FORUMS: list search recent posts

IOHD goes offline/dropping frames after a crash

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Knowles
IOHD goes offline/dropping frames after a crash
on Dec 3, 2009 at 2:55:45 am

I had a really bad crash last week that froze the whole system. FCP was running with the IOHD attached, and after I rebooted I was having problems getting the system to work with the IOHD again; FCP would not recognize when the IO was on and then the MacPro would just freeze up a few seconds later. After updating the firmware and drivers for the IoHD (v7, supposed to still work with FCP 6.06 right?) and trashing prefs in FCP, I can now at least get things running without freezing. But:

1. I drop frames when playing video through the IoHD. My test was DVCProHD 720p60. Media is on a SCSI RAID. This has not happened before with this setup.

2. The IOHD keeps going 'Offline' for just a split second, then coming back on. I can see it happening with the AJA Control Panel open, and on the connected monitor there's a brief hit like a blip. I think the two issues are related.

I've run the IoHD on a MacBookPro and it behaves normally, with no glitches, so I believe it is not the unit at fault. If it is my MacPro, what can I do to fix this? Reinstall OSX? Or is it possible I've damaged my Firewire bus?

JK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: IOHD goes offline/dropping frames after a crash
on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:30:35 pm

Did you uninstall the drivers first?

Any other FireWire devices connected?

Return to posts index

John Knowles
on Dec 3, 2009 at 7:06:46 pm

Did not uninstall first, no. Let me try that and see if clears it up.

No other FW devices, no.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 3, 2009 at 7:23:48 pm

Yes, I'd try the uninstall first. Then reinstall and make sure the firmware is up to date.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Knowles
on Dec 4, 2009 at 3:33:06 am

Hey Jeremy,

Tried uninstalling then reinstalling the 7.1 driver but same behavior on the Mac Pro. Swapped out FW800 cable too just to be safe, no dice.

AJA tech support just told me to exchange for RMA, but the thing is the IoHD is running FINE with my MacbookPro. I've only done limited testing with a few 720p DVCPHD clips on a FW400 drive (via PCE card) but there's no dropped frames or glitches; the unit stays online throughout.

Really, really weird. I may do a fresh install of OSX on a new drive and see if that helps. If that doesn't change anything then... damaged FW bus??

Return to posts index

John Knowles
on Dec 4, 2009 at 3:53:06 am

EDIT: the plot thickens!!

I just swapped the IOHD back over to the MacPro but I switched to the FW800 port on the FRONT.

Works fine.

Methinks I done killed the FW port in the back.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 4, 2009 at 2:48:28 pm

Yep, sounds like it. Good sleuthing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]