FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Control Room Software not for ioHD?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roland Blaser
AJA Control Room Software not for ioHD?
on Jan 9, 2012 at 6:40:38 pm

Dear all,

in September 2011 (IBC Amsterdam) AJA "introduced" their Control Room software, promised to introduce it in October as a free download for different AJA products:

"...AJA Control Room and AJA Control Panel provide a common, comprehensive control interface for AJA’s KONA 3G, KONA LHi, KONA LHe Plus, Io HD, Io Express and new Io XT solutions."

The software is still under development - all of us prefer a more or less bug-free release instead of a quick release. However, since a few days AJA changed the PR text on their web site:

Now, they say: ">>Coming Soon for KONA, Io XT and Io Express". The ioHD simply disappeared. Does it mean the AJA ioHD won't be part of AJA's software evolution anymore?

As AJA marketing is reading this forum: can somebody give an official statement concerning Control Room and ioHD?

Thanks, Roland

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
Re: AJA Control Room Software not for ioHD?
on Jan 11, 2012 at 8:16:10 am

Well spotted and I hope your concerns are wrong!
Because if you're right it would be a disaster !!!

I would understand if the ioHD wouldn't work with FCPx upcoming video out directly but please make control room work with the ioHD standalone so we can still work with tapes if we need to.

Please, please Aja...

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Jan 11, 2012 at 5:41:54 pm

The inclusion of the Io HD in the press release about the AJA Control Room application was in error; we apologize for this confusion regarding the supported devices.

The AJA Control Room app is designed to work under Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.  The Io HD is not a cross platform i/o device; it only operates under Mac OS X due to its unique FireWire 800 connection/interaction with the host Apple computer.  For capturing from tape and laying back to tape, you may continue to use the already available, and free, AJA VTR  Xchange application.

The AJA VTR Xchange application for use with Io HD can be found at:
http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJA_VTR_Xchangev5.1.1.zip

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Philippe Domengie
on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:12:39 pm

That's too bad ! Aja guys, on this, you suck !!

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jan 11, 2012 at 8:02:48 pm

That's too bad. It's really time to stop buying video in/out devices. It's money out the window.

And unfortunately the VTR Exchange software doesn't work reliable enough to be usable.

Ah well booting into FCP7 for years to come...

Return to posts index

Roland Blaser
on Jan 11, 2012 at 10:17:38 pm

Dear AJA guys: an "error"? This explanation stinks to heaven. You are serious, right? Well, we, the ioHD users, have two ways we can go after ioHD: AJA or Black Magic Design. What do you think we will do after AJA leaves us behind in the dessert? A clever marketing would have managed this in a different way...

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:40:11 am

I'm an IO-HD user, and realize that within a year, or so my IO-HD will be little more than a doorstop.

But, the anger should be directed to Apple -- AJA would have been very happy I'm sure had Apple simply released FCP8.

AJA hasn't screwed you over -- Apple has.

Return to posts index

Roland Blaser
on Jan 12, 2012 at 5:03:37 pm

Hi Ken,

keep in mind that Apple promised to introduce broadcast quality monitoring for FCP X for beginning of 2012. Means: FCP X will stream a broadcast quality signal to external units like AJA and Black Magic Design interfaces (as FCP did up to release 7).
Depending on the technical details, video interface producers will have to implement it into their firmware or code the respective drivers, of course. Don't see reasons why this couldn't be done for ioHD.
But something else: AJA VTR Xchange has nothing to do with the Apple implementation as it allows the ioHD and other AJA hardware to ingest footage from tapes (or other sources) independently from a third party editing tool as FCP. The question is: how long will AJA VTR Xchange be supported as the new Control Room software will take over this job for AJA's hardware (except ioHD as we know from this thread).
IMO the whole thing (not to support ioHD anymore) is a pure marketing decision. I recommend AJA to reconsider this decision. If a marketing decision converts the AJA ioHD into a door-stopper it would be clever to offer ioHD owners a discount for an ioHD successor, for instance.

Roland

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Jan 12, 2012 at 5:20:18 pm

Thanks Roland for the detailed explanation.

I too am interested in hearing AJA's response to this.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Jan 29, 2012 at 2:28:19 pm

The writing was on the wall for IoHD the day the specs for FCPX were released I guess.

It would have been curteous of AJA to tell it's users via this board exactly what the implications were/are.

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]