FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cam to IoXT as fast as IoXT to Comp via Thunderbolt?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Black
Cam to IoXT as fast as IoXT to Comp via Thunderbolt?
on Dec 18, 2011 at 8:43:08 pm

Hey guys, do you know if when connecting an IoXT to serve as the middleman between a camera and a computer, does the camera transfer via SDI to the IoXT as fast as the IoXT afterwards transfers to the computer via Thunderbolt.

I just realized that whats the big deal about thunderbolt if it still takes the same amount of time for the camera to transfer to the IoXT passthrough as it did for the cam to transfer directly to the comp via SDI to an internal IoExpress.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Cam to IoXT as fast as IoXT to Comp via Thunderbolt?
on Dec 19, 2011 at 3:30:38 pm

[Frank Black] "whats the big deal about thunderbolt if it still takes the same amount of time for the camera to transfer to the IoXT passthrough as it did for the cam to transfer directly to the comp via SDI to an internal IoExpress."

HDSDI is used mainly for realtime viewing of uncompressed video images.

Thunderbolt is used to connect storage and other devices to a computer, it can handle both display and content on the same pipe, but it is not a Video Interface.

Playback of images from a camera would be the same in both cases

However the Transfer of data from that camera over Thunderbolt would be considerably faster than is possible over an HDSDI connection (this is called HSDL- and is used on film scanners and on high end cameras like Alexa and f65 but no where else)

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Frank Black
on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:32:36 am

so if i have a cam connected to an aja via sdi, and aja to a mac via thunderbolt, then would the footage get from the cam to the aja as fast as it would from the aja to the mac?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 20, 2011 at 3:16:52 am

You have to understand you won't be transferring your camera's native files, you will be recording the video signal to your harddrive, probably to ProRes .movs using something like the free VTR Exchange.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Frank Black
on Dec 20, 2011 at 9:45:13 am

are you saying that i'll be transferring the signal of the playback of the recorded file?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 20, 2011 at 1:14:37 pm

No. It's a real time record as you're shooting.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 20, 2011 at 2:08:48 pm

so if i have a cam connected to an aja via sdi, and aja to a mac via thunderbolt, then would the footage get from the cam to the aja as fast as it would from the aja to the mac?

The IoXT requires a computer, it is not a stand alone device, so I do not understand your question.

The IoXT is a Kona Card accessible externally via Thunderbolt, it will respond the same manner as a Kona Card, so you can handle what ever formats your storage will allow you to record.

No cameras currently have Thunderbolt ports, but Canon and others have announced that they will support it.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 20, 2011 at 3:44:29 pm

SDI is typically not a file transfer system, except in the situation that Gary alluded to earlier.

The ioXT is a video device which will allow you to record Quicktime Movies on to your computer/storage.

So, as you shoot, you will record, just like a tape. Instead it's direct to Quicktime movies. You can then take those Quicktime Movies and edit with them. The files that are recorded to your onboard camera can be used as backups of your footage.

What camera are you planning on using?

If you need a stand alone device, the AJA KiPro series might be an option. The ioXT also has advantages in that it will also serve in the edit (that is if you are planning to edit as well).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Frank Black
on Dec 21, 2011 at 12:44:21 am

to Jeremy: but it's only real-time if I have the camera connected to the AJA as I'm shooting, such as in a broadcast environment -- no?

to Gary: what I mean is -- if I'm using the AJA to transfer footage stored on a camera card onto a computer, I'll have the camera hooked up to the AJA via SDI, and the AJA to the Mac via Thunderbolt. Once the footage reaches the AJA, it will move on to the Mac at 10Gbps. But at what rate (and this question reveals that I'm a novice) will the footage "reach" the AJA from the camera card through SDI?

to Jeremy: I've been speaking to the AJA guys and they mention the KiPro too..... at the moment I'm not using a camera w/ SDI but researching.

Guys thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Frank Black
on Dec 21, 2011 at 1:42:12 am

hey guys, what does it mean that "Thunderbolt can run for 100 metres over optical fibre without a repeater." -- something I found online. does this mean that we dont have to go with the 6' thunderbolt cable?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 21, 2011 at 3:34:53 pm

[Frank Black] "hey guys, what does it mean that "Thunderbolt can run for 100 metres over optical fibre without a repeater." -- something I found online. does this mean that we dont have to go with the 6' thunderbolt cable?"

YES That is part of the Thunderbolt spec, but will not be enabled for at least 2 years - we are using copper at this time for TB connectivity.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

You do not seem to understand the difference between all of the tools and terms.

Thunderbolt is a data transfer tool like FW or USB but faster than both,

SDI and HDSDI are used to deliver REAL TIME video signals and virtually nothing you will come in contact with can handle anything other than a real time signal.

The IoXT, like the Kona 3G, BMD Ultra Studio, and Matox MXO series tools need to be attached to a computer to work and ALL of these devices record video as played from a camera in REALTIME.

The KiPro, KiPro Mini, BMD Shuttle, Convergent Design NANO and other devices all are stand alone capture devices- but after capture the data MUST be moved to a computer to edit with- none of these recorders also act as a editorial device like the computer connected IoXT or Kona 3G can be.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Frank Black
on Dec 22, 2011 at 2:03:15 am

I think I get it: the capture card captures the camera's playback, and the playback is the uncompressed/decoded version. SDI passes in real-time. Now here's a question -- if the camera is playing back in real-time, and there's an hour of footage, how is it that I've seen videos on Youtube where over thunderbolt, data was transferred in a flash almost. How can thunderbolt transfer faster than the capture card is capturing, considering that it is capturing in real-time -- meaning 1 hour (since it takes one hour to play back an hour of footage in real-time)? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rob Hargreaves
on Mar 15, 2012 at 5:01:57 pm

How does the IO XT assist in editing?
Is it just to allow output to a broadcast monitor or is there some other benefits?
I already have a second monitor connected to my MBP 17" via the TB/Mini Displayport works work fine in PPro CS 5.5 or FCPX 10.0.0.3, so what advantage is gain on the "editing" side?

Also I don't see any information about stream HD from the IO XT, is this possible?
Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]