FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aja IoHD surround sound monitoring

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
k hendrickson
Aja IoHD surround sound monitoring
on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:58:13 pm

I have read that you cannot monitor 5.1 surround sound using the Aja IoHD. Can't you take the HDMI out of the unit and send it to a consumer home theater reciever and hear 5.1 surround that way?

Kris

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Aja IoHD surround sound monitoring
on Jan 15, 2010 at 7:02:25 pm

[k hendrickson] "I have read that you cannot monitor 5.1 surround sound using the Aja IoHD. Can't you take the HDMI out of the unit and send it to a consumer home theater reciever and hear 5.1 surround that way"

How are you going to mux the 5.1 sound in FCP? The audio from FCP would be handled as 6 discreet channels.

Since Aja's HDMI connections support the HDCP/ DRM security protocols, any content that has been encoded will not capture or playback via HDMI.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

k hendrickson
on Jan 16, 2010 at 6:26:44 pm

Gary,

I'm dealing with programs which have been recorded in 5.1 surround in our TV and FM studios. Our audio engineers supply the surround sound audio as wave files and we use that to edit the programs in FCP for broadcast. We are playing out the finished shows in 5.1 using the Aja's embedded HD-SDI outs. Is it possible to get that same audio mix from the HDMI out and send that to a speaker system for monitoring playback? Or would the security protocols you mentioned prevent that, even if the content is our own?

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Jan 19, 2010 at 3:30:19 pm

Hi Kris,

I shoot concerts and monitor my audio (5.1 discrete channels) through my iohd. My recording studio mixes for 5.1 and gives me 6 wav files. My workflow is to setup FCP to output to aes on the iohd. I have 2 AJA ADA4 converters that takes the 4 AES out of the IOHD and converts to 8 analog. I have 4 transformers that connect to the ADA4 outputs. Then xlr to rca that plugs into my home theater receiver that has 6 discrete inputs (not all receivers have this). I use the other two to receive the stereo mix. SO my FCP is set up for 8 outs via AES on the IOHD. 6 for 5.1 and 2 for stereo. I can toggle off the 5.1 and stereo from within FCP to do real time audio monitoring.

Jeff

Return to posts index

chris gernon
on Feb 9, 2010 at 7:23:43 pm

I'm duplicating this setup for a Kona 3. What are the 4 transformers mentioned after the ADA4?
cg

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Feb 14, 2010 at 4:46:55 pm

CG,

Sorry for the delay. The transformer takes a 2 channel bnc 110 ohm to 2 channel xlr 75 ohm. Then it goes into the ada4 breakout, through the ada4 and out single channel through the other end of the breakout.

The transformer works one way. if you want to go the other way, into the io, you need the opposite transformer to take the 75 ohm signal back to 110 ohm.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]