FORUMS: list search recent posts

best way to transfer DigiBeta SD to ProRes 422 ?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chip Yamada
best way to transfer DigiBeta SD to ProRes 422 ?
on Sep 22, 2010 at 2:33:21 am

Hello, I am new to the AJA IO world, new to the machine room all together. screwed? help me Cows!!

The network dumped a huge pile of SD DigiBeta tapes on us and we need to get them into our ProRes workflow.
I am renting equipment and realize I am probably missing something big.
Any help from you Cow heroes (you are heroes of the universe btw) is much needed/appreciated.
Here's what I have come up with:

DVW a500 Digi Deck >> AJA IO HD >>> MBP >>> SATA (express card slot) >>> G-Drives

Here's my Question(s):
The DigiBeta tapes are all SD, the AJA box will convert them to ProRes 422?
is this upres going to look alright?
is the setup of the Deck>>AJA IO especially complex or can I figure it out with manuals and forums?
am I supposed to run this through FCP?
I want to use my MBP (2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667MHz) --keeping the newer towers for editing is this gonna work??

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: best way to transfer DigiBeta SD to ProRes 422 ?
on Sep 22, 2010 at 5:55:09 pm

[Chip Yamada] "The DigiBeta tapes are all SD"
That is kind of redundant, there is nothing but SD DigiBeta tapes.

[Chip Yamada] "ProRes 422"
That is just a codec, what are you looking to go to, SD, 720p or 1080i or p?

If up-converting you need to set the correct cropping if you source material is 4:3, if it is anamophic 16:9 it is an easier path.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2010 at 6:15:21 pm

Have you ever hooked up a capture card and deck before? You said you have a machine room?

Return to posts index

Chip Yamada
on Sep 28, 2010 at 12:24:43 am

For anyone who needs to go from DigiBeta to ProRes 422 on a MacBook Pro, here's the deal:

Digibeta deck (Sony DVW A500) via SDI/BNC (audio follows video) to AJA IO HD box (hardware conversion to HD--firewire800 to MBP), Final Cut Pro will recognize the AJA and you can choose the in/out codec of your dreams, Log and Capture, Sonnet Tempo Express 34 SATA card to external drive (or express card firewire 800 if you like).

*Don't forget to install the drivers and updates for the AJA and Sonnet express card.
*you need to use the express slot because the AJA going into the 800 port maxes the firewire bus, and USB 2 not recommended for HD throughput.

So I answered my own question and just did selects off a troughful of digibetas with fine results. I hope this helps someone someday.

Peace.

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Sep 28, 2010 at 2:26:57 pm

HI chip,
what were the results like? Did the quality look acceptable, considering its never going to look like filmed HD? Would be interested to know if this would make a difference if a digibeta shot film would look better as HD if an HD projector were available for screening.

thanks
nick

Return to posts index

Chip Yamada
on Sep 28, 2010 at 3:53:23 pm

I was impressed by the upres quality, but I am no expert. The IO HD hardware conversion was definitely better than FCP rendering.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]