FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions on a DV deck

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jamski
Suggestions on a DV deck
on Mar 15, 2007 at 1:34:10 pm

Our company produces and sells pre-produced commercials for the cable industry and auto dealerships.

In the past, we prepare the spots and output a master on a BetaCam SP tape via component cables.

This works well with our current Xena LS/LH workstations.

However, lately, we've been getting request for the masters to be sent on MiniDV tapes (it's a crazy world). As a production company, we really don't have any means to output to this media.

I assume this is new trend for MiniDV (and sometimes DVCAM) masters is a result of more and more companies using DV workstations.

So, I think we must adapt. It seems we'd be "adapting backwards," but if we keep getting more request like this, I think we'd have to.

I'd like to get some suggestions on what DV deck would work in our situation. Luckily, DV decks don't appear to be very expensive (as compared to our compliment of Sony PVW-2800s).

I was looking at this one from B&H:

http://tinyurl.com/39o2ku

Would one like this work in our case?

Of course, I assume I'd have to prep all DV jobs to be 720x480, despite the fact that all of our spots are edited in D1 resolution.

Can we output via Firewire to a DV deck? I've acquired DV material many times on our Xena LS/LH workstations from our Sony DSR-450 cameras just fine, but those cameras can't record via Firewire; they can only output.

Any other considerations I should be aware of before I write-up a proposal for a new deck?

Thanks.

--
James Orlowski
RYNO Production, Inc.
http://www.rynoproduction.com
800-860-7966

Return to posts index

Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
Re: Suggestions on a DV deck
on Mar 15, 2007 at 5:14:57 pm

I'm personally more in favor of the Sony decks, that's what we use here.

When I know I'm going to have to output to DVcam or MiniDV, I usually edit the project (via PremPro2 and XenaLHe) with all my "regular" settings as if I would be outputting to BetaSP via component. Then if I have to make a DV dub, I start a new (DV) project and import the other project's timeline.

It may be wise to start planning for this. We almost exclusively produce broadcast commercials, send them out everywhere, almost always on BetaSP. However we are getting more and more requests for DV formats "if we can" (we usually just send them a Beta anyway). However one CBS station here in our home city recently sent us a memo that they will no longer be accepting Beta tapes, commercials can ONLY be submitted via MiniDV. Which we are doing, and by the way the look like crap on the air (the Betas looked great).

Yes, most but not ALL the DV decks I've seen had firewire in. That being said, once we had to borrow a DVCpro deck (all of our DV work is DVcam-based, so we didn't have a deck that would play a client's tape) and susprisingly that deck did NOT have firewire... so it's smart to double check and make sure the model you are looking at does.

It would be somewhat more expensive, but It might also be smart (since things seem to be moving toward DV) to get a multi-format deck. A buddy of mine at another facility has one (don't know the model, I think it might be a JVC) that can handle most all formats and tape sizes, MiniDV, mini DVcam, full-size DVcam, small DVCpro, and full-size DVCpro. Might be a good way to hedge your bets in the format wars.

T2

Return to posts index

jamski
on Mar 15, 2007 at 7:39:14 pm

Thanks for your input! That's a shocker that a local TV station in your area will only accept MiniDV, but I suppose DV is the wave of the future...

We have a multi-format Panasonic AJ-HD1400 deck, but that deck's on our high-end system and I really don't want to use it for menial tasks like dubbing spots for end-use. That's why I'd like to get a basic DV deck for such jobs.

The JVC BR-DV3000U does appear to have a Firewire port for inputting and outputting, according to the specifications page.

No components, but all we really need it for is DV Firewire.

--
James Orlowski
RYNO Production, Inc.
800-860-7966

Return to posts index

jamski
on Mar 15, 2007 at 7:40:06 pm

Thanks for your input! That's a shocker that a local TV station in your area will only accept MiniDV, but I suppose DV is the wave of the future...

We have a multi-format Panasonic AJ-HD1400 deck, but that deck's on our high-end system and I really don't want to use it for menial tasks like dubbing spots for end-use. That's why I'd like to get a basic DV deck for such jobs.

The JVC BR-DV3000U does appear to have a Firewire port for inputting and outputting, according to the specifications page.

No components, but all we really need it for is DV Firewire.

--
James Orlowski
RYNO Production, Inc.
800-860-7966

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Mar 16, 2007 at 1:44:52 pm

I'd look for the multi-format deck. I think it's a JVC, and can handle large and small DV25, DVcam, and DVCpro25. I have a Sony DSR-11 that will do I/O with DV25 and DVCam (a major client shoots DVCam), but not Panasonic's large tapes. Of course, it was about 1/10 the price of my BetaSP deck. For a little bit more than DV25 only, you could cover I/O for almost all DV formats...
And, yes, make sure you get FW connectors!

-jeff

Return to posts index

jamski
on Mar 16, 2007 at 6:48:07 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I went with the Panasonic AG-DV2500. It's a simple DV/DVCAM deck that'll suit our needs for this situation.

I didn't go with a more multi-format deck because we do have the Panasonic AJ-HD1400 deck on one of our suites, should a format request come our way that the DV2500 can't handle.

I did some DV tests from my Xena workstation and discovered the only way I can output via Fireware from Premiere Pro is to start the job with one of Premiere's standard DV presets. I then import my Xena jobs into that DV job. It requires quite a bit of rendering, however, before Exporting to Tape. Is that the proper way to do this, or is there a better way to output directly from a 720x480 Xena job?

Thanks.

--
James Orlowski
RYNO Production, Inc.
800-860-7966

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Mar 16, 2007 at 9:47:18 pm

I probably would have leaned toward a Sony deck with analog component input and simply output from the Xena as you would have to the Beta decks...also it would have made the inevitable Beta>DVcam/DV dub an easier process not having to involve the computer...

I think the analog component input can mitigate, if ever so slightly, some of that compressed digital 'pop' that DV seems to exhibit on images that are really dynamic. These decks are the most expensive however...

There are also D>A>D converters on the market that can take your D1 footage analog component and convert to FW...we have a Convergent Design SD Connect which also has RS422<>FW deck control and SDI conversion which is excellent, and a Canopus ADVC-500 which does analog composite/S/component <> FW and that is also a good machine when you don't need SDI or deck control.

Either way, don't fret. DV won't last long...MPEG submission is on the way... :-)

TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,

Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

Kevin Christopher
on Mar 26, 2007 at 7:09:40 pm

That is why I use a DSR-1500A. Componenet and SDI in and out. Oh yeah and firewire. When I get a job that was shot on DVCAM or mini DV I have a preset that allows me to edit uncompressed, but capture firewire. Saves a lot of space. After I am through comping and cutting I print to tape via SDI.

and it can do Beta SP to DV or DVCAM dubs too.

Kevin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]