FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Io XT: Does it encode Apple ProRes while capturing?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roland Blaser
AJA Io XT: Does it encode Apple ProRes while capturing?
on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:07:45 pm

Hi colleagues!

Does anybody know whether the new AJA Io XT is able to encode ProRes on the fly while ingesting? Why I'm asking: I'm used to a ProRes workflow. While the iO HD supported ProRes natively and therefore it was possible to capture the already compressed material by the internal HD of a MacBook Pro it looks like iO XT doesn't support ProRes on a hardware base. As I don't think a MacBook Pro could encode ProRes in real time while ingesting: does it mean we have to capture uncompressed to an external Thunderbolt RAID and encode ProRes afterwards?? Wouldn't really impress me, open said. But may be I'm wrong and that's the reason for asking here...

Regards, Roland

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: AJA Io XT: Does it encode Apple ProRes while capturing?
on Jan 29, 2012 at 2:35:39 pm

Roland,
I am one of the lucky few that has access to an IoXT and yes it does encode to all 5 flavors of ProRes as well as Uncompssed, DPX frame, and other codecs like DNXHD when it is used with Media Composer6, as long as you are connected to a storage device that is capable of being able to support your chosen codec and workflow. .

IoXT works as if you have a full blown Kona3G card jammed into your Thunderbolt enabled Mac, much of the issue with previous iterations of the Io product line were the limitations of the FW buss, Thunderbolt connectivity to he computer starts at a minimum of 10Gbps and scales up to 40Gbps (which is well over 1.75Gigabytes of data per second).

Thunderbolt is going to change they way many people work, there is now a buss that allows users nearly direct access to the power as directly from the logic board as we are used to seeing on PCIe enabled desktops.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Roland Blaser
on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:21:59 am

Hello Gary

Thanks for clarifying! Very strange that the hardware encoding (PorRes, Avid codec and more) is not underlined in their product description. After reading through all this stuff I came to the conclusion I would have to capture everything uncompressed and the Mac has to do the encoding for ProRes and other codecs afterwards. If I would be their marketing guy, I would really underline this on-the-fly hardware encoding (while capturing)...

Thanks,
Roland

Science journalist, cameraman, video editor. 30 years of science communication for Swiss National TV. Awarded Prix Media by Swiss Academy of Science. Nominee Descartes Prize for Science Communication European Union.
> Mac Pro 8 core, MacBook Pro. AJA ioHD. FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 5, 2012 at 9:30:34 am

[Roland Blaser] "Very strange that the hardware encoding (PorRes, Avid codec and more) is not underlined in their product description."

The on-board encoding to ProRes is not done in the device. That honor lies only with the AJA IOHD..the main big boy. The encoding is done by the computer you attach the IO XT to.

From the AJA IO HD page: http://www.aja.com/products/io/io-hd.php

"Apple ProRes 422 Codec- SD, HD 720/1080, fullraster 10 bit 4:2:2, supported in hardware"

The IO XT does not offer that same feature: http://www.aja.com/products/io/io-xt.php

IN fact, the ONLY codec the IOHD supports is ProRes. It converts everything to ProRes. It can't do Uncompressed, or DVCPRO HD...or any other codec. The IO XT can.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Jan 30, 2012 at 3:32:13 pm

Thanks for this Gary.

I am looking for a new interface box for my mbp now I am moving my home system from FCP7 to MC6.

Does the deck interface (RS422) on the IOXT work with Decks now?
I need to digitise SD/HD-SDI to prores, from sony decks, or do I still need to use a USB port on my laptop with serial converter ( and Rosetta?)?

Steve

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:05:20 pm

[steve knattress] "Does the deck interface (RS422) on the IOXT work with Decks now?"

yup. why wouldn't it?

straight up 9 pin serial connection.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Jan 30, 2012 at 6:57:31 pm

I had read somewhere that to use AVID MC6 with RS244 decks, on other Aja devices you had to use an external USB to RS44 converter.

I'm glad to hear that I can use the IO XT directly.

Steve

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Jan 30, 2012 at 7:04:31 pm

This is what I read from Bob Zelin, I assume from what you say it has been fixed with MC6 and the IO XT?

Re: Avid 5.5 AJA I/O limitations, Comparisons and FAQ
by Bob Zelin on Feb 19, 2011 at 6:00:21 pm

thanks for posting this. I would have assumed RS422 support, but when I assume, I am always wrong - from your link -

Is the RS-422 connector on AJA Io Express supported?

No. You can use tradition Avid deck control through the CPU.

What is up with AVID wanting to keep tying in with the Keyspan
USA-19x and the secondary 232 to 422 adaptor. Why didn't the Nitris DX box have a native RS422 port ? Why isn't there support of the I/O Express with 422. (I am just bitching).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:31:33 pm

I might be wrong, but according to my source it is fixed with the IoXT.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:55:36 am

I'm off to the broadcast show here in London in 2 weeks I'll check.

might be an Avid thing rather than AJA?

Steve

Return to posts index

Andy Bellamy
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:21:24 am

Hi Steve,

I'm Andy and I'm FSE for AJA in Europe. I'm London based so feel free to reach out with queries direct.

Please drop by and see us at BVE - we'll have IoXTs running on different platforms for you to see. Contact me through COW direct.

Best wishes

Andy Bellamy

FSE EMEA for AJA Video Systems Limited
Phosphor
London
UK

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:14:32 pm

Thanks I'll drop by and see you.

Does the RS422 from the XT deck control from avid MC6 then?

Any idea of show discounts yet? ;-)

Steve

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Feb 16, 2012 at 5:47:52 pm

Just check today.

Its an AVID thing you need an avid keyspan adaptor from the computer usb port to the deck.

The aja box RS422 does not work with Avid MC controlled decks.

Does anyone know the number for a mac with Lion keyspan adaptor for use with a sony deck?

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]