a TV monitor that this problem arises."

I didn't know you could preview through the Aja with a standard DV project, so these statements conflict in my knowledge domain. Are you saying you only have these problems when you send ANY type of video from ANY preset (Aja or Adobe) through the Xena to an external monitor?

Is it possible you are experiencing some sort of PCI bus conflict with the Xena card? Are the machines that work, the same hardware as the machine that doesn't?

Another shot in the dark, did you delete your Premiere Pro presets? I thought I read something in the last release of drivers (before the 3.0 that were just announced), that if you were upgrading from a previous version you should/would reset the Premiere Pro presets.

Return to posts index

jamski
on Jul 13, 2007 at 6:09:12 pm

This problem isn't occurring on my workstation, so it's a little difficult for me to express the issues.

The project in question is one that has mostly all DV (720x480) clips (captured via Firewire), and a few 720x486 MOV files that were rendered in AE as AJA Quicktimes. It's an AJA DV project, so we are able to view and edit with an external monitor. It's in this project where some clips (with video effects applied to them) are playing back black on both the TV monitor, and on the "program" monitor window in Premiere. When you pause the playhead on one of these "black" clips, the video appears. But once you start playing, it goes black again.

The audio plays back normally in that situation.

BUT, if we create a standard DV project and IMPORT that previous project in, we re-render all the clips, and they play just fine.

Of course, in this project, we can't see the video in on the TV, and we can't output to a BetaCam SP tape.

I'm

Return to posts index

jamski
on Jul 31, 2007 at 7:12:35 pm

FWIW, we're still having intermittent "black" issues with one of our CS2, LS, BOXX Workstations. What's puzzling is that it truly appears to be completely random.

To refresh, sometimes, renders play BLACK from the timeline on our external SDI monitor. Audio is not affected. It also appears to happen on all sorts of types of clips.

Initially, I thought it was a 480 vs 486 issue, or a DV vs MOV issue, but it truly seems to happen randomly. In fact, projects that were fine a few days ago could have issues when items are modified and re-rendered.

We updates the drivers on that LS workstation to 3.0, and we'll see how things go.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Perhaps this is a hardware issue with the card?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]