FORUMS: list search recent posts

Betacam Sp to Aja Io4k ?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Solo
Betacam Sp to Aja Io4k ?
on Jun 24, 2015 at 9:18:45 pm

Hey guys been checking out this forum for years and have gotten some great answers. However this is the first time I've actually posted and had to sign up. So hopefully someone has some insight for me. I was asked to break out some old footage at work and get the Betacam Sp hooked up. I used to work in a post house years ago so I figured it'd just be a matter of connecting a few cables.

What I have setup is the Betacam SP (SDI Out) to an Aja Io 4k (SDI) which is then connected to a Mac Pro. I pulled up both Premiere and FCP 7 and explored the capture settings of each. I noticed a green static screen on both but I'm not sure if that's because I'm using the wrong settings or just a default when nothing is hooked up. The tape I grabbed to test it out doesn't have any info as to what the frame rate is so I just guessed and went down a few settings to see if anything popped up on screen. So far nothing has worked, no audio or video. The deck is playing the tape back and hasn't beeped so I can only assume the reference is correct. Is it even possible for these two devices to interact or am I missing a piece? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Betacam Sp to Aja Io4k ?
on Jul 22, 2015 at 12:49:28 am

Which deck? BetacamSP doesn't have SDI out...it has composite and component, and all use the same connector type as SDI, but it's not SDI. Digibeta has SDI out, and players like the JH-3 do...but plain old BetaSP decks...component or composite only. The single cable will be composite...and composite and SDI aren't compatible.

For this operation you'll need a component to SDI adapter. AJA and Blackmagic design make these.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ben Solo
Re: Betacam Sp to Aja Io4k ?
on Jul 22, 2015 at 1:23:30 pm

That explains it. I didn't think about the fact that it wasn't an SDI I just assumed it was. I ended up connecting it to a DVI converter using the S-Video and running the DVI converter through firewire to the mac. Thanks though it's good to know!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]