FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA IO4K HDMI In SDI OUT

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Lonigro
AJA IO4K HDMI In SDI OUT
on Feb 21, 2015 at 2:29:33 pm

I am trying to use the IO4K to take an HDMI input from an on camera EVF(Zacuto) feed into the IO4K and get SDI out to an external monitor. Is this possible? I can't seem to get any output.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: AJA IO4K HDMI In SDI OUT
on Feb 21, 2015 at 5:02:52 pm

The unit does need to be in the capture mode to pass a signal through it, It does not act like a standalone converter.

You also need to make sure the SDI monitor can handle the frame rate or format (p vs psf)

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Lonigro
on Feb 21, 2015 at 5:24:59 pm

Thanks Gary,
When you say "capture mode" how precisely do I engage that? Do you mean using one of the AJA utilities like AJA Control Room or AJA TV? My monitor should be able to handle the frame rate as its a Flanders BM210

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 22, 2015 at 3:07:20 am

[Jeffrey Lonigro] "o you mean using one of the AJA utilities like AJA Control Room or AJA TV"

Correct. It's a dumb device. it needs a controller. Control Room should just have to be active on the connected computer- to establish the connection.

( would think that it would only take minimal resources from the host computer, you should still be able to handle the data workflow on the same machine.- frankly I have not tried it with the current software but it is how most Aja devices work.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Lonigro
on Feb 22, 2015 at 5:45:40 am

Hmmm, tried that didn't seem to feed through.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 22, 2015 at 5:35:09 pm

[Jeffrey Lonigro] "Hmmm, tried that didn't seem to feed through."

The device needs to be setup properly to accept the incoming signal. if the signal is not being accepted for incoming it is not going to output.

This is not a converter, this is a cheat and it requires that you be diligent in your initial setup, just as if you were going to be capturing footage into the IoHD.

it would help if you would be more specific about your setup and workflow, since the easiest solution to this problem would be to use a converter specific to the task.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Lonigro
on Feb 22, 2015 at 5:59:12 pm

Thanks Gary,
I'm totally recognizing that this is not a converter. I'm trying to avoid purchasing a Blackmagic Design Mini Converter HDMI to SDI 4K or AJA HA5 since I own the IO4K. I have a shoot coming up with a Canon 7D. What I'm trying to do is take the output from my Zacuto EVF which has HDMI out and connect it to my Flanders BM210 which only has SDI. I have the IO4K connected to my MacBook Pro with the HDMi out of the EVF to the HDMI put of the IO4K. Then I have the IO4K SDI monitor out to the Flanders. I launched AJA Control room and this AM briefly I had an image but then I went to the menu setting of the 7D and it all went away. Perhaps I just need to get a proper HDMI to SDI box. I can't be fiddling with a finicky setup unless there is a correct way to do this.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 22, 2015 at 9:18:05 pm

Yes
A proper converter
(FYI have you tried using a DVI to HDMI adapter on the back of the monitor?)

The frame rate and format of the video are as important as the gear when patching signals through devices.

Are you shooting PsF or P?

What is the EVF set too?

If you are shooing /outputting at 60p from the camera that is not going to work over a single SDI cable.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]