FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA IO Express MacBook Pro Laptop Thoughts?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Stevens
AJA IO Express MacBook Pro Laptop Thoughts?
on Aug 15, 2010 at 2:37:00 pm

I'm looking at putting together a system with a new 17" MacBook Pro and an Io Express box. I would primarily be doing XDCAM EX type work as well as a SD Uncompressed type work (using external converters to go in and out of Betacam SP VTRs when needed).

1. I was interested to hear experiences with setups like this. The good/bad?

2. What hard drive configurations are people using with this setup? Since this interface uses the express card slot, is the recommended drive solution to use a firewire 800 drive? Any specific drive models?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AJA IO Express MacBook Pro Laptop Thoughts?
on Aug 16, 2010 at 3:03:47 pm

fw800 will be crucial. As far as models, how much are you willing to spend and is it ok if it has some heft? Do you want raid redundancy? Are you going to be moving around a lot?

Return to posts index

John Stevens
on Aug 17, 2010 at 10:41:28 pm

I guess right now I would like to look at all options - meaning that I don't want to think about money right at this point. I will be moving around a lot. RAID redundancy maybe/maybe not

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 18, 2010 at 12:38:31 am

Well, you really have a couple of options.

The ioExpress is smaller, lighter, cheaper and works very well. It is down convert on output only. Digital (SDI) input only, and uses the Express/34 slot which leaves fw800 as your only storage option. It can also playback a multitude of video codecs.

The ioHD is bigger, heavier (but not real heavy), expensiver (yes, you heard me), but has up/down/cross conversion, a huge amount of varied digital and analog inputs AND outputs and connects to the computer via fw800. This allows more connection options for hard drives (eSata, fw800, etc), and also to analog decks without conversion. The ioHD really wants to see ProRes in HD and can go uncompressed in SD. Anything that is not ProRes is converted real time to ProRes on the CPU. This is a limiting factor on a laptop. If going the ioHD route, I would recommend editing on a ProRes timeline that matches the frame rate and full raster size of your footage. So if you're editing 1440x1080 XDCam footage, I would edit on a 1920x1080 ProRes timeline at a matching frame rate.

AS far as storage, I'd recommend a small raid; something like the sonnet D400QR5. It is bigger than single drive options, but if you're moving around a lot, the redundancy is key. It also has a bunch of inputs for your needs. It features raid 5 built right in to it.

http://sonnettech.com/product/fusion400qr5.html

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Stevens
on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:55:40 pm

Jeremy,
Thanks for the rundown of the two AJA options and for the drive link.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2010 at 11:29:44 pm

No worries. I just realized I forgot to mention the ioExpress has HDMI 1.3a in/out, and also LTC in/out as well.

ioHD has HDMi 1.2 as well as LTC.

Write back with any questions.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]