FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie in Uncompressed world

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Binny Singh
Newbie in Uncompressed world
on Dec 31, 2009 at 6:52:49 am

Hello People.

Pardon me if this post sounds too amateurish to you but i have to ask.

I thought I had a fair knowledge of this business and then i got introduced to the world of uncompressed editing. And now it all is so confusing.

Of what i could gather from Internet and other sources, i understand that thera is 8 Bit video ( with lesser color information ) and a 10 bit video with ( Higher Color Information ). DV, DVCPRO50, DVCPRO HD, HDV & XDCAM are all 8 bit video formats.

Now here are my questions.

1) Is there a SD format that shoots 10 bit video?

2) If all the abovesaid formats are 8 bit videos then is it possible to convert them to 10 bit( I guess Aja Kona3 or IO Hd can do that) ?

3) If the answer to my second question is yes, then Does it really make any significant change in the video quality?

Here's hoping some of you learned souls will enlighten me!

Thanx for reading!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Newbie in Uncompressed world
on Dec 31, 2009 at 4:22:53 pm

[Binny Singh] "Pardon me if this post sounds too amateurish to you but i have to ask."

Rarely can you fault someone for asking a question they don't know the answer to.

[Binny Singh] "
1) Is there a SD format that shoots 10 bit video?"

Not to tape. Digibeta can record 10bits, but the cameras are 8bit.

[Binny Singh] "2) If all the abovesaid formats are 8 bit videos then is it possible to convert them to 10 bit( I guess Aja Kona3 or IO Hd can do that) ?"

You can capture your 8bit tape to a 10bit codec (such as ProRes or 10b Uncompressed) but it won't necessarily add quality to your video, although anything you do to it from then on will maintain the utmost quality. If you produce graphics in 10bit, then you have the luxury of maintaing quality there as well. When I worked in SD, I always produced and mastered in 10bit (even though the tape format was 8bit), as I do know in HD, although it's compressed 10bit as opposed to uncompressed 10 bit.

[Binny Singh] "3) If the answer to my second question is yes, then Does it really make any significant change in the video quality?"

You know what they say, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Some people are just fine with 8 bit video. It really depends on your material. If you produce a lot of graphics and do heavy color correction with some gradients, then you are going to want to work in 10bit. If non of that matters, then you can probably suffice in 8bit. I always try and work 10bit whenever possible and the codec we use to shoot with is 10bit right out of the box. It looks great and does us well, but it's HD and not SD. Also, when using tape sources and capturing over baseband video (SDI or analog component) the video gets nicely decompressed through the deck hardware allowing a very nice capture of 8bit material in a 10bit space. If you stay native (say dv50 or some other firewire capture process) I found that the image quality was not as good as when I captured with a capture card/io device into a 10bit codec.

Hope that helps.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Binny Singh
on Dec 31, 2009 at 5:52:26 pm

Thanx Jeremy!

'Decompressing' is new to me!

So if i want to do some chroma keying to my DV footage i guess i will be better off in 10 bit. Right?

And if i understand it right, in order to decompress we have to use

Either Analong or SDI out of the dv deck => AJA IO Hd => MAC

Hope I am somewhere near if not AT the target!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 31, 2009 at 6:42:52 pm

[Binny Singh] "So if i want to do some chroma keying to my DV footage i guess i will be better off in 10 bit. Right?"

I would suggest it, yes, but the damage has been done on dv footage sue to its' 4:1:1 (NTSC) or 4:2:0 (PAL) DV chroma sampling. There are certain keying packages that attempt to rebuild/enhance this information. I would still capture 10bit, yes.

And yes, you'd need a capture device and a deck with baseband outputs (component or SDI).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Binny Singh
on Jan 1, 2010 at 9:02:14 pm

Hey Jeremy

Happy new year!

What i don't get is that if DV, DVCAM, HDV & XDCAM are all 8 bit video formats then why the heck so many industry people are still using them? I understand affordability could be an issue but could there be another reason?

After all there is not much you can do with 8 bit video, right?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 2, 2010 at 4:22:51 am

[Binny Singh] "I understand affordability could be an issue but could there be another reason?"

Cost is a major concern, but also, there are very fre cameras that shoot natively in 10bit, and they are mostly very recent camera technology.

We used to shoot in 8 bit but post in 10 bit all the time.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]