FORUMS: list search recent posts

In a bind Mac to PC

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Mack
In a bind Mac to PC
on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:09:47 am

I Shot about 80 gigs of video and my client needs it on a pc, >mov file 15 GB each. I have never attempted this before. Bought an external drive and formatted it on the pc as ntfs. I am trying to send them over a network but I keep getting error 51 on my mbp. How do you guys do this. Also formatting the drive to ntfs on xp pro, I can't seem to get the file sizes to work. Any ideas?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: In a bind Mac to PC
on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:02:40 am

If your client wants to buy MacDrive, ($50) they can mount and read/write to a Mac formated drive. I have used this on a XP system and it worked fine.

You can get http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/ to work with the drive you have now. I have not used this software so I'm just pointed to it.

- Our software is idiot-proof, if you bought it it proves you are an idiot. - Dilbert

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:44:13 pm

[Jeff Mack] " How do you guys do this. Also formatting the drive to ntfs on xp pro, I can't seem to get the file sizes to work. Any ideas? "

the windows format called FAT32 volumes have a 2GB file size limit, NTFS can see larger physical sizes but is not viewable on older systems and the drives will need to be reformatted to change them.

its $$ for the macdrive or reformat all of the windows volumes to NTFS

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Mar 31, 2010 at 2:48:55 pm

FAT16 volumes have a size limit per partition of 2GB; FAT32 volumes have a limit of 128 GB per volume. FAT32 formatting and partitioning is recognized by both 32- bit (or 64-bit) Windows, and by Mac. Format your transfer (portable)drive freshly to FAT 32 (you might have to "zero it out). In Windows, a Windows 98 floppy can prepare the boot (beginning) of the drive with the FDISK command and it`s various sub- commands, then you can format after a reboot. Windows ME and 2000 have somewhat similar ends by a different process. Windows Server or XP has some ways to do it too, but fewer ways. After this ask Mac and PC friends how to work with file- sharing, attributes, etc. , the little things. Don`t try to use NTFS formatted drives for moving files sneakernetted between computers.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Mar 31, 2010 at 3:37:16 pm

Fred, Gary and Michael,

Thanks for the comments. I know this forum wasn't the place for this but I respect you all and was in a bind. Strange how I never even considered anyone on a pc. Anyway, I went to the apple store to get macdrive and they didn't sell it, I had to go online. They told me about a free trial on a similar product called Tuxera NTFS. I did the free trial and it worked perfectly. It was only $35 so I got it.

Anyway, I gave the client the drive and after all of that, they can't use my .mov files. They asked me to convert my HDV to mpg 2. I looked at compressor and it was going to take like 26 hours for one 2 hour file! Any comments on that? They are working with premier.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jeff

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 31, 2010 at 4:00:01 pm

[Jeff Mack] "Anyway, I gave the client the drive and after all of that, they can't use my .mov files. They asked me to convert my HDV to mpg 2. "

Premier on the PC can read about any file format. What format are you sending?
if you are talking about HDV content (not SxS or Xdcam) don;t convert to mp2 use DVCproHD instead- it will be a much faster output.

if your content is ProRes -they can download the QT / ProRes player for windows.
did they even try to install QT for Windows to get it to work?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:24:37 am

I would suggest using a non apple codec. it may cause problems. keep in mind that even if you captured say a DV codec file with final cut it will still not play back on a pc with quicktime, or at least no easily.

there are two easy ways of doing this. and a fat32 drive will not work as Gary pointed out there is a 2GB file size limit. while the partition size is not 2GB individual files are limited.

1 - you could use bootcamp put xp on it.. connect a ntfs hardrive via firewire copy the files from the Macintosh HD over too the ntfs drive. however I think you can only use the interal mac formated drive in boot camp without third party software, didn't check though

2 - connect the windows machine and mac with firewire 400/800 and share the drive on the mac using Samba (SMB) and access that drive from the pc and copy the files over to the NTFS drive.

should be pretty easy. though will take some time.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:24:25 pm

If a file is limited to a 2 GB size in FAT 32 then this is no problem. File linking, unfortunately one of the more hidden things in a PC, which is regular practice, still accesses you to nearly all of the theoretical 128 GB limit of a volume. NTFS with it`s excessive heaploads of security is less error recoverable and less user friendly. The metadata often attached to the ends of filenames or often links too, is the real problem. Like Jason said though, stepping out of a Mac setup soon enough is often the cheap and dirty fix. Since between us, we probably don`t write enough new computer code to stack on paper underneath a coffee cup, look for the right software and practices. Spend a little more business time with your client.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]