FORUMS: list search recent posts

Xena LS, AVI, and Premiere Pro memory issues

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jamski
Xena LS, AVI, and Premiere Pro memory issues
on Mar 14, 2007 at 7:20:01 pm

We had an "extra" Boxx Workstation that we decided to put a Xena LS card into so we'd have a spare editor. All seems to be fine, except I've run into an odd memory issue with Premiere Pro 2.0.

Let's see if I can explain it properly, as this is a complex issue...

It seems that jobs that are primarily made up of AVI clips cause Premiere to run very low on memory. In fact, if I even put any number of AVI clips on a timeline, within a few minutes of playback or scrubbing, I get the dreaded pop-up error, "Adobe Premiere is running very low on system memory. Proceed with caution." Then, Premiere fails to playback anything, then it just abruptly exits. I have to reboot the system for Premiere to even launch again.

I did some further troubleshooting, and discover if I have a project comprised of mostly Quicktime (MOV) files, it behaves nicely. I have a 30-minute show up now, consisting of many clips, titles, and graphics, some over 4 minutes in length themselves, and it works as well as our 3 other "turnkey" Boxx Xena workstations.

So, I have to conclude that for some reason, this particular workstation has 'issues' with AVI files. Odd? The projects are set-up properly with the 480 or 486 output as needed.

Our company acquires both DV footage from our Sony DSR-450 cameras, as well as traditional BetaCam SP stock. It's the Beta clips (acquired via Component as AJA Quicktime clips) that seem to play perfectly. The DV clips acquired via Firewire as AVIs are the ones that are causing issues.

Here are some specs on this Boxx Workstation:

- Intel Xeon CPU (Dual 3.40 GHz)
- 2GB RAM
- XP Pro SP2
- NVidia Quadro FX 3400/4400 Video Card
- SATA array storage
- Machina version 2.0.0.0

Our other turnkey Boxx Xena Workstations are equipped very similarly, with the exception of processor types.

Question: Can I acquire Quicktime via the Firewire? It seems if I choose DV capture, it acquires AVIs without a choice. Acquiring Quicktime via Firewire would probably solve my issue, although without really addressing the underlying problem.

Thoughts?

--
James Orlowski
RYNO Production, Inc.
http://www.rynoproduction.com
800-860-7066

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
Re: Xena LS, AVI, and Premiere Pro memory issues
on Mar 14, 2007 at 7:56:40 pm

James,

It seems you have an older version of our plugins installed. The issue you are seeing is a known issue in that version. To alleviate it, try uninstalling your existing XENA plugins. then download and install the latest version from our website. Post back here to let us know if that fixed your problem.

AJA XENA Support

Return to posts index

jamski
Re: Xena LS, AVI, and Premiere Pro memory issues
on Mar 14, 2007 at 8:30:24 pm

Thanks! I uninstalled the Xena install, and installed v2.5.1 from your website.

So far, it looks like it's better; I was able to play a project that had issues prior.

I'll post if I have more issues.

--
James Orlowski
RYNO Production, Inc.
http://www.rynoproduction.com
800-860-7966

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]