FORUMS: list search recent posts

Humble question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Göran Thorén
Humble question
on Dec 3, 2009 at 10:38:30 am

Hi all!

I'm no techie and probably never will be but I try the best I can.
I have been going trough different solutions for what I need for an upcomming project and I just get more cofused the more I seek.
What I really need is a way to get the monitor output from a RED camera as a live feed into my mac laptop. I don't need to record anything just be able to get a feed from RED so I can compare and match a still frame from an earlier shot.
I really need to find out which minimal Aja gear I need for this purpose.

Can anyone help me out?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Humble question
on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:29:04 pm

The iohd or ioExpress. I would think you will need to record something to match the two, otherwise how would you compare? Aja has a free capture utility called vtr exchange. You could record a second or two and then open the two shots in a program of your choosing for frame comparison. Problem is, the red tap is 720, and your comparison shot I'm sure is not. It might be a different PAR altogether. What format did you originally shoot?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Dec 3, 2009 at 2:26:59 pm

Hi Jeremy and thank's for your respons!

I was thinking of using a software like conduit or something to overlay a still frame from the live view. The two shots are both are most likely going to be shot on RED.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 3, 2009 at 5:11:48 pm

[Göran Thorén] "I was thinking of using a software like conduit or something to overlay a still frame from the live view."

I think that sounds great. While capturing make take more time, matching shots is never fast. In my opinion, I would take the two seconds it will take to capture something and overlay them on top, rather than look at two different images sides by side, but perhaps you don't have that time.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Dec 3, 2009 at 7:00:37 pm

Jeremy, Conduit lets you do realtime compositing so comparing is not an issue as long as I'm able to get a signal into my laptop.
But I think it's easier to take my mac pro and carry it down to our studio and use that since I have a Kona 3 card in that machine, I just wanted to investigate the possibility to bring a laptop for future fieldwork.

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:04:08 pm

Ok but if the RED output isn't it possible to match angles and objects you mean?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:31:20 pm

[Göran Thorén] "What I really need is a way to get the monitor output from a RED camera as a live feed into my mac laptop. I don't need to record anything just be able to get a feed from RED so I can compare and match a still frame from an earlier shot."

you need a real monitoring solution for this I use a Cine-tal Cinemage display, so that I can feed a live HDSDI stream into one side of the monitor and then using either Iridas Speedgrade or PhotoShop via DVI into the other side of the display allows for quick and easy side by side viewing on a color corrected display.

This method allows the live camera to be corrected with the match frame in a controlled manner- Jeremy's method requires you to capture then look at the color matching- while cost effective, is sometime too slow for a fast moving shoot.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:58:55 pm

Thank's Gary!
Actually it's a still shot with locked off camera on both scenes no movements what so ever.
All I need is to match the framing and perspective.
I have a good monitor and your solution would probably work just fine, thank's again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]