FORUMS: list search recent posts

MX02 mini- I think I'll pass and get an IO Express

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Kosheff
MX02 mini- I think I'll pass and get an IO Express
on Mar 30, 2011 at 5:14:53 pm

I can't decide between these two, but the proven track record of the AJA products vs. all of the drama I have been reading on the Matrox site may have decided which of these I am going to buy.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: MX02 mini- I think I'll pass and get an IO Express
on Apr 1, 2011 at 4:33:42 pm

Then carry on! :)

Return to posts index

Charlie Kosheff
on Apr 2, 2011 at 11:26:53 am

I believe I will.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Krepner
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:16:50 pm

Question, other than the SDI i/o is there much difference between the AJA i/o express and the Matrox Mini? I see AJA mentions HDMI being ver 1.3a but I don't see Matrox's version listed.

I bought a Mini but am having some audio glitches and a couple of trips to the Matrox forum has me wondering if I should jump ship before the return period is up.

I'm leaning towards an Eizo 24" for a preview monitor (I guess HDMI to DVI or HDMI to display port) so in theory I could get a 10bit signal from FCP. Current setup for this edit system is a 17" MBP.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Jeff Krepner
producer-shooter-editor-cat entertainer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 5, 2011 at 5:40:07 pm

The IO Express can CAPTURE and output. The mini can only output. And doesn't have SDI. Then again, the IO doesn't have analog inputs.

Neither have deck Control.

If you run the 1.9 drivers with Matrox, things work fine...or even the LATEST drivers that fixed all of that audio stuff.

The IO costs $995. The Mini $450.

MAtrox comes with new software for calibrating HDTVs via HDMI. Fixes the issue with the old calibrator.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 5, 2011 at 5:42:55 pm

[Shane Ross] "Neither have deck Control. "

ioExpress has rs422, just to clarify. Also ltc in and out.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Krepner
on Apr 6, 2011 at 2:36:19 pm

Shane, thanks for info. Do you know if it is possible to go out from the HDMI (on the Mini or AJA) into a displayport on a monitor and get a 10-bit signal?

using something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-HDMI-Video-Adapter-Converter/dp/accessori...

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 6, 2011 at 2:42:44 pm

The ioExpress will send a 10bit HDMI signal. You need a monitor that will support it, though.

While many monitors tout 10bit processing, they only display 8.

Be careful.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Krepner
on Apr 6, 2011 at 3:41:55 pm

Oh yes, been reading endlessly on it. I like the HP Dreamcolor but from what I gather it works best when feed a progressive RGB signal, which in the case of these boxes won't do that. They send 10-bit YUV only (RGB 8-bit). The next options are the Eizo 24" models that cost about the same as the Dreamcolor that do accept YUV 10-bit but only have DVI and Displayport connections. DVI is usually 8-bit so I was wondering if a HDMI to Displayport adapter would pass along the 10-bit signal.

Follow me? With any luck, FCP 8 could maybe allow proper monitoring without using an after market box for those of us that basically just need the output from the capture boxes.

Thanks again!
Jeff

Jeff Krepner

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 6, 2011 at 3:45:32 pm

I have a DreamColor and love it. Really, you need the HDP2 to work with the DreamColor. Also, the HDMI signal on the ioExpress is adjustable to RGB (and it's not 8bit). This means, though, that you will need to be working in 720p or true 1080p (and nothing interlaced) to take full advantage of the DreamColor without an HDP2. I have an article here on the cow about the DreamColor. At that point, you would send SDI to the HDP2 and then HDMI to the DreamColor. The HDP2 takes care of the signal to send to the DreamColor as it always outputs RGB progressive no matter what the incoming signal is.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Krepner
on Apr 6, 2011 at 4:18:33 pm

Hi Jeremy, you know I did read that article... I didn't even put 2 and 2 together that it was you. That was a really helpful, btw. (I'm reading another thread now about calibrating the Dreamcolor as we speak) I own a HP ZR30w, which I love, btw.

Option 1: AJA i/o RGB 10-bit out on a 720P or 1080P timeline makes the Dreamcolor engine work.

Option 2: Same as above but if using an interlaced format add the HDP2 to de-interlace.

Is that about right so far?

I know you love the Dreamcolor, but do you have any experiences with the Eizo CG243W or CG245w? From what I'm gathering, it's engine doesn't need to be feed an RGB progressive signal in order to take advantage of the 3D LUTs, etc. If that is true, I could keep the MXO2 and go out 10-bit YUV assuming one can get from HDMI to display port.

Do people think Dreamcolor and Eizo are in the same ballpark accuracy wise? (or is that a whole other cans of worms>???) My searches comparing Dreamcolor vs. Eizo haven't yielded much info yet.

Thanks again
Jeff

Jeff Krepner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]