FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help with AJA conversion

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
April Rose
Help with AJA conversion
on Mar 14, 2010 at 5:25:00 am

I need to digitize beta tapes. I have a Sony Betacam sp PVW 2800 and I am connecting it to the AJA io hd through YPbPr cables and then to my imac i7 (still waiting for mac pro to arrive). When I capture in FCP the video looks pixelated. Is this just due to the fact that beta tapes are old, or should I have the beta deck hooked up via different cables (i.e. SDI)? Also, what is the best preset in "Easy Settings" just to digitize to raw files?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Help with AJA conversion
on Mar 15, 2010 at 7:34:24 pm

BetaSP is anolog so there is no reason to use SDI (you need a DigiBeta deck with analog conversion to do that anyway).

[April Rose] " When I capture in FCP the video looks pixelated"
As in glitches, blocks of green, pink or multicolored? How are you viewing the footage to determine quality? Post a frame of what you are seeing.

One problem with IoHD and an iMac, you should be capturing to an external HD but you cannot be using a FW drive because the IoHD is taking up the entire FW bus (Note: FW 400 and 800 are all on the same bus)

So I would try capturing to the internal drive or a USB drive. Neither is recommended but for SD they maybe okay. Preset should be ProRes 720x486 29.97 (not ProResHQ)

Return to posts index

April Rose
on Mar 15, 2010 at 7:58:22 pm

Thanks for confirming the SDI situation and for the preset info. Just out of curiosity, why is the ProResHQ not recommended?

Also we will be getting a mac pro soon, we are using the iMac as a temporary solution while we figure out our process.

I will post a frame of the quality in a bit.

I would like to choose the best format for the digital output. Basically the file type, type of digital video file. DV? Would you recommend backing up to digital and then converting? Any compression involved?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 15, 2010 at 9:09:27 pm

Use ProRes as Michael said. Choose the AJA NTSC ProRes easy setup and you should be good to go.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:41:00 pm

Let's help out on that math first.

According to the AJA data calc, 250 hours (500 30-min Betas) would take up 5.6TBs of storage @ ProRes.

ProRes HQ would be 8.2 TBs.

With 2TB drives coming in at $200 at the very most, that'd be $600 or $1000 dollars.

Even if you have 500 1 hour Betas, that'd be $1200 or $2000.

And 90 min Betas would be $1800 or $2400. That's a far cry from 20k. Double all those prices if you need a backup (why do you need a backup when you have the tape)?

If you give us the full scope of your project and what you are trying to do, we can possibly help you out a bit more.

Return to posts index

April Rose
on Apr 3, 2010 at 11:05:45 pm

Thanks for your response Jeremy.

To give you a brief idea of what I'm trying to do, I have tons of Betacam SP and D-2 Composite Digital tapes. I plan to archive and catalog them as well as digitizing all the content to backup in a database. I have estimated about 800 3-hour beta tapes (meaning 800 titles, averaging around 3 hours each (2-3 60-90 minute tapes).

Here's the rundown of my calculations (hope i did it right):

Test Sample = 1 hr Betacam SP footage (about 20 gb)
@ Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) 10-bit

3 hours = 180 minutes
3 hours x 800 = 2400 hours

2400 hours x 20gb = 48,000 gb
48,000 gb = ~48 tb

48 tb / 2 tb (drives currently in the market) = I will need 24 x 2tb drives.

24 (2 tb drives) x $140 (current price) = $3,360

^ again, these are all rough estimates.

1) To answer your other question, I wanted digital backups in case the edited ones ever get corrupt. Basically, we want all untouched footage as 1 source.

2) The original projected cost was for the 10-bit uncompressed footage which was averaging around 100gb per hour. (Roughly $16,800 of 2tb hard drives)

3) Would 48 KHz / 24-bit (which is default) be the best audio configuration?

4) Also, is the file format supposed to be .mov? What is the proper file format were supposed to be exporting via final cut? .dv?

Thanks again, I'm excited to hear more!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 5, 2010 at 2:52:29 pm

For SD footage, ProResHQ is way overkill. You can drop that down to ProRes, or even ProRes LT to save some disk space. If this is just an archive, you might want to even consider IMX50 or other industry standard MXF container.

With the AJA Data calculator, I am getting these numbers for 2400 hours of NTSC footage:

ProRes HQ: 78.9 TB
ProRes SQ: 53.4 TB
ProRes LT: 37.9 TB

[April Rose] "1) To answer your other question, I wanted digital backups in case the edited ones ever get corrupt. Basically, we want all untouched footage as 1 source. "

You can always reload a tape to save the cost of a digital backup. in this case, the tapes are your backup.

[April Rose] "2) The original projected cost was for the 10-bit uncompressed footage which was averaging around 100gb per hour. (Roughly $16,800 of 2tb hard drives) "

Got it. What are you going to do with this footage and what needs access to it?

[April Rose] "4) Also, is the file format supposed to be .mov? What is the proper file format were supposed to be exporting via final cut? .dv? "

However you capture it will be the file format. If you capture ProRes, you will edit and export ProRes. Those are Quicktime Movies (.mov).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]