FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA needs to respond to future of ioHD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Ranmar
AJA needs to respond to future of ioHD
on Nov 5, 2011 at 4:39:33 pm

It is only few years since the ioHd was originally developed for FcS. I have two of the units, and bought the last less than one year ago! Have been happy with the ioHD, but now that Apple has discontinued FCP, and the ioHD does not work with FCPX, the future of ioHd is unknown.

Many others are in the same situation, and we need some kind of roadmap fron AJA in order to feel that our investment has not been a mistake. If AJA is not gonna take the FcPX route, they should at least make drivers enabling video output from products such as Avid MC and Adobe PP. If there is no future product that will work with the ioHD, AJA should annonce this, and give us possibility to upgrade to another usable product.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, File Server w. X-Raid
.... and FCPX in the garbage bin

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: AJA needs to respond to future of ioHD
on Nov 5, 2011 at 7:29:19 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "Many others are in the same situation, and we need some kind of roadmap fron AJA in order to feel that our investment has not been a mistake"

The IoHD was designed specifically as a playback device for FCP users, it has not ever worked with any other companies software or hardware tools beyond AJA and Apple. It has always been a ProRes only device, I am sure that if any other NLE software wanted to support ProRes on this device it would have been by now.

If you change your preferred NLE's why is that incumbent on any MFG to support your decision to change?

This has not been the case with hardware specific tools made for Pinnacle, early Media 100, Sony Xpri, discreet Edit or any other previous NLE"s that are no longer supported in the marketplace.

You might re-think the need to dig FCPX out of the trashbin, as far as I know this device has never been supported on any other editing toolset.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Nov 5, 2011 at 10:42:48 pm

Well actually other NLEs do support ProRea, so a portation of the product should be possible.

And as far as my decision to change, this was provoked by Apples sudden paradigm change, which suddently doesn't support any flavour of video i/o.

Since Apple is also calling the new product "Final Cut Pro..." one would have expected the same "pro" features that were available in the father of this new (X) bastard to still have a function...

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 5, 2011 at 11:40:38 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "Well actually other NLEs do support ProRea, so a portation of the product should be possible."

Not as a native codec, I am sorry to say. Even MC will convert the file when rendering for output.

The IoHD can handle Uncompressed files on desktop systems able to handle the compression de-compression cycles, but that does not mean that the device was designed to work with them. If you read the original PR releases on the web, the IoHD was designed solely with FCP in mind as it was built in conjunction with Apple.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Nov 6, 2011 at 12:17:47 pm

Well the least I would expect then, is the possibility to use the device for video monitoring in FCPX, which also uses ProRes as internal codec.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 6, 2011 at 1:58:04 pm

Hence the reason I suggested pullinng FCPX out of your trash bin.

Apple does not currently support hardware with FCPX, but has promised compatibility with furture releases, let's hope that this indeed comes true.!

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Nov 6, 2011 at 8:58:35 pm

FCPX stays in the bin until they fix reconnect media and give us the freedom of keeping both media and projects on any kind of shared storage...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]