FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to clarify a problem with ioHD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Wise
Trying to clarify a problem with ioHD
on Apr 17, 2010 at 9:18:18 pm

Hey everyone. Thanks in advance to any and all who can help me with this. It's probably something soooo simple I'm just over looking it.

A little over a year ago, we purchased an ioHD and it is GREAT. However, our work is lending itself to doing more and more HD projects. It seems that when I get footage either in XDCAM or HDV and editing strictly in FCP, the ioHD works great. But the moment I try to output it to a video monitor, FCP's response time turns to crap. (I should also note this is only with HD. I have no problems working in SD.)

Suddenly while editing a sports show requiring alot of quick edits, moving my timeline indicator can take up to 5 or 8 seconds before it can move to the point I'm trying to get in my timeline. Even if I just want to load a clip in the Viewer, I still have to wait between 5 and 8 seconds for it to happen. I've experimented with XDCAM, HDV, AJA ProRes Presets, but nothing seems to fix the problem. But the moment I work in FCP WITHOUT monitoring through a video monitor, it works great.

I would give you the specs of my computer and our storage network system, however I am (as I say this proudly) away from work; but this is really annoying and would like a clear answer. I can tell you we are using a Fibre Jet Rorke system with about 20 Terabytes of space with a hefty read/write. My MacPro was purchased about a year ago with 10 Gigs of ram. (I'm sure you guys may need more spec info than this, but this is all I can give at the moment.)

Should everthing be in ProRes across the board with an AJA 1080i preset or should there be a button clicked that I am not aware of. Also, I've done the "change the render to ProRes instead of same as codec" but no difference.

So what's causing the problem?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Trying to clarify a problem with ioHD
on Apr 18, 2010 at 12:44:21 am

The ioHD wants ProRes. At the very least you should edit in a ProRes timline. Anything else in HD, the computer is doing the real time transcode to ProRes before sending it out to the ioHD.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 19, 2010 at 2:13:30 pm

[Paul Wise] "Suddenly while editing a sports show requiring alot of quick edits, moving my timeline indicator can take up to 5 or 8 seconds before it can move to the point I'm trying to get in my timeline."

Are you using firewire drives?
This delay is an indicator that you have something else on the same FW chain.

The IoHD can be the only thing on the FW buss.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Paul Wise
on Apr 19, 2010 at 4:43:48 pm

Hey Gary,

Already took care of that one. We purchased a separate FW card for other video devices to keep the ioHD happy.

I guess it has to be ProRes across the board?

Thanks again to both you and Jeremy.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2010 at 4:48:26 pm

[Paul Wise] "I guess it has to be ProRes across the board? "

It doesn't HAVE to be, but if it's not, your computer will be doing the transcodes in real time. At the very least, edit in a ProRes timeline and render.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 19, 2010 at 5:20:57 pm

[Paul Wise] "I guess it has to be ProRes across the board?
"

Especially on a laptop.

While a desktop could handle DVCPROHD, the LongGOP mpeg stuff from the EX is never going to fly in realtime.

Sorry.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]