FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pegasus Promise New Drives J2 & J4

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Case
Pegasus Promise New Drives J2 & J4
on Jun 1, 2013 at 8:43:33 pm

I've been successfully using my IO XT for just about a year now. I edit on the road with a very complete package that suits my and my clients needs. My hard drive storage for the road is a promise pegasus R4 thunderbolt HD array. I get sufficient speeds that never let me down. The reason I'm posting is to ask if anyone has used the newer promise J2 (with only 1-thunderbolt port) or the promise J4 and found them to work successfully with their edit systems? I'd like to retire the raid array, save the road case space, and the weight on airplanes and carrying upstairs. Any experience with the J2 or J4?

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: Pegasus Promise New Drives J2 & J4
on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:00:10 pm

These are relatively new items still and I have not yet seen them in the wild personally. Given Promise's experience with Thunderbolt RAID arrays though, I see no reason to be worried about taking the chance. The technology between the two systems is probably very similar.

Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X, Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Jul 24, 2013 at 5:00:27 am

Hi Tom.
Am in the same situation as you are. I use the R4 in RAID 5 on the road in TV OBs. But it's not exactly portable. I hand carry it on flights, a bit cumbersome. I was looking at the GRaid Thunderbolt for a portable solution. But, it's only RAID 0 (I don't want to RAID1 ever) and no onboard hardware RAID controller. Never thought about the J4 (RAID0,1 or 10). Will look into it now:)
Cheers

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Gunter Hemeleers
on Aug 1, 2013 at 10:33:57 am

The J4 is a lot more portable, downside is it needs a driver so it is almost plug and play but not really.
once the J4 driver is installed it runs really smooth, really fast
and small.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]