FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 and io hd

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Schipper
EX3 and io hd
on Jan 25, 2010 at 8:18:15 pm

hello. I am trying to connect an EX3 via SDI to the aja io and then capture in final cut as proRes. the 1st issue is that the AJA control does not see the correct format the camera is spitting out, which is 1080p30. the control sees it as 1080i29.97

so 1 question is does it even matter what the format is on the camera? does the SDI just spit out an HD signal reguardless of the format?

thanks,
Jay

mac pro 2x3 Ghz quad core 4GB snow leap

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: EX3 and io hd
on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:21:56 pm

[Jay Schipper] "the control sees it as 1080i29.97"

AS your camera is outputting psf (and not true p) the ioHD is right. You will set the field dominance flag in FCP as none, and edit in a none timeline.

[Jay Schipper] "so 1 question is does it even matter what the format is on the camera?"

Yes.

[Jay Schipper] "does the SDI just spit out an HD signal reguardless of the format?"

No. It will output what your camera is outputting, unless you set it up differently (down-convert for example). True p over SDI is a rare and specialized setup (although becoming more popular). Most 1080 signals are broadcast over psf, which is progressive material transported over an interlaced stream. Only very recent monitors understand true p in 1080, and almost all non pro monitors won't understand it. They only understand psf.

Jeremy

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jay Schipper
on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:21:49 pm

thank you very much for the info Jeremy!! i might come back to you for more help on the io in the future!

Jay Schipper
mac pro 2x3 Ghz quad 4GB snow leopard.

Return to posts index

Lee Taylor
on Apr 29, 2010 at 6:11:23 pm

Just got an io HD which was just siting in a box in a closet. I normally go off on documentary type of shoots and come back with 5 to 15 hours of EX3 files backed-up on a hard drive. Is there any real advantage to using the io box if I have to convert my files to ProRes 422 as I ingest them? This bypasses the internal ProRes conversion job the io box does.

Return to posts index

Jay Schipper
on Apr 29, 2010 at 6:39:29 pm

i don't think you can ingest xdcam ex into fcp as proRes so you would have to either render all the footage to proRes or use the IO to ingest as proRes but thats real time.

Jay Schipper
mac pro 2x3 Ghz quad 8GB snow leopard.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]