FORUMS: list search recent posts

IOHD and hdv

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Mack
IOHD and hdv
on May 17, 2010 at 11:08:09 pm

I habe only ever used Pro Res and 525 in final cut and now I have an HDV sequence. I play my timeline out of the IOHD to my 61" DLP. Now when I play the HDV sequence out, I have dropped frames. Do I have to convert to Pro res?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Gustavo Mendes
Re: IOHD and hdv
on May 18, 2010 at 2:23:27 am

It all depends on your computer and RAD specs, but the short answer is yes.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on May 18, 2010 at 2:17:53 pm

Well, I created a new sequence by using an IOHD easy setup. I then copied my clips from the HDV sequence and placed them in the pro res sequence and it works fine - playback. I have a green render par but it previews perfectly. I tried changing the sequence settings on the hdv sequence to match the pro res sequence and that one still won't playback. The settings are now identical. Can't figure that out!

JEff

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 18, 2010 at 6:49:11 pm

Well if you cannot figure it out how do you expect any help for anyone here. You have not listed any settings or system specs.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on May 18, 2010 at 7:15:17 pm

Hey Michael. I did just figure it out accidentally while on the phone with Jerry at AJA. I thought it was simply an issue of not being able to play 1080i 60 through the IOHD. Anyway, here's the specs.

MBP 2.16, 2 gb ram, 10.6.3, FCP 7.0.2, IOHD updated, files on 500 gb system internal drive, 250 gb free.

So I capture HDV, 1080i and lay it on my timeline. I turned on my IOHD and got a kernal panic. shut down and restarted. turned on IOHD, then FCP and all ok. Component out of IOHD into my home theatre receiver into a 61" DLP. I have video playback in a/v settings set to pro res 1920 x 1080.

The problem was that when I play back the HDV footage, it plays like 2 seconds then gives me the dropped frame warning. My original post was intended to ask if HDV could play through the IOHD. I called AJA and they said it couldn't because my machine wasn't robust enough.

WHat I did to solve the problem was to select pro res lt as my easy setup. I created a new sequence using that easy setup. I copied and pasted all of the HDV clips onto the new sequence. I got the green render bar. Playback is set to unlimited. Now the timeline plays threough my IOHD without any problems.

I since opened safari and monitor went black. came back into fcp to reactivate the timeline, hit play and got the dropped frame warning again. Then I simply hit easy setup and then setup, the monitor flickered, hit play and all is ok again >I recreated this intermittancy and by hitting easy setup, I lost the dropped frame issue. Note: I have not rendered. The clips are still HDV.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 18, 2010 at 7:22:02 pm

[Jeff Mack] "files on 500 gb system internal drive, 250 gb free. "

If you had a faster external drive, you won't get the dropped frames. ALso, render before playback.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on May 18, 2010 at 7:28:23 pm

This is what I am saying. I'm staying on the internal and I did not render and I got rid of the dropped frame warnings.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 18, 2010 at 7:31:56 pm

[Jeff Mack] "I'm staying on the internal and I did not render and I got rid of the dropped frame warnings."

AN external drive that is not a fw800 drive that the ioHD is looped through (that is, make sure you have a fw800, or esata express/34 card to separate the ioHD bus from the drive bus) and your performance should be even much better.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Gustavo Mendes
on May 18, 2010 at 7:52:19 pm

Honestly, although you had a few instances where it played it fine, without an external drive it just not going to work well. Another problem is that your machine is below the minimum specs, and to render HDV to ProRes on the fly you'll need something faster.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on May 18, 2010 at 8:00:11 pm

Thanks Gustavo Michael and Jeremy, I normally use an expresscard to esata to 4 disk raid when I work. In this case though, I'm sifting through an hour and a half of run and gun to get 3 minutes. I intended to get all of my clips selected and then do a media manage and render the resulting to pro res just to save time and space. Since I haven't worked through the HDV output before, I didn't know of it's shortcomings to just be able to play out through the IOHD. I have it working now but understand it's not an optimal workflow. The other PITA is that since I have my clips separated in the timeline, every time I hit a blank space, I drop again. Then when I get to the next clip, it's fine. How weird is that?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 18, 2010 at 8:01:55 pm

Try putting a slug in the gaps.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 18, 2010 at 8:10:35 pm

You are hitting your head again the wall. Just because a wrong system works sometimes doesn't mean it should work all of the time.

HDV is heavy on the processor. So everything you do to strain the system the more problem you are going to get.

Having unrendered HDV clips in a ProRes timeline, the computer is still processing HDV, and not ProRes, while it may help it is not a solution. The one this I would try would be to move the clips to an external HD and connect it via a USB port. While USB is not recommended for video, HDV is so light of a load it would probably be okay. This gets the footage off the system drive and doesn't load the FW bus taken up by Io.

FWIW - Your system is not under spec for HDV, it is underspec for IoHD in general. When I was using a system like that I had issues all the time, and I was working with either ProRes or DVCProHD.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on May 18, 2010 at 8:32:12 pm

loud and clear. Just finished the edit so now I'll render and go to external where I can add graphics etc. Is it the 2.16 GHz processor that's underspec? Because I thought the MBP was meant to be part of the IOHD workflow. Consider the thread closed. I was just happy to monitor the HDV w/u rendering, that's all.

Thanks all.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 18, 2010 at 8:34:03 pm

Look at the long blue bar on the right side of the page:

http://www.aja.com/support/io/io-hd-documents.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]