FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Xena user questions

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hkingy
New Xena user questions
on Jun 26, 2007 at 6:36:19 pm

We've been using a Decklink Extreme card on one of our PCs and just built a new PC with the Xena card. There are a few things on the Xena set up I can't quite figure out. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

1. Premiere Pro 2, there are no presets for a 720x486 1.2 pixel aspect project, only 0.9. Can I create an NTSC D1 720x486 1.2 pixel project with the Xena presets? The only option in the dropdown menu is 0.9.

2. After Effects doesn't output audio through the Xena card, only through the speaker on my PC. Is there a hardware setting that I may have missed?

3. System sounds are only output through the PC speakers and not the Xena output. I didn't see a setting in the XP "Sounds" Control Panel for the Xena output. Seems like we'd have to run 2 sets of speakers to be able to hear all the sounds produced by this system.

Our system:
HP xw4400 Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
4GB RAM
AJA drivers 2.5.1
Xena LH
Adobe Production Studio Premium Tryout for testing(Awaiting the CS3 version)
Capturing footage through SDI input from anamorphic Beta SX
Windows XP Pro

We've only had this system for 3 days so there may be some menu or button somewhere in the set ups I haven't seen or missed. Other than the issues mentioned above, this system does what I need to do. The issue with Premiere project settings is the main problem. Thanks!

Harlan

Return to posts index

AlexHuber69
Re: New Xena user questions
on Jun 26, 2007 at 10:18:35 pm

Yes, sound is one of the challenges that I have found with Xena (one of many challenges, I might add).

I'm not 100% sure but I do not think the Xena board will output computer sounds, After Effects sound, or sound from audio production software such as SOundForge or Audition. At least I have not been able to get it to do so. If anyone HAS, would love to hear about it (and how it was done).

I dont exactly have two sets of speakers, but I do have two different channels on my Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer (L and R for Xena, L and R for computer). So yes I suppose if you were not using any kind of mixer at all then yeah you'd need two sets of speakers.

Return to posts index

David Mack
on Jun 27, 2007 at 8:02:39 am

It doesn't work with Audition?!?!! My current system (Blackmagic), that I'm moving away from (to Xena) does that - that would be a real shame! Is this really true?!?

With CS3 coming out and Soundbooth being part of production bundle - I wonder whether this will be 'fixed'- at least for soundbooth in CS3?

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
on Jun 27, 2007 at 2:27:51 pm

[David Mack] "It doesn't work with Audition?!?!!"

Like Alex I've never been able to get it to work with Audition either (even with Xena ASIO properly selected).

When I inquired of tech support at the company that built my system I was told something like, "Hmmm, I think it should do that. Probably. Hmmm, I dunno. Maybe not." Very helpful, guys.

It's a pain in the butt and I wish it were corrected (and will accept any sugguestions on how do to do), but frankly that is so far down on my list of "Xena Issues" and hoops that I have to jump through that I haven't worried too much about it.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

hkingy
on Jun 28, 2007 at 5:19:01 am

Interesting, I got Audition to work through the AJA card by selecting the Xena ASIO setting. I'm not at work right now but I'm pretty sure we got that part working properly. And this is with the Tryout version of the software.

I'll check and let you guys know for sure tomorrow.

The audio mixer solution is a good workaround if we keep the AJA card. Just need to know if there is an AJA preset in Premiere Pro 2.0 for 720x486 1.2 pixel aspect ratio NTSC project.

We just installed the 2.6 drivers today.

Harlan

Return to posts index

David Mack
on Jun 28, 2007 at 7:10:22 am

Hi Harlan,

Yeah - do let us know, I'd like ot hear that it works and it would seem so do others.... I actualy sent AJA tech support this exact question but haven't heard back yet.

Return to posts index

hkingy
on Jun 28, 2007 at 3:35:39 pm

David, I've confirmed that the sound from Audition on our system does go through the Xena card. In the EDIT menu, select AUDIO HARDWARE SETUP and choose Xena ASIO for the Audio Driver in the Multi-Track tab and the Edit View tab at the top of the window when selecting the driver.

There's another tab called Surround Encoder that also has it's own driver output settings. Since I'm not doing any surround mixes, I've left that driver setting on Audition Windows Sound. This should get you up and running.

By the way, I'm using Adobe Audition 2.0 if that makes any difference.

Harlan

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
on Jun 28, 2007 at 4:55:55 pm

Yeah, that's exactly what we tried some months ago, with no luck. I just now tried it again, same results.

Actually when I try to select Xena ASIO in Adobe Audition 2.0 I get this warning box:

...I'm recalling now that it was at this point the support guy at Promax (who built our Aja-based Boxx system) gave me the "Hmmm, I guess that won't work" response. Very helpful.

Am wide open to any ideas here...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Dan Hatch
on Jul 12, 2007 at 7:38:01 pm

Todd,

Please call me regarding your statements about our support team. I would like to know whom you spoke to. We have one of the best support teams in the country and this doesn't seem right. We always go above and beyond to help our customers and will continue to do so.

Again please call to address your system issues.

Regards,

Dan Hatch
President/CEO
ProMax Systems, Inc.
The Leader in Digital Video Pre-Configured Systems Since 1994
16 Technology Drive #106 http://www.promax.com
Irvine, CA. 92618
800-977-6629 x110 949-727-3977 949-727-3450(fax)
dan@promax.com

Return to posts index

David Mack
on Jun 29, 2007 at 6:46:17 am

Harlan,

Thanks for that - appreciated!

Looking forward to getting the Xena system and FINALLY getting image sequences to (hopefully) play straight off the timeline..... Just hope that HDP converter is good and then I'm good to go!

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Jun 28, 2007 at 11:48:37 pm

Hi Harlan,

Regarding your question number 1: Are you capturing from either a 486 wide deck or planning to deliver a 486 wide deliverable? If so, can you explain your workflow so I can make a recommendation for you? Mainly, what are the devices you'll capture from and output to?

Question 2: AE 7 wont use the ASIO driver which the XENA card uses. However, you may be pleased with the release of AE CS3. Note: This is not a function of the XENA card, but of After Effects

Question 3: The XENA card cannot be set as the default windows audio device. It uses a different kind of Audio driver that is better suited for the post applications which we plug into.

Regarding Adobe Audition and the impending Release of 'Soundbooth': The XENA ASIO driver already works in Audition. Simply select the XENA ASIO in the Audio hardware setup to use the XENA as your output device instead of your sound card. Its worth noting that the XENA LH will output 2 channels of audio over the AES or analog outputs, but will output more channels over SDI. The XENA 2K however will output 8 channels over AES. This being the case, the soundcard might be a better monitoring device if you are doing a 5.1 mix.

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

hkingy
on Jun 29, 2007 at 9:38:49 pm

We capture 16:9 anamorphic Beta SX SD footage through SDI which is NTSC D1 720x486 1.2 pixel aspect ratio and output to the same.

So in our Decklink system, when you start a new project in Premiere, there is an NTSC D1 720x486 1.2 aspect codec(and a few others).

On our AJA system when you start a new project under the codecs, I'll go to:

AJA Xena SDI--->
Xena LH-LHe--->
SD--->
720x486i @ 29.97fps

Then clicking into the CUSTOM SETTINGS tab, the only option for pixel aspect ratio is 0.9 which is 4:3. This is our main problem. We need 1.2 pixel aspect ratio which I can do in our Decklink system. An interesting note though, After Effects 7 on the AJA system can output a 720x486 1.2 aspect comp perfectly but I don't want to be doing all my video editing in After Effects.

Is 4:3 the only option for 720x486 footage in Premiere or should I be using another one of the presets to work with my widescreen footage? Any insight would be great!

Also thanks for your answers to my #2 and #3 questions.

Harlan

Return to posts index

hkingy
on Jul 24, 2007 at 5:34:21 am

Our engineer called AJA support a couple of weeks ago and they said there will be a D1 720x486 widescreen preset in the new driver update for Adobe Premiere CS3. Last Friday, we received our CS3 Production Premium and installed the new AJA 3.0 drivers. Guess what, no widescreen preset for Premiere.

Why can you create 720x486 widescreen canvas sizes in After Effects, Photoshop, Sony Vegas, etc but not with the AJA preset in Premiere? Doesn't make sense. We can do it on our Decklink PC.

Our engineer called AJA support again and they said they'd have something for us in a week that'll give us widescreen in that resolution. So at the end of this week, if the problem is not resolved, the AJA card is going to be replaced with a Blackmagic Decklink. We simply cannot keep a card that doesn't do what we need it to do.

On a positive note, after the install of CS3 and 3.0 drivers, everything is working the way AJA intended (other than what is stated above).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]