FORUMS: list search recent posts

Long live the ioHD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carsten Orlt
Long live the ioHD
on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:46:06 am

As I'm sure we can give up on the ioHD being supported by FCPx or any other modern NLE I just wanted people to know what I did.

Get a SDI only or Component only video card from Aja or Blackmagic (sorry:-) and connect it to your ioHD (the control panel still works fine in OSX 10..8.2) and use the ioHD as a converter to all the connections you desire. A little extra expense but way cheaper than buying anything with all the connections and even better than using it as a paper weight :-)

Happy editing
Carsten

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
Re: Long live the ioHD -can you elaborate??
on Nov 21, 2012 at 3:42:13 pm

Hi Carsten -- interesting post -- can you give a little more detail it terms of how you're using it?? -- which editing app? -- and what you're trying to accomplish (ingesting videotape??) -- thanks & Happy Thanksgiving...

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Nov 21, 2012 at 10:52:01 pm

Hi Ken,

I'm using FCPx. We are now switched to tapeless so no need for tape capture as such. If I would need to get a tape in I would use the Aja software.

I bought an Intensity Pro because I also wanted to use Da Vinci. I'm feeding this component into the ioHD and drive a CRT RGB from it. Very specific requirement. I could have gone SDI card as well but I wanted the absolute cheapest possible :-)

But through this I realised that the ioHD works perfectly fine as an converter from everything to everything. So in the end it was the better investment than a Kona which at some point will become obsolete. ioHD doesn't really.

Happy editing

Return to posts index

Kevin Gardam
on Dec 13, 2012 at 11:56:14 am

Don't forget you can use the new T Tap to feed SDI to the IO HD
and theres your monitoring out of fcp x sorted.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Dec 13, 2012 at 1:08:32 pm

Kevin, I've rather lost the place with FCP and Apple technology, but am considering investigating FCPX in the near future. I have IoHD with FCP7 and would like some info on the t-tap you mention here.

With thanks Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Kevin Gardam
on Dec 13, 2012 at 2:01:26 pm

Hi Alan, check out T Tap from Aja.(or somethiing like that)
For nearly a year its been a door stop, as Carsten has pointed out above it has a new lease of life and it's not affected by OS and FCPX updates,like some of the new thunderbolt io devices.
Just use the io HD as standalone up and down converter for professional monitoring, you don't need a fw 800 port, just the SDI out of the T Tap...good news if you're in the market for the new imac.

Return to posts index

Kevin Gardam
on Dec 13, 2012 at 2:13:06 pm

But but but...you'll need a mac with a fw port to set up the initial cross conversion using the aja control panel.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Dec 13, 2012 at 4:44:09 pm

Wow I had no idea this existed, thanks Kevin. I do have a 'long in the tooth' MBP with FW that is still working with the IoHD. So I guess I'll be able to use that for the 'cross conversion'? Is that something I'd just need to do the once?

Do you know what sort of SDI signal comes out of the T-Tap from FCPX? Do you think it's fully legal?

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Kevin Gardam
on Dec 13, 2012 at 4:57:32 pm

I would presume so Alan, havn't got a thunderbolt output to test ...time will tell but I can't see why not.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]