FORUMS: list search recent posts

IO HD Competitors

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TJ McGinnis
IO HD Competitors
on Feb 11, 2010 at 9:14:52 am

Hello,

I am wondering what the IO HD competitors are. I am needing a device to be able to capture footage from a tv truck in to FCP and then also play back to the truck. I am aware of the Express although some trucks we are in that can't do embedded audio. I have only looked at the AJA products as of now. Are there similar products from other companies I should look at that do the same thing but are a little cheaper than the IOHD? What are the negatives of going with a cheaper device? Does anyone know where I could find a used IOHD that works like new?
TJ

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: IO HD Competitors
on Feb 11, 2010 at 7:52:26 pm

[TJ McGinnis] " I am needing a device to be able to capture footage from a tv truck in to FCP and then also play back to the truck"

AJA KiPro:

http://www.aja.com/products/ki-pro/

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 16, 2010 at 4:07:07 am

TJ,
you define the new worker in the United States. How on earth did you ever get the opportunity to work on production trucks. It is beyond me that you have no ability to use the internet, or to even bother to glance at Creative Cow, where all of this information is spelled out in incredible detail.

You must be an "editor" since you need a product to capture and playback to the production truck, yet you must have AES/EBU audio capability. Jeremy incorrectly told you about the AJA KiPro - not because it's wrong information, but he did not read the KEY comment in your post -
"that do the same thing but are a little cheaper than the IOHD"

So work on hi end truck productions, with digital audio boards like Calrec's that use AES/EBU audio, and you don't charge enough to get the AJA I/O HD ? Well, MOTU makes the V4HD that has AES/EBU outputs, and Matrox makes the MXO2 Rack, that has AES/EBU outputs, and both of these products cost about $1000 less than AJA I/O HD. And you seem to be aware of the I/O Express (that cheap under $1000 price perked up your interest , huh ? ) - but no AES/EBU - well, AJA and others (like Blackmagic) make HD-SDI embedders and de embedders, so you can get the I/O Express, and embed, and de embed the audio, so you can still get the better product (AJA), and embed and de debed audio AES/EBU audio for your application. So you will ultimately spend about the same price for this combo as the MOTU or Matrox MXO2 rack (the $2000 price point) -

but then, you ask the question -
"Does anyone know where I could find a used IOHD that works like new? "

well, I just went to a great new website - maybe you heard of it - it's called EBAY, and I typed in the word I/O HD, and low and behold - an AJA I/O HD was listed for under $1800 for sale. Amazing, this new internet stuff ! What's the world coming to, what will they think of next.

Maybe you should spend a little less time on Facebook. I am making fun of you, because it is your job in life to learn your career - be it an auto mechanic, a chef, or a video editor. If you are doing this part time, to pay for your way thru medical school, I apologize to you deeply.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 16, 2010 at 4:11:04 am

more info your you TJ -

http://www.aja.com/products/converters/converters-hd-hd10am.php

you will need two of these, with the AJA I/O Express -
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&A=cart&Q=...

If you follow what I told you, and look up the brands, you will find cheaper ways to do this.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tim Kirby
on Feb 21, 2010 at 12:00:39 pm

Bob, I'm guilty of having taken exception to your line of humour/advice on this forum in the past...but now I have to say that although sometimes cutting to the bone, your comments are, on the whole, usually pretty much as spot on as they are amusing. I hope the OP can see the funny side.

-----------------------------
Man cannot discover new oceans until he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 21, 2010 at 2:32:31 pm

Hi Tim -
I am glad that you see that I am "trying" to be funny with my posts, although many have always felt that the "Don Rickles insult humor" was never funny at all, and just offending. At the same time, I try to be helpful. With that said, it never ceases to amaze me how SO MANY people will post here for the first time, with the attitude of "look, I really don't care about any of this stuff, and I have other more important things to do, so can someone just tell me what button to hit, or what menu to click on, so I can get on with my life". If a physician did this about new pharmacuticals, or surgical techniques, you would want his license revoked - but hey, it's only television, not brain surgery ! It did "get me" when he wanted to know how to spend very little money, and did not even bother to go to ebay - and sure enough, there was an I/O HD, for less money than anything that he or I had suggested.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]