FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with IO HD and ProRes LT

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gustavo Mendes
Problem with IO HD and ProRes LT
on May 3, 2010 at 7:16:31 am

So, I am working on a personal project and did some test capture with the ProRes LT codec. FCP 7.0.2, MacBook Pro 2.4/4 gigs of RAM, ESATA RAID 5 with more than enough speed for write and read, IO HD connected to my tv with a HDMI cable. Sequence settings are AJA easy setup for ProRes LT 720p 59.94.

Capture was smooth, files play back on AJA TV or Quicktime no problem, but if I try to use FCP and IO HD to watch the files, timeline playback stops with the dropped frame rate warning. What i can notice is a big spike in processor use, although the timeline has no render signs and there are no other codecs being used.

One thing that i noticed is that under the View menu in FCP there no option for ProResLT, only for ProRes 422 or HQ. I'm assuming that is does not make any difference, or AJA would probably have created one for LT, but if I capture the same footage as Proxy or 422 (regular or HQ) i can monitor with no problems.

Anyone else has this problem?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Problem with IO HD and ProRes LT
on May 4, 2010 at 1:57:43 am

I haven't tried this particual wirflow, but I assume your drivers and firmware are up to date?

Return to posts index

Gustavo Mendes
on May 4, 2010 at 2:19:58 am

Forgot to write that, everything is up to date, and I reinstalled the drivers.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 5, 2010 at 2:35:44 pm

[Gustavo Mendes] "Forgot to write that, everything is up to date, and I reinstalled the drivers"

DID YOU UPDATE THE FIRMWARE ???

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Gustavo Mendes
on May 5, 2010 at 4:39:23 pm

Firmware is updated. Had I chat with Aja yesterday, according to them the codec is "heavier" and takes more processing power than the others..... Not exactly what I imagined....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 5, 2010 at 4:41:35 pm

[Gustavo Mendes] "Not exactly what I imagined.... "

It's more compressed so it takes more processing effort to encode and decode, just less bandwidth to play it back. With uncompressed (for example) it's less processor intensive, but it takes a hell of a lot more bandwidth to play it back.

Return to posts index

Gustavo Mendes
on May 5, 2010 at 4:47:56 pm

Oh well, new laptop is the solution, it seems. Thanks for the help Gary.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]