FORUMS: list search recent posts

IO HD in a tapeless workflow...

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert DiVito
IO HD in a tapeless workflow...
on Nov 19, 2010 at 6:18:52 pm

I own an IO HD. Using a MiniDV workflow it works great and is a timesaver. It is also a great way to monitor video from FCP, AJA TV, etc, although I can only monitor SD in Apple Colour. That said, i want to move to a tapeless workflow using flash media and was wanting thoughts on how the IOHD fits into that workflow. I realize i can (and have) use the IOHD to capture video directly into my MacBook Pro. Very useful but i imagine the KiPro is much more convenient for that.

With the current state of camera's and workflows where does the IOHD fit in? Can it still be utilized or should I sell it and move onto other technology?

best,

rob

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: IO HD in a tapeless workflow...
on Nov 19, 2010 at 7:58:16 pm

It can still be used to monitor your footage, make tape masters/downconverts.

The IoHD really wants ProRes media, though. What format are you planning on shooting?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Robert DiVito
on Nov 19, 2010 at 8:27:14 pm

Thanks for the reply Jeremy. At this point i am in the deciding stages of which camera to move into so it could be anything. I imagine it could be a DSLR which uses H.264, not a great editing codec. But i would think the transcode to prorez would be quick enough with Compressor. I am not doing a lot of multi-format ingest and equally not doing a lot of up/down conversion. It would seem the IoHD is a bit overkill for simply monitoring. There are many more cost effective options. That said it is a great unit and if there are other features/benefits/workflows/uses that I could utilize as I move forward I would appreciate your thoughts.

best,

Robert
Toronto, Canada

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 19, 2010 at 8:54:02 pm

[Robert DiVito] " But i would think the transcode to prorez would be quick enough with Compressor."

I'd use the Canon E1 plug in and log and transfer the footage.

[Robert DiVito] "It would seem the IoHD is a bit overkill for simply monitoring. There are many more cost effective options."

Maybe, but you own it. No need to buy anything. Don't underestimate the value of a good monitoring system! :)

[Robert DiVito] "That said it is a great unit and if there are other features/benefits/workflows/uses that I could utilize as I move forward I would appreciate your thoughts."

As long as you are working in ProRes timelines in FCP, the ioHD will be happy. (Doesn't even have to be ProRes footage, just a ProRes timeline).

The SD limitation in Color is a bummer, though. Apple never updated that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]