FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual boot to uitilize IO LA?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Cooper
Dual boot to uitilize IO LA?
on Jan 26, 2010 at 5:11:33 pm

Apple recently replaced my MacBook Pro and it came with Snow Leopard. I primarily work with P2 but occasionally need to work with Beta SP. My IO LA has always worked fine but is no longer supported in Snow Leopard.

While I would love to buy the MXO2 LE, for the meantime I'm about to attempt to setup a dual boot system on the system drive with Leopard and Snow Leopard running FCP 7 on both. It seems that this should be a decent (though annoying) workaround. Anyone know for sure if this should work?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Dual boot to uitilize IO LA?
on Jan 26, 2010 at 10:18:36 pm

I use an ext USB drive with Leopard on it so I can use Duel Adapter and P2 cards, There is no issue. If you have a big HD on the laptop and can do a total reformat you can make a 2 partition drive and install one of the OSs on each and it will work fine. things like drives and FCS apps need to be installed on both (but the media content does not) This would work fine, just requires a reboot.

Return to posts index

Chad Cooper
on Jan 26, 2010 at 11:08:43 pm

Thanks! I'm actually more concerned with getting the IO LA to work with this configuration but your feedback is encouraging.

I'm curious though, any snags while trying to edit from having your OS and FCP installed on a USB drive. Just curious if it's fast enough. If it is I wonder if a 32GB flash drive would work as a boot drive...

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 27, 2010 at 7:41:40 am

Not sure the formatting of flash drives, but USB drives are fine, there is no media being run off of that drive, OS and apps only. But I also don't do any heavy FCP stuff, mostly P2 transferring with the adapter and Shotput. Then checking in FCP.

I also used this set for the IoHD before SL drivers came out. I don't think you will have any problems but always test things out being going into a production situation.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2010 at 9:37:17 pm

Check it:

http://news.creativecow.net/story/863182

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chad Cooper
on Feb 1, 2010 at 9:50:38 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the post Jeremy.

For what it's worth, I'm dual booting my MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and Leopard and it works great. I guess now I can reclaim that second 40gig partition.

Thanks again
Chad

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2010 at 9:52:23 pm

Thank AJA!! :)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 2, 2010 at 11:55:47 pm

you think AJA could write a SL driver for the duel? :-)

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Feb 18, 2010 at 2:51:45 pm

My experience is that a USB Flash memory works slower than an ATA33 hard drive in other words, way to slow to be a workable boot (or other realtime) hard drive unless putting the Operating System and no other software or data installed on it is somehow passable. Save your Flash memory stick for better uses.
by Chad Cooper on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:08:43 pm
Thanks! I'm actually more concerned with getting the IO LA to work with this configuration but your feedback is encouraging.
I'm curious though, any snags while trying to edit from having your OS and FCP installed on a USB drive. Just curious if it's fast enough. If it is I wonder if a 32GB flash drive would work as a boot drive...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]