FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Io XT or BlackMagic UltraStudio Express?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick Kalber
AJA Io XT or BlackMagic UltraStudio Express?
on Jan 1, 2013 at 2:07:19 am

Upgrading to iMac 27" and Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt... need to capture from HDCAM (usually prores 422... sometimes uncompressed) for edit and lay program back to HDCAM when done. Need I/O interface... trying to decide between AJA Io XT or BlackMagic UltraStudio Express. Cost is a factor, of course... but functionality trumps savings. Seems to me that it's worth the extra $$$ for the AJA Io XT for better functionality, more flexibility, better customer support, and two Thunderbolt ports. Thots? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Mahalo!

Mick Kalber
Tropical Visions Video, Inc.
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AJA Io XT or BlackMagic UltraStudio Express?
on Jan 5, 2013 at 6:10:14 pm

For use in what editing application? I have the IoXT and it's solid in Avid MC 6 and FCP 7. Capturing and outputting in Adobe CS6 is still problematic, and people use FCP 7 to do that part when they use CS6.

I can't comment about the BMD card...I don't have it. But AJA is always rock solid when it comes to functionality.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Jan 12, 2013 at 3:22:02 am

Thanks Shane... I decided my budget would only allow the blackmagic. I figured the aja would be better, but ya can't do what ya can't do. I'm running fcp 6. we'll see how it performs. used aja kona with my powermac g5... was always rock solid. appreciate the feedback.

Mick Kalber
Tropical Visions Video, Inc.
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Feb 5, 2013 at 8:25:09 am

Hi Mick, nice to see you here.
Jim Wiseman

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Christopher S. Johnson
on Mar 4, 2013 at 9:52:19 pm

Hi Shane. Is that still the case here in March? That Io XT and PP 6 are problematic? I'm working on non-Retina 2012 MBPro and still determining my best bet. The dual Thunderbolt makes this the most likely choice, but I might go to PP later in the year for software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]