FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere/ Xena LS dragging

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
LowrySam
Premiere/ Xena LS dragging
on Nov 28, 2006 at 6:08:00 pm

FROM ANOTHER GROUP:

This is a problem that I have had for some time. So long that I can't remember where it started. It may be my capture card. It may be Premiere. I'm hoping someone is experiencing something similar.

An example: I have a 10 minute long corporate video containing 8bit, uncompressed, MOV footage captured through SDI on Xena LS.There are interviews with 7 or 8 people. There is a lot of B-roll. There are some still shots. Needless to say, there is a bunch of stuff put together to make a great piece.
My problem is in the startup time for the project. When I choose the project from the splash screen, it may take 1 1/2 to 2 min to load. OK. I can accept that...once. But then if I make any other window active (After Effects, Photoshop, Internet Explorer, Audition, anything) and come back to Premiere, there is another 2 min load time as it rechecks all of the assets in the project (I'm assuming that is what it is doing). This makes something like the "Edit Original" feature in Premiere very frustrating. Can you imagine working with a client in the edit suite, they ask you to change one little thing in a title that was created in AE or Photoshop, or maybe tweak some audio in Audition, then they have to wait 2 minutes for Premiere to get back up when you highlight it? It's embarrassing and honestly not good for future business.

I can't remember if this all started when I upgraded to 2.0 or added the AJA Xena capture card. Is this a problem for anyone else? Is there a way to turn this update feature off? I would like to see something like After Effects where you have to reload the asset manually to update. That would save a tremendous amount of time. If anyone knows a workaround, please tell me. It is affecting my business.

BTW: I do not get this problem when I capture simple DV through 1394.

Thanks,
Shawn Michael

HP xw9300 Workstation
2 dual core AMD Opteron 270 processors
AJA Xena LS capture card
80 GB system drive, 500 GB SATA Media drives RAID 0
Nvidia FX4500 Video
4GB RAM
Adobe Production Studio Premium with all updates

Lowrysam

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
Re: Premiere/ Xena LS dragging
on Nov 28, 2006 at 8:12:09 pm

Lowrysam,

First:
Shut off ALL of your background programs
1. Go to the Start Menu and click on 'Run'
2. Type 'msconfig' and click 'OK'
3. Click the 'Startup' Tab. The list here is the list of programs that start running as soon as your computer is booted. For maximum performance, and to troubleshoot problems, unchecking all these programs is ideal. HOWEVER, you shoud be warned that if you have a firewall or an anit-virus program installed, they are probably on this list. Uncecking them may provide minor performance improvements when edtiting, but it can expose your computer to viruses and/or hackers. We recommend that you turn off all startup programs EXCEPT Anit-Virus software and firewalls.
4. Click 'OK' and restart the computer.
5. When the computer restarts a window titled 'System Configuration Utility' will pop up. Check the box that says 'Don't show this message or launch the system configuration utility when windows starts' and then click 'OK'.
When you're done with this, check to see if the same problem exists. Add that to your reply

Second:
I have a test for you to try. This might help us determine some of the factors in your problem.
1. save a backup copy of your project file to another location, just to be safe.
2. go to C:Program FilesAdobeAdobe Premiere Pro 2.0Plug-insen_USAJA
3. In this directory you'll see a file called 'ImporterXena.prm' Remove it from this directory, but place it somewhere safe as you will replace it later.
4. Launch Premiere and open the project. You'll see that all the video files are marked as non-RT but dont panic, this is expected.
5. Try the same switching from one application to the other. Post your results here, or email them to Xenasupport@aja.com

Third:
For clarification, it seems that you're saying this occurs when switching between Internet Explorer and Premiere Pro. Does this happen when you have only PPro and IE open? Or do you have that whole list of applications(AE, Photoshop, IE, Audition, and Premiere) open at once?

Hope to see your reply,
AJA Xena Support

Return to posts index

LowrySam
on Nov 28, 2006 at 8:30:18 pm

Haven't tried first and second yet. On the third:

IE was just an example. It occurs when I remove focus from Premiere to any other program, then go back to Premiere. It even occurs if I close the other program (so that only Premiere is now running) and go back to Premiere. In a real world situation, it occurs when editing assets in Photoshop from Premiere or editing audio from Premiere in Adobe Audition.

Shawn Michael

Lowrysam

Return to posts index

LowrySam
on Nov 28, 2006 at 9:22:11 pm

Some specs: Project size is 64.8GB according to the Premiere Project Manager.

First test: Disabled everything, including virus software. After defocus/restore focus (minimize/restore) on Premiere, took 90 seconds to reload. In conclusion, no change.

Second test: Now THIS made a difference. Followed your instructions, then minimized/restored Premiere, and NO reload! I could playback immediately. Granted, it was not RT playback, so frames dropped and stuttering occured.
Just to make sure, I put the plug-in back in the folder...the problem was back.

Third: To further clarify...the problem also occurs if I simply minimize then restore Premiere.

Thanks for working through this with me.

Shawn Michael

Lowrysam

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Nov 28, 2006 at 11:53:29 pm

Great.

This is good information. I dont have a solution for you right away but if you could send the project file to xenasupport@aja.com that would help us further. We dont need the media, ONLY the project file.

AJA Xena Support

Return to posts index

LowrySam
on Nov 29, 2006 at 4:54:31 pm

It's 26MB in size. Can't send it through traditional email. Any suggestions?

Lowrysam

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Nov 29, 2006 at 10:23:00 pm

Lowrysam,

If you have an FTP or web location where you can put it, you can send the link to xenasupport.

Also, I presume that if you zip it, it will shrink some.

Thanks,

AJA Xena Support

Return to posts index

Dirk Meier
on Dec 9, 2006 at 6:31:28 pm

Hi,

is there meanwhile a general solution to this problem ?
I'm suffering from the same issue, but in my case, not even removing the importer file from the plug-ins folder made any difference.

dirk

Return to posts index

Jack Kuiper
on Jan 30, 2007 at 10:32:56 am

I bought a xena card last week and I'm suffering from the same issues.
Notified my Aja dealer but the haven't offered a solution yet...

Is there news about this issue? Users or Aja?

Greets,

Jack

Return to posts index

Dirk Meier
on Jan 30, 2007 at 6:17:40 pm

Hi Jack,
I haven't heard of any solution, but I also didn't have a chance yet to test the new version 2.5. Have you ?

best,
dirk

PS: My guess is Support doesn't follow the old threads, so maybe we have to start a new one...

Return to posts index

Jack Kuiper
on Jan 30, 2007 at 7:02:50 pm

I only tried the 2.5 version. Clean windows install + first time aja user.
Yep maybe we need a new thread... Yours or mine ??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]