FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to get hdcam sr into final cut pro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Granger Pushton
how to get hdcam sr into final cut pro
on Oct 31, 2010 at 3:42:15 pm

I'm completely a n00b at all this.

We are shooting on a F35. My editor wants to see if we can get the footage directly into final cut pro. apparently you can because the final cut manual
says:

"If you’re working with HDCAM SR media, you can ingest it directly as
Apple ProRes 4444 clips using Final Cut Pro with a capture device that supports this. Both HDCAM SR and Apple ProRes 4444 are RGB-based, 4:4:4 color subsampled formats, so one is a natural container for the other."

So when it says "Capture device" is it talking about one of the IO aja units? If so which one would I need? Is there an article out there on the process I can read?

thanks.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: how to get hdcam sr into final cut pro
on Oct 31, 2010 at 7:06:53 pm

[Granger Pushton] "So when it says "Capture device" is it talking about one of the IO aja units? If so which one would I need?"

Yes it is talking about a capture card or something like an IoHD.

HOWEVER.
HDCamSR materials are often recorded as 444 RGB and to access that level of material you are limited to the Kona3 card in a powerful Desktop computer which will allow you to capture HDCamSR materials in all manners up to 10bit 444 RGB over DUAL LINK HDSDI.

You are going to need incredibly fast storage to be able to handle that amount of data when being captured. Data Rates for uncompressed materials run from 150MBps to over 600 MBps ( that's megabytes per second)

Did I mention that there are NO such thing as realtime effects when working uncompressed?

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Granger Pushton
Re: how to get hdcam sr into final cut pro
on Oct 31, 2010 at 10:54:56 pm

thanks gary,

so once we have our digital tapes from the f35 then we will have to get a deck that is hooked up to one of these kona3 cards in a mac/pc that will convert it to prores 444?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]