FORUMS: list search recent posts

5.1 surround sound with I/O?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Greene
5.1 surround sound with I/O?
on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:35:33 pm

I need to project a movie through the I/O HD from my laptop in a theater. Is there a way to output 5.1 surround sound through the I/O box?

I'd like to use AJA tv to play the quicktime as I keep getting dropped frames playing through FCP.

Can the surround sound even be included in a quicktime prores file?

Thanks!

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.brucealangreene.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 5.1 surround sound with I/O?
on Apr 30, 2010 at 2:14:26 pm

You can send the 6 separate channels out of the iohd via the aes bncs, but you'd need a couple of da converters and the unit on the other end would need to be able to understand what those 6 analog channels were, unless the unit can handle Aes audio.

Return to posts index

Bruce Greene
on Apr 30, 2010 at 9:08:18 pm

Thanks Jeremy. Just checked with the projectionist today and made a test. They are set up to take the AES audio and have their own D/A converter.

Anything we need to know about making a quicktime with all the tracks?

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 30, 2010 at 9:15:48 pm

Well, I assume that you have a 5.1 mix already?

How did you receive it?

If so, you need to setup the FCP timeline for 6 outputs and assign each track to the appropriate output (you can do this in the audio mixer or on the timeline by right clicking towards the left of the timeline, right by the auto-select boxes and choose the output there). When you export the file, you will have six tracks (you should reimport the export in FCP, just to check as Quicktime won't tell you just by opening it, you can look at the properties in QT though, and it should show 6 audio tracks).

You have to make sure you are sending the correct track to the correct output according to the theatre's AES system. (Left front is track 1, or whatever they need).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bruce Greene
on Apr 30, 2010 at 9:22:18 pm

The sound is being mixed this week.

I would like to play from the AJA TV application as FCP is dropping frames on playback.

Can a single QT clip have all six tracks?

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 30, 2010 at 9:56:26 pm

[Bruce Greene] "I would like to play from the AJA TV application as FCP is dropping frames on playback. "

Hmm, you'd have to test with AJA TV. VTR Exchange might be an option. I can run a test in a little while.

[Bruce Greene] "Can a single QT clip have all six tracks? "

You got it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 30, 2010 at 10:04:16 pm

After checking, VTR Exchange can definitely route the audio as needed.

I'd go that route vs AJA TV.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bruce Greene
on May 1, 2010 at 5:05:16 am

Thanks again Jeremy.

Unfortunately, VTR exchange is dropping frames, as is FCP.

FCP never used to drop frames in this format. I don't know why it is now. AJA TV application seems to have no trouble playing the files.

I wonder if there is something weird about the files now that they've been rendered in Apple Color to ProRes HQ? Though most of the original files were recorded by the I/O in ProRes HQ, but I never noticed so many dropped frames before.

For whatever reason AJA TV has no trouble playing the files....

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 1, 2010 at 5:51:01 am

Tell me more about your system. Like what OS, FCP, drives, etc.

Return to posts index

Bruce Greene
on May 1, 2010 at 3:15:42 pm

I'm running a OS 10.5.8
on a MBP 2.2 GHz core 2 duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
FUJITSU MHY2250BH 250 GB HD (internal)
FCP 6.0.6
Quicktime player 7.6.4
AJA software 6.0.2

I first tried using an external FW 800 drive plugged into the card bus slot, but the cardbus adapter didn't seem to work on my MBP for some reason (not a good physical fit) and I couldn't see the drive, though I could detect the adapter....

I then transferred the footage (it's a single 20 minute 720p 23.98fps Prores HQ clip) to my internal HD to play from. And FCP kept dropping frames and stopping. I clicked the "don't warn" box and now it plays, just skipping a frame 10 seconds or so.

The Quicktime player skips the frames also.

It seems weird to me as I've had no trouble playing 1080P 23.98frs ProResHQ in the past on this computer. From a FW drive even. Something has slowed everything down just a bit, I and I'm not sure what it is. The AJA TV player seems to get through it though.

The director of the movie has a newer MBP and his drops frames as well, just not as often.
Sometimes the MacPro Tower that I color corrected on would drop frames (in FCP) even though I was playing off an internal raid and I could never figure that out.

The dropped frames are not really an issue until now because I will be playing the 100 minute movie off my laptop through the AJA i/O to a large audience in June. And that's what I need the 5.1 surround track for :)

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 1, 2010 at 1:42:02 pm

[Bruce Greene] "Unfortunately, VTR exchange is dropping frames, as is FCP. "

when these app's are dropping frames your disk drives are Not fast enough to play back your content.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Bruce Greene
on May 1, 2010 at 3:23:49 pm

[gary adcock] "[Bruce Greene] "Unfortunately, VTR exchange is dropping frames, as is FCP. "

when these app's are dropping frames your disk drives are Not fast enough to play back your content.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL "

Thanks Gary,

That was my first thought as well. But I wonder why AJA TV app. can play the file without problems, but QT Player cannot?

My internal drive still has 45GB of free space, but maybe it's just become too fragmented over time? Still, why can AJA TV play the file without seeming to drop frames?

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 1, 2010 at 9:36:09 pm

I'd suggest an exernal esata drive with an express/34 card.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Quadrophonic sound with I/O?
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:08:01 pm

I have tried to setup the ioHD to playout 2 front and 2 rear analog channels with SoundtrackPro, but it defaults to the analog channels being setup as: L, R, C, Ls.

Anybody know if it is possible to trick STPrp to playout L, R, Ls, Rs ???

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Server w. X-Raid

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: Quadrophonic sound with I/O?
on Jul 2, 2010 at 8:00:52 pm

Solved it by taking audio from the AES tracks, where we have 8 outputs. From STP 1 & 2 corresoond to L & R , while 5 & 6 correspond to Ls & Rs.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Server w. X-Raid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]