FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closed Captioning from FCP7 to BetaSP trouble

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Sigerist
Closed Captioning from FCP7 to BetaSP trouble
on Apr 30, 2010 at 11:32:23 pm

Hi all,
I've been tasked with outputting a 30 minute program with closed captioning. I've taken a provided QuickTime file and dropped it into a FCP7 Uncompressed, 10-bit sequence. My MacBook Pro is tethered to my Beta Deck via FW400/AJA IoLA. I click on the closed caption option and navigate to the .scc file and regardless of whether I choose Print to video or Edit to tape, I get the following error: The current video output device or format does not support closed captioning data.

The cc creation company has also provided a "black QT" with the cc embedded. I've tried laying that over the video in my timeline and cropping the bottom 98% so all I can see is are the dashed lines at the top. After mastering...still no cc.

Even on this board there seems to be some confusion as to whether cc can travel over FW but I can't help but to think it's something to do with the IoLA. I've downloaded the latest update as well.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich Sigerist
RSVP Creative
Ventura, CA

Return to posts index

Jason Livingston
Re: Closed Captioning from FCP7 to BetaSP trouble
on May 2, 2010 at 4:07:45 am

Hi Rich,
The black QT method will work with the Io LA.

First, try connecting a consumer TV directly to the Io LA via composite instead of through the Beta deck to simplify things (you might have line blanking enabled on the deck). Make sure CC1 is enabled on the TV.

Also make sure your FCP sequence and output settings are set to 720x486 (not 720x480).

If you still aren't seeing the captions, have the CC service company do a calibration test for your system to make sure their settings are right, and then they can send you a new black QT CC file with the correct settings.

Hope this helps,

Jason Livingston
CPC Closed Captioning

Return to posts index

Rich Sigerist
on May 3, 2010 at 7:07:57 pm

Thanks Jason,

The official word, however, from AJA tech support is "The Io supports CC on capture however does not support the insertion of CC files on ETT or PTV." I guess I'm out of luck. Good thing I wasn't planning on making much money on THAT gig.

I can't complain, though. The AJA IoLA has been an extremely reliable device for the 6 or 7 years I've had it and it was also nice to be able to actually call up there and talk to someone.
Don't see a lot of that these days.

Thanks again,

Rich

Rich Sigerist
RSVP Creative
Ventura, CA

Return to posts index

Jason Livingston
on May 3, 2010 at 8:46:22 pm

Hi Rich,
They're referring to the new CC feature in FCP7, which as they say, is not supported by the Io LA.

However, the "black movie" method invented by CPC will work since it doesn't require any special support from the NLE software or card.

You just need the CC company to generate the black movie file correctly. If they can't do it, CPC can convert the SCC file to a working black movie for a small fee.

Hope this helps,

Jason Livingston
CPC Closed Captioning

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]