FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upscale a DVD Capture?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Milner
Upscale a DVD Capture?
on Apr 12, 2011 at 3:58:40 pm

Hi All,

I have a workstation running CS4 and I have the AJA Xena LHi and I'm trying to capture in an old wedding DVD from my LG Blu-ray player via HDMI.

I thought that I would be able to capture the 1080i upscaled signal, but the capture window is only letting me capture if I set the input to the 480i(wide) setting.

Are there some best-practices someone could share for this type of upscale job using the Xena LHi card?

The ideal output is 1080i

Many thanks in advanced.

Clint

Adobe CS4 Master Suite
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3700
Matrox RT.X2 LE Capture Card
4 TB RAID 5

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Upscale a DVD Capture?
on Apr 13, 2011 at 1:21:37 pm

The Xena is only capturing what it sees. You can wither use the card to upconvert, or have your BluRay player do it. You BluRay player appears to still be in Sd mode (if it does in fact upconvert Sd DVDs).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
on Apr 13, 2011 at 2:39:58 pm

Hi Jeremy,

It seemed that what you said is right about the blu-ray player being in SD mode still.

Unfortunately, when I set the setting to 1080p or 1080i, the card can't display the picture for some reason. The card can display when the player is set to 720p, but even with my RAID array, it won't capture.

Thanks anyway, I'm currently upscaling to 720p with AviSynth and we'll just settle for that.

Cheers,
Clint

Adobe CS4 Master Suite
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
12 GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3700
4 TB RAID 5

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 13, 2011 at 3:18:15 pm

[Clint Milner] "Unfortunately, when I set the setting to 1080p or 1080i, the card can't display the picture for some reason. "

Copy protection I'm sure (HDCP).

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
on Apr 13, 2011 at 3:34:41 pm

It was definitely a scrambled picture... probably was HDCP.

Didn't know about that, thanks for the info!

Clint

Adobe CS4 Master Suite
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
12 GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3700
4 TB RAID 5

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 13, 2011 at 3:47:16 pm

I wouldn't have thought you could get any usable signal from the Blu-ray's HDMI, due to HDCP. Bluray players will only output SD to non-HDCP compliant devices (ie via component out) as far as I know but I thought HDMI itself only gives a signal to HDCP compliant devices, all or nothing.

I think you should be sending the video to the AJA Card in SD and letting the Card do the upscale. With the DVD in a DVD Player and Composite in (RCA to BNC adapter, unfortunately), set it to capture 1920x1080, scaling on input. Not familiar with your card, just throwin stuff out there.

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
on Apr 13, 2011 at 4:21:07 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion... I haven't used the BNC connections before on this card (AJA Xena LHi)

Could this only be used to import the video? Am I right in saying that the BNC could only bring in on of the RCA cables?

Thanks for the info, it may work its way into my workflow if it seems to work.

Many thanks,
Clint

Adobe CS4 Master Suite
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
12 GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3700
4 TB RAID 5

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 13, 2011 at 4:23:58 pm

As I mentioned in my first post, just use the upconvert feature on the card via HDMI. No reason for composite.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]