FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA ioLA output issues to FCP

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Janzen
AJA ioLA output issues to FCP
on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:18:13 pm

I have an AJA ioLA I've been using for a few years to convert an s-video source (and 2 channel XLR audio) into an iMac (originally was an old G4, changed to a new iMac this year).

Everything worked fine for a couple years, then last year we started having issues with the audio. It would simply make a strange motorboat-type sound (difficult to describe, but would also just peak out the meters). Power cycling the AJA or restarting the computer (or both sometimes) would generally seem to fix it, however now nothing works, so we just bypass the AJA and bring the audio in by converting it down to miniplug and using the build-in audio for audio capture.

However, now the video capture also doesn't seem to work anymore, either. When I first power on the unit, the composite video lights up, even though the only cable attached is s-video. When I open up the capture window in FCP, it switches to the s-video light. It shows the video signal as present on the box and FCP doesn't come up with any device connectivity errors when it starts, but the preview is disabled and if I try to capture, it fails due to "no video signal present".

I set up an Easy Setup for the AJA, but using any of the presets don't work, either. Am using the latest drivers/firmware.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: AJA ioLA output issues to FCP
on Jan 15, 2010 at 2:08:56 pm

[Ricky Janzen] "I have an AJA ioLA I've been using for a few years to convert an s-video source (and 2 channel XLR audio) into an iMac (originally was an old G4, changed to a new iMac this year). "

OK.
there is only one FW port and the Io products take the entire FW bus, by going to an iMac you have created the problem where you may not have enough power to be able to handle your recording.

"When I first power on the unit, the composite video lights up, even though the only cable attached is s-video."
That is the correct power up.

"When I open up the capture window in FCP, it switches to the s-video light. It shows the video signal as present on the box and FCP doesn't come up with any device connectivity errors when it starts, but the preview is disabled and if I try to capture, it fails due to "no video signal present"."

so you are capturing to a FW drive?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Ricky Janzen
on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:49:43 pm

I'm capturing to a network drive (via gigabit ethernet), but had the same results trying to capture to the internal drive. The only firewire attached is the AJA. Are you saying the iMacs aren't innately powerful enough to operate the AJA?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 15, 2010 at 7:17:23 pm

[Ricky Janzen] "Are you saying the iMacs aren't innately powerful enough to operate the AJA? "

iMacs were not certified for use with any of the Aja video hardware solutions, they are architecturally not designed to handle capture and playback from FCS 3.

My response to you question was related to having both the IoHD and storage on the same FW buss- and that can cause issues and is never recommended.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Ricky Janzen
on Jan 15, 2010 at 9:31:25 pm

So would you suggest I move the AJA back to my G4 Mirrored Drive Door? OS would be 10.5.8 with FCP 4.5. It also has a separate Firewire PCI card, although I still wouldn't have any other Firewire devices attached.

Return to posts index

Ricky Janzen
on Jan 19, 2010 at 6:22:59 pm

I moved back to the G4 and the dedicated Firewire card, but still have the same results. Guess I'll have to contact AJA, but there's probably not much they can do (without notable expense) since I've had it for quite some time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]