FORUMS: list search recent posts

Io HD Ref In Flickers

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Fagan
Io HD Ref In Flickers
on Jan 18, 2014 at 4:45:33 pm

Inputs:
VHS NTSC -> IoHD Y/C (have also tried Composite)
Blackmagic Designs Sync Generator Reference Black (Set to NTSC) -> IoHD Ref In

In the IoHD Control Panel, The Ref In portion of the block diagram flickers, apparently unsure of WHAT is coming in.

The generator and the cables are new.

I haven't looped the incoming ref onwards to some other destination since the IoHD manual states that it's not required.

As the VHS video source is unstable (hence the ref) I thought perhaps that I had something misconfigured and the IoHD was inadvertently listening to the deck's video for reference.

If this isn't a known issue I'm afraid I'll have to review it with Aja Support.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Io HD Ref In Flickers
on Jan 19, 2014 at 6:44:31 pm

[Peter Fagan] "In the IoHD Control Panel, The Ref In portion of the block diagram flickers, apparently unsure of WHAT is coming in."

Since you have both NTSC and PAL signals into the machine it does not under stand. Disconnect everything but the SD signal set ref to video signal and it should be fine.

This is an issue with the way you are using the unit, not with the unit itself (IMHO)

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Peter Fagan
on Jan 19, 2014 at 8:27:37 pm

I sure hope I'm misled as you suggest, but both feeds are most certainly carrying NTSC signals.

I should have been clearer, however - on the block diagram screenshot, the multiple instances of the Ref portion that are shown don't appear simultaneously - they randomly flicker between each other. So although I'm pushing NTSC black into the IoHD, that's only intermittently being reflected in the Ref portion of the control panel's block diagram.

The time base fluctuates on these 30yo tapes, so feeding the NTSC black burst into Ref is intended to metronome the video into lock-step.

In any case, I tried pulling the sync gen outta Ref and let the IoHD use the poor old video as the sync source. The block diagram in the AJA control panel remains flickeringly unstable :-(

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Jan 21, 2014 at 11:38:12 pm

Since you are working with a VHS source, you may wish to consider the use of a time base corrector (TBC). This tool would help stabilize the signal coming out of the source VHS deck before it is sent to the Io HD.

If you have questions about configuration and workflow, please feel free to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email, Monday through Friday between 9am and 5pm PST. AJA Technical Support is provided free of charge and they will be happy to assist you.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Peter Fagan
on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:44:32 am

I had hoped that I would get some timing help from the IoHD's frame buffer but I suppose VHS is very much no shirt no shoes. This old gear is certainly giving me a workout 32 years down the line:

Time to make a foray to For.A...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]